File Manager type program for use with Vista ??

kraut

File Manager type program for use with Vista ??

Is there a program for Vista similar to the old File Manager
(winfile.exe) program from the Windows 3.1 days that will work with
Windows Vista? Looking for something simple and easy to use.

Please do not tell me how easy Explorer is. It may be but I am asking
if there a program for Vista similar to the old File Manager
(winfile.exe) program from the Windows 3.1 days that will work with
Windows Vista?

TIA

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: File Manager type program for use with Vista ??
I've forgotten what the WIN3.1 file manager looked like because I went
over to Norton Desktop for Windows which I loved because I could have
two sets of panes showing the files and so easily drag and drop from
one to another.

Now I use a program that gives similar results (and more) called either
Explorer Plus (which version now seems to have gone completely) or
PowerDesk.

It has the same dual pane display of files (if that's what you want)
and a host of other features including a Fast Find and a function under
Edit that enables you to copy a file name or a path to a file from the
file manager display.

Check out:

http://www.v-com.com/product/PowerDesk_Pro_Home.html

and for that one there is a free version that is not as fully featured
that is on their download page:

http://www.v-com.com/download/download_free.html

I'm running ExplorerPlus under VISTA so PowerDesk ought to run OK
although it only mentions XP.

Richard Urban

Re: File Manager type program for use with Vista ??
Try Total Commander 6.56. I have been using this for 8-10 years now and
wouldn't be without it.

Google for it.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"kraut" <NewsGroupsPlease@NewsGroupsPlease.org> wrote in message

> Is there a program for Vista similar to the old File Manager
> (winfile.exe) program from the Windows 3.1 days that will work with
> Windows Vista? Looking for something simple and easy to use.
>
> Please do not tell me how easy Explorer is. It may be but I am asking
> if there a program for Vista similar to the old File Manager
> (winfile.exe) program from the Windows 3.1 days that will work with
> Windows Vista?
>
> TIA

kraut

Re: File Manager type program for use with Vista ??

>I've forgotten what the WIN3.1 file manager looked like because I went
>over to Norton Desktop for Windows which I loved because I could have
>two sets of panes showing the files and so easily drag and drop from
>one to another.
>
>Now I use a program that gives similar results (and more) called either
>Explorer Plus (which version now seems to have gone completely) or
>PowerDesk.
>
>It has the same dual pane display of files (if that's what you want)
>and a host of other features including a Fast Find and a function under
>Edit that enables you to copy a file name or a path to a file from the
>file manager display.
>
>Check out:
>
>http://www.v-com.com/product/PowerDesk_Pro_Home.html
>
>and for that one there is a free version that is not as fully featured
>that is on their download page:
>
>http://www.v-com.com/download/download_free.html
>
>I'm running ExplorerPlus under VISTA so PowerDesk ought to run OK
>although it only mentions XP.

Thanks for suggestions but none look like or sound like what I am
looking for.

The old File Manager list directories in left pane and files in right
pane and that is all. Just file names and directories.

I can not belive that MS still has this (File Manager) available on it
web site for download at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q85557/

Thanks again.

In article <aouqu2ltprvpprjbgt4tcnf0iqcutvmt05@4ax.com>, Kraut wrote:

> The old File Manager list directories in left pane and files in right
> pane and that is all.

Change in VISTA to Clasic View?

Mike Matheny

Re: File Manager type program for use with Vista ??
In article <aouqu2ltprvpprjbgt4tcnf0iqcutvmt05@4ax.com>, kraut says...

> >I've forgotten what the WIN3.1 file manager looked like because I went
> >over to Norton Desktop for Windows which I loved because I could have
> >two sets of panes showing the files and so easily drag and drop from
> >one to another.
> >
> >Now I use a program that gives similar results (and more) called either
> >Explorer Plus (which version now seems to have gone completely) or
> >PowerDesk.
> >
> >It has the same dual pane display of files (if that's what you want)
> >and a host of other features including a Fast Find and a function under
> >Edit that enables you to copy a file name or a path to a file from the
> >file manager display.
> >
> >Check out:
> >
> >http://www.v-com.com/product/PowerDesk_Pro_Home.html
> >
> >and for that one there is a free version that is not as fully featured
> >that is on their download page:
> >
> >http://www.v-com.com/download/download_free.html
> >
> >I'm running ExplorerPlus under VISTA so PowerDesk ought to run OK
> >although it only mentions XP.

> Thanks for suggestions but none look like or sound like what I am
> looking for.
>
> The old File Manager list directories in left pane and files in right
> pane and that is all. Just file names and directories.
>
> I can not belive that MS still has this (File Manager) available on it
> web site for download at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q85557/
>
> Thanks again.

In PowerDesk you can make it drives/folder left, files right. Download it and
try it, it is not bad!
--
Mike Matheny
Ilia Sacson [MS]

Re: File Manager type program for use with Vista ??
Dear Mike,

I've used various Norton Commander clones for the past 15 years, try
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Commander or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAR_Manager.

Best regards,
Ilia

"Mike Matheny" <thomasdotmdotmatheny@nasadotgov> wrote in message
> In article <aouqu2ltprvpprjbgt4tcnf0iqcutvmt05@4ax.com>, kraut says...
>

>> >I've forgotten what the WIN3.1 file manager looked like because I went
>> >over to Norton Desktop for Windows which I loved because I could have
>> >two sets of panes showing the files and so easily drag and drop from
>> >one to another.
>> >
>> >Now I use a program that gives similar results (and more) called either
>> >Explorer Plus (which version now seems to have gone completely) or
>> >PowerDesk.
>> >
>> >It has the same dual pane display of files (if that's what you want)
>> >and a host of other features including a Fast Find and a function under
>> >Edit that enables you to copy a file name or a path to a file from the
>> >file manager display.
>> >
>> >Check out:
>> >
>> >http://www.v-com.com/product/PowerDesk_Pro_Home.html
>> >
>> >and for that one there is a free version that is not as fully featured
>> >that is on their download page:
>> >
>> >http://www.v-com.com/download/download_free.html
>> >
>> >I'm running ExplorerPlus under VISTA so PowerDesk ought to run OK
>> >although it only mentions XP.

>> Thanks for suggestions but none look like or sound like what I am
>> looking for.
>>
>> The old File Manager list directories in left pane and files in right
>> pane and that is all. Just file names and directories.
>>
>> I can not belive that MS still has this (File Manager) available on it
>> web site for download at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q85557/
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>

> In PowerDesk you can make it drives/folder left, files right. Download it
> and
> try it, it is not bad!
> --
> Mike Matheny

Pete

Re: File Manager type program for use with Vista ??
Hi,
I highly recommend ZTree, you can get it as a 30 day trial at www.ztree.com
In the olden days I also used Norton Commander, but I used mostly XTree.(DOS
und it's not made anymore) Ztree is a new development vaguely based on Xtree
and it is constantly worked on and updated, like the commander, Ztree can
also show 2 directories, hardrives etc. (just hit F8) and copy, move,
rename, graft etc. from one to the other. It runs under all
Windows-Versions, even Vista. Commands are entered with the keyboard.
btw, I am not working for, nor affiliated with Ztree,
I just think this program is great. Try it, you'll like it!

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )Just be happy and keep on smiling!
Regards
Pete

"Mike Matheny" <thomasdotmdotmatheny@nasadotgov> wrote in message
> In article <aouqu2ltprvpprjbgt4tcnf0iqcutvmt05@4ax.com>, kraut says...
>

>> >I've forgotten what the WIN3.1 file manager looked like because I went
>> >over to Norton Desktop for Windows which I loved because I could have
>> >two sets of panes showing the files and so easily drag and drop from
>> >one to another.
>> >
>> >Now I use a program that gives similar results (and more) called either
>> >Explorer Plus (which version now seems to have gone completely) or
>> >PowerDesk.
>> >
>> >It has the same dual pane display of files (if that's what you want)
>> >and a host of other features including a Fast Find and a function under
>> >Edit that enables you to copy a file name or a path to a file from the
>> >file manager display.
>> >
>> >Check out:
>> >
>> >http://www.v-com.com/product/PowerDesk_Pro_Home.html
>> >
>> >and for that one there is a free version that is not as fully featured
>> >that is on their download page:
>> >
>> >http://www.v-com.com/download/download_free.html
>> >
>> >I'm running ExplorerPlus under VISTA so PowerDesk ought to run OK
>> >although it only mentions XP.

>> Thanks for suggestions but none look like or sound like what I am
>> looking for.
>>
>> The old File Manager list directories in left pane and files in right
>> pane and that is all. Just file names and directories.
>>
>> I can not belive that MS still has this (File Manager) available on it
>> web site for download at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q85557/
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>

> In PowerDesk you can make it drives/folder left, files right. Download it
> and
> try it, it is not bad!
> --
> Mike Matheny

roman modic

Re: File Manager type program for use with Vista ??
Hello!

"Ilia Sacson [MS]" <ilias@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%23fehoDUfHHA.4128@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Dear Mike,
>
> I've used various Norton Commander clones for the past 15 years, try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Commander or
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAR_Manager.

FAR manager is really great little app.
IMHO it will be very useful in Windows Server Core
BTW, here is the latest build (FAR 1.71 2217)
http://enforum.farmanager.com/viewtopic.php?t=561

OTOH, a lot of people recommend Directory Opus.
V9 with Vista support will be released tomorrow:
http://www.gpsoft.com.au/History9.html
http://nudel.dopus.com/opus9/

For example, new version will add breadcrumbs to Windows XP:
http://nudel.dopus.com/opus9/page2.html#breadcrumbs

Regards, Roman