how to recover files

terrybrian

how to recover files
Hello,

Iíve accidentally erased a file that is of need to me. It was on NTFS.
Is there any way or utility that can be used to recover the file? I
need the best one, which gives me maximum recovery chances.
Malke

Re: how to recover files
terrybrian wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Iíve accidentally erased a file that is of need to me. It was on NTFS.
> Is there any way or utility that can be used to recover the file? I
> need the best one, which gives me maximum recovery chances.

Standard caveat: DO NOTHING FURTHER ON THE DRIVE. The data is still on
the hard drive but if you overwrite it, it will be extremely difficult
or impossible to recover it. If you use data recovery software, install
it on another machine and either use it from that operating system or
create a bootable cd/floppy and work with that. If you don't have the
skill and/or equipment to do these procedures and the data is crucial,
take the machine to a professional computer repair shop that has
experience in doing data recovery. This will not be your local version
of BigStoreUSA. In-shop data recovery is usually not exactly cheap (for
ex., my charges are generally $150-350USD), but it normally costs less
than sending the drive to a company like Drive Savers. You need to make
the determination of the value of your data and decide what to do.

Here are links to some data recovery software. I use Easy Recovery Pro;
R-Studio is also highly recommended.

http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
PCInspector File Recovery -
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/welcome.htm
Executive Software ďUndeleteĒ -
http://www.execsoft.com/undelete/undelete.asp
R-Studio - http://www.r-tt.com/
File Scavenger - http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm
Ontrack's EasyRecovery - http://www.ontrack.com/software/

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: how to recover files
Right-click on the folder that contained the file and then click Restore
Previous Versions. Click a folder in the list that is dated prior to the
deletion. Open the folder and from there you should see the file you
deleted.

news:106107_21fdf0af336121f45bbbebe9a691c1ff@0000. com...

Jill Zoeller [MSFT] wrote:
> Right-click on the folder that contained the file and then click Restore
> Previous Versions. Click a folder in the list that is dated prior to the
> deletion. Open the folder and from there you should see the file you
> deleted.

Is this function in all versions of Vista?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Jane C

Re: how to recover files
Shadow Copy which gives the option for the 'previous version' of a file is
only available in Business, Ultimate and Enterprise editions.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> Jill Zoeller [MSFT] wrote:
>> Right-click on the folder that contained the file and then click Restore
>> Previous Versions. Click a folder in the list that is dated prior to the
>> deletion. Open the folder and from there you should see the file you
>> deleted.
>>

> Is this function in all versions of Vista?
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Re: how to recover files
Jane C wrote:
> Shadow Copy which gives the option for the 'previous version' of a file
> is only available in Business, Ultimate and Enterprise editions.

Thanks, Jane. I figured that out after spending some time on MS's site.
Unfortunately, most of my client base will be using Home Premium so this
is just another one of those functions left out of that version. I won't
be out of the data recovery business any time soon. ;-)

BTW, I always enjoy reading your posts.

Malke