"Calculating time remaining" when moving files/folders

just bob

"Calculating time remaining" when moving files/folders
My last thread perhaps was not to the point

My problem is, when I drag and drop to move a folder of 20GB of photos to a
different subfolder on my C drive of my Dell D820 laptop running Vista
Ultimate, there is a dialog box which says "Calculating time remaining".

My work is in these folders so I am very concerned. I have done some testing
moving this folder around and it seems consistently take about 30 seconds
for the "Calculating" dialog box to go away and begin actually moving the
files.

In WindowsXP I could do this and the folder and files were moved
immediately. Is there a way to get this same peace of mind and performance
in Windows Vista?

Thank you,
-Bob

Synapse Syndrome

Re: "Calculating time remaining" when moving files/folders

"just bob" <kilbyfan-aol@net.com> wrote in message
> My last thread perhaps was not to the point
>
> My problem is, when I drag and drop to move a folder of 20GB of photos to
> a different subfolder on my C drive of my Dell D820 laptop running Vista
> Ultimate, there is a dialog box which says "Calculating time remaining".
>
> My work is in these folders so I am very concerned. I have done some
> testing moving this folder around and it seems consistently take about 30
> seconds for the "Calculating" dialog box to go away and begin actually
> moving the files.
>
> In WindowsXP I could do this and the folder and files were moved
> immediately. Is there a way to get this same peace of mind and performance
> in Windows Vista?

There has been disussions about this a lot here over the last three months.
It happens when deleting stuff as well. Hopefully MS will fix this soon
with an update, as this current state of affairs is appaling. I can't wait
for SP1.

ss.

Xenomorph

Re: "Calculating time remaining" when moving files/folders
so what are you going to do when SP1 comes out and none of the issues people
have get addressed?

--
http://xenomorph.net/

"Xenomorph" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> so what are you going to do when SP1 comes out and none of the issues
> people have get addressed?

I'll kick you arse

ss.