Start Menu & The Link to Documents Wrong

=?Utf-8?B?UFBL?=

Start Menu & The Link to Documents Wrong
When I click on the "Documents" link from the Start menu, it takes me to the
current user folder instead of "Documents", ie the same as the current user
link.

Is there any way I can fix this error, I have tried right clicking and
selecting properties, but the location tab is missing. However the location
tab is still available for "Pictures" & "Music" but not for "Documents"
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Start Menu & The Link to Documents Wrong
PPK

That is strange.

Right click Documents on the Start Menu and select Properties. Select the
Previous Versions Tab. Select a recent version of the folder and click the
Restore Button.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"PPK" <PPK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I click on the "Documents" link from the Start menu, it takes me to
> the
> current user folder instead of "Documents", ie the same as the current
> user
> link.
>
> Is there any way I can fix this error, I have tried right clicking and
> selecting properties, but the location tab is missing. However the
> location
> tab is still available for "Pictures" & "Music" but not for "Documents"

=?Utf-8?B?RGVhbi1EZWFu?=

RE: Start Menu & The Link to Documents Wrong
In the registry editor, the following

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

the default in Vista for the value name "Personal" should have the value data
"%USERPROFILE%\Documents".

"PPK" wrote:

> When I click on the "Documents" link from the Start menu, it takes me to the
> current user folder instead of "Documents", ie the same as the current user
> link.
>
> Is there any way I can fix this error, I have tried right clicking and
> selecting properties, but the location tab is missing. However the location
> tab is still available for "Pictures" & "Music" but not for "Documents"

=?Utf-8?B?UFBL?=

Re: Start Menu & The Link to Documents Wrong
Thanks for your help guys, both articles were very helpful, and I have
managed to sort out my initial problem – however...
I copied my documents from my old XP installation into the “Documents”
folder, however they also show up in the “User” folder, appearing as if
there were two copies of each.
The location tab still does not show up when I right click on the
“Documents” link, however it does for the “Pictures & Music” links.
Is there any way to reset the “Documents” folder to clear up these issues?
Ronnie: I do not see the previous versions tab, does this come with Vista
Home Premium?

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium – Full Edition.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> PPK
>
> That is strange.
>
> Right click Documents on the Start Menu and select Properties. Select the
> Previous Versions Tab. Select a recent version of the folder and click the
> Restore Button.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "PPK" <PPK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I click on the "Documents" link from the Start menu, it takes me to
> > the
> > current user folder instead of "Documents", ie the same as the current
> > user
> > link.
> >
> > Is there any way I can fix this error, I have tried right clicking and
> > selecting properties, but the location tab is missing. However the
> > location
> > tab is still available for "Pictures" & "Music" but not for "Documents"

=?Utf-8?B?RGVhbi1EZWFu?=

Re: Start Menu & The Link to Documents Wrong
If you type shellersonal in the Start Search box in the Start Menu, where
does the shellersonal link take you, in the results list?

Besides the registry key value and data stated in my previous post, try

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders

There should be a value name "Personal", with the value data "C:\Users\(YOUR
USER NAME)\Documents".

Shadow Copy, which gives the option for the 'previous version' of a file, in
its properties, is only available in Business, Ultimate and Enterprise
editions.

"Dean-Dean" wrote:

> If you type shellersonal in the Start Search box in the Start Menu, where
> does the shellersonal link take you, in the results list?

It takes me to "Documents"