Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Search Indexing won't work at all - greyed out

microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2008
PaulaSnap
 

Posts: n/a
Search Indexing won't work at all - greyed out
I've had my Vista-based laptop four months now, and finally getting enough
email and files that searches are becoming a problem...My indexing doesn't
exist somehow. Does anyone know how to turn it on?

I've gone into the Indexing Options in the control panel - everything is
greyed out except the CLOSE button. No files are listed, and I cannot click
on MODIFY or ADVANCED.

When I'm in MS Outlook and Click on "Indexing Status", I get a pop up error
message saying " Cannot find this file. Verify the path and file name are
correct.

I have several PST files that I use for work and inevitably my searches will
exclude half of my emails. Lately I've had to troll file by file through my
emails.. not pretty

I've been unable to find anything in online Help relating to this situation.
Has anyone seen it before and if so, what am I missing; what do I need to do?

THANKS in advance
--
Paula
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2008
cornell2
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Search Indexing won't work at all - greyed out

I've had this same problem too (for weeks and weeks).

I've also tried the instructions in that link - apparently everything
on the net links to
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/85...h-service.html


No luck (have tried it many times and many variations).

I have Vista-Home edition. Service pack 1 - all updates applied.

The Indexing Options "box" is all grayed out. I cannot edit anything.
And again - the instructions in "How to Fix the Start Error for
Windows Search Service to Enable the Index in Vista" have all been
done.

Anytime I search using explorer I get some message about turning on
indexing (and when I click, it tells me indexing not available). And
this causes even more havoc within Outlook contact list searches
(apparently uses the same indexing)

HELP!

Thanks ; )


--
cornell2
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2008
Bob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Search Indexing won't work at all - greyed out
Run sfc /scannow.
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"cornell2" <cornell2.3742g5@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:cornell2.3742g5@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> I've had this same problem too (for weeks and weeks).
>
> I've also tried the instructions in that link - apparently everything
> on the net links to
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/85...h-service.html
>
>
> No luck (have tried it many times and many variations).
>
> I have Vista-Home edition. Service pack 1 - all updates applied.
>
> The Indexing Options "box" is all grayed out. I cannot edit anything.
> And again - the instructions in "How to Fix the Start Error for
> Windows Search Service to Enable the Index in Vista" have all been
> done.
>
> Anytime I search using explorer I get some message about turning on
> indexing (and when I click, it tells me indexing not available). And
> this causes even more havoc within Outlook contact list searches
> (apparently uses the same indexing)
>
> HELP!
>
> Thanks ; )
>
>
> --
> cornell2


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2008
cornell2
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Search Indexing won't work at all - greyed out

OK .. reporting back.
ran ... SFC /Scannow
saw a quick flicker of a dos command window pop up and disappear. And
that's it. Indexing etc still severly broken.
Perhaps there were more details to the solution?





Bob;667849 Wrote:
> Run sfc /scannow.
> -------
> *Report back, please*
> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying
> to so
> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>
> [How to ask a question]
> 'How to ask a question' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375)
>
> "cornell2" <cornell2.3742g5@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> news:cornell2.3742g5@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net...> > >
> > >
> > > I've had this same problem too (for weeks and weeks).
> > >
> > > I've also tried the instructions in that link - apparently

> > everything
> > > on the net links to
> > >

> > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/85...h-service.html
> > >
> > >
> > > No luck (have tried it many times and many variations).
> > >
> > > I have Vista-Home edition. Service pack 1 - all updates applied.
> > >
> > > The Indexing Options "box" is all grayed out. I cannot edit

> > anything.
> > > And again - the instructions in "How to Fix the Start Error for
> > > Windows Search Service to Enable the Index in Vista" have all been
> > > done.
> > >
> > > Anytime I search using explorer I get some message about turning on
> > > indexing (and when I click, it tells me indexing not available).

> > And
> > > this causes even more havoc within Outlook contact list searches
> > > (apparently uses the same indexing)
> > >
> > > HELP!
> > >
> > > Thanks ; )
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > cornell2 > >



--
cornell2
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2008
Bob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Search Indexing won't work at all - greyed out
Run sfc /scannow in Safe Mode.

If no joy:

Do a thorough check for malware, following all of the steps at one of these
Web pages.
Help with malware:
All MS-MVP Sites.
Consider this: Whenever a new error condition appears on your computer, it
is almost certain that there was some change to the computer soon before the
problem began.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php

Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
For quite a few people it's by installing programs like Messenger Plus,
whose ads for malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince
you that you owe it to the author. See also:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971

Don't ever do a "default" install of anything. Always choose Custom and see
what else is
being carried along. Don't install any extras you're not sure of.
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"cornell2" <cornell2.375edb@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:cornell2.375edb@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> OK .. reporting back.
> ran ... SFC /Scannow
> saw a quick flicker of a dos command window pop up and disappear. And
> that's it. Indexing etc still severly broken.
> Perhaps there were more details to the solution?
>
>
>
>
>
> Bob;667849 Wrote:
>> Run sfc /scannow.
>> -------
>> *Report back, please*
>> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying
>> to so
>> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>>
>> [How to ask a question]
>> 'How to ask a question' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375)
>>
>> "cornell2" <cornell2.3742g5@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>> news:cornell2.3742g5@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net...> > >
>> > >
>> > > I've had this same problem too (for weeks and weeks).
>> > >
>> > > I've also tried the instructions in that link - apparently
>> > everything
>> > > on the net links to
>> > >
>> > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/85...h-service.html
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > No luck (have tried it many times and many variations).
>> > >
>> > > I have Vista-Home edition. Service pack 1 - all updates applied.
>> > >
>> > > The Indexing Options "box" is all grayed out. I cannot edit
>> > anything.
>> > > And again - the instructions in "How to Fix the Start Error for
>> > > Windows Search Service to Enable the Index in Vista" have all been
>> > > done.
>> > >
>> > > Anytime I search using explorer I get some message about turning on
>> > > indexing (and when I click, it tells me indexing not available).
>> > And
>> > > this causes even more havoc within Outlook contact list searches
>> > > (apparently uses the same indexing)
>> > >
>> > > HELP!
>> > >
>> > > Thanks ; )
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > --
>> > > cornell2 > >

>
>
> --
> cornell2


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2008
cornell2
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Search Indexing won't work at all - greyed out

I will try it - but I need to point out that this entire thread is about
several people experiencing this problem (as well as many others all
around the net).

The problem did not suddenly appear - but is one that many people
experience with Vista. I've been having this issue for months and
months (I guess for as long as I've had vista)

Also I am quite certain I've got all the basics covered (no virus s/w
conflicts, malware etc etc).

I don't think this issue is specific to my machine. There are a set
of odd conditions on Vista that causes this state of affairs (just like
the ubiquitous complaint that Vista is amazingly slow in
copying/renaming/deleting files - this is not due to any newbie blunder,
but is a major downside of vista)

Thanks for the attempt. Has anyone had direct experience with this
specific indexing issue?



Bob;668178 Wrote:
> Run sfc /scannow in Safe Mode.
>
> If no joy:
>
> Do a thorough check for malware, following all of the steps at one of
> these
> Web pages.
> Help with malware:
> All MS-MVP Sites.
> Consider this: Whenever a new error condition appears on your computer,
> it
> is almost certain that there was some change to the computer soon
> before the
> problem began.
> 'The Parasite Fight' (http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm)
> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
> 'Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315)
> 'The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol'
> (http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm)
> 'page2'
> (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware)
> 'Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites'
> (http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm)
> 'All about spyware' (http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html)
> 'Prevent Spyware from being installed'
> (http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm)
> 'The Parasite Fight' (http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php)
>
> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
> 'Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315)
>
> So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
> For quite a few people it's by installing programs like Messenger
> Plus,
> whose ads for malware don't identify the malware as such and try to
> convince
> you that you owe it to the author. See also:
> 'Why did I get infected in the first place - Wilders Security Forums'
> (http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971)
>
> Don't ever do a "default" install of anything. Always choose Custom and
> see
> what else is
> being carried along. Don't install any extras you're not sure of.
> -------
> *Report back, please*
> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying
> to so
> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>
> [How to ask a question]
> 'How to ask a question' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375)
>
> "cornell2" <cornell2.375edb@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> news:cornell2.375edb@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net...> > >
> > >
> > > OK .. reporting back.
> > > ran ... SFC /Scannow
> > > saw a quick flicker of a dos command window pop up and disappear.

> > And
> > > that's it. Indexing etc still severly broken.
> > > Perhaps there were more details to the solution?
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Bob;667849 Wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > cornell2 > >



--
cornell2
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2008
Dave Wood [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Search Indexing won't work at all - greyed out
I would suggest trying the preview of Windows Search 4, which updates the
Vista indexer with a newer version with many bug fixes:

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...0-preview.aspx


"cornell2" <cornell2.375j83@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:cornell2.375j83@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> I will try it - but I need to point out that this entire thread is about
> several people experiencing this problem (as well as many others all
> around the net).
>
> The problem did not suddenly appear - but is one that many people
> experience with Vista. I've been having this issue for months and
> months (I guess for as long as I've had vista)
>
> Also I am quite certain I've got all the basics covered (no virus s/w
> conflicts, malware etc etc).
>
> I don't think this issue is specific to my machine. There are a set
> of odd conditions on Vista that causes this state of affairs (just like
> the ubiquitous complaint that Vista is amazingly slow in
> copying/renaming/deleting files - this is not due to any newbie blunder,
> but is a major downside of vista)
>
> Thanks for the attempt. Has anyone had direct experience with this
> specific indexing issue?
>
>
>
> Bob;668178 Wrote:
>> Run sfc /scannow in Safe Mode.
>>
>> If no joy:
>>
>> Do a thorough check for malware, following all of the steps at one of
>> these
>> Web pages.
>> Help with malware:
>> All MS-MVP Sites.
>> Consider this: Whenever a new error condition appears on your computer,
>> it
>> is almost certain that there was some change to the computer soon
>> before the
>> problem began.
>> 'The Parasite Fight' (http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm)
>> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
>> 'Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software'
>> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315)
>> 'The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol'
>> (http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm)
>> 'page2'
>> (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware)
>> 'Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites'
>> (http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm)
>> 'All about spyware' (http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html)
>> 'Prevent Spyware from being installed'
>> (http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm)
>> 'The Parasite Fight' (http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php)
>>
>> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
>> 'Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software'
>> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315)
>>
>> So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
>> For quite a few people it's by installing programs like Messenger
>> Plus,
>> whose ads for malware don't identify the malware as such and try to
>> convince
>> you that you owe it to the author. See also:
>> 'Why did I get infected in the first place - Wilders Security Forums'
>> (http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971)
>>
>> Don't ever do a "default" install of anything. Always choose Custom and
>> see
>> what else is
>> being carried along. Don't install any extras you're not sure of.
>> -------
>> *Report back, please*
>> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying
>> to so
>> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>>
>> [How to ask a question]
>> 'How to ask a question' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375)
>>
>> "cornell2" <cornell2.375edb@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>> news:cornell2.375edb@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net...> > >
>> > >
>> > > OK .. reporting back.
>> > > ran ... SFC /Scannow
>> > > saw a quick flicker of a dos command window pop up and disappear.
>> > And
>> > > that's it. Indexing etc still severly broken.
>> > > Perhaps there were more details to the solution?
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > Bob;667849 Wrote:
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > --
>> > > cornell2 > >

>
>
> --
> cornell2


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista Search not working, options greyed out - how do I get it bac Petter microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 9 03-31-2008 16:33
Windows search doesn't work - indexing stopped MC microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 03-01-2008 23:36
Problems with Vista Search and indexing Nigel Freeney microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 08-09-2007 09:11
Vista indexing help - cannot search in Office apps. dkiernan@kccomputersales.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 07-23-2007 13:59
Old XP Indexing vs New Vista Search bvandew microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 13 04-24-2007 21:15




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:08.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120