Search not looking in Outlook 2007 Deleted Items

=?Utf-8?B?R1JF?=

Search not looking in Outlook 2007 Deleted Items
I loved MSN Desktop search on XP ... it looked in my deleted items in outlook
automoaticlly.

Upgrading to Vista has been *great* with one exception: It won't search my
Outlook Deleted items ... and I can't find how to modify this.

In Outlook 2007, there's an option to turn on searching in deleted items,
but this DOES NOT affect Windows Vista Search ... it won't look in deleted
items no matter what settings I dig for.

Is there a way to correct this to work the way MSN Desktop Search worked on
WIndows XP? I saw one post to regularly move your deleted items to another
folder, but that's a huge pain. Just need it to work the way it did on XP ...

Also, in my archve folders, I"m concerned it's not searching there either.

Any ideas??
Puppy Breath

Re: Search not looking in Outlook 2007 Deleted Items
I don't know the actual answer to this. But taking a guess, Vista searches
are conducted through a search index, like Google and other search engines
use. In order to keep the search index lean, items in Deleted Items and Junk
E-mail folders are probably considered "trash" and therefore not worth
putting in the index. If you take any items you don't intend to delete out
of Delete Items and put them in some other folder of items that you do
intend to keep, they should show up in your searches.

"GRE" <GRE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I loved MSN Desktop search on XP ... it looked in my deleted items in
>outlook
> automoaticlly.
>
> Upgrading to Vista has been *great* with one exception: It won't search my
> Outlook Deleted items ... and I can't find how to modify this.
>
> In Outlook 2007, there's an option to turn on searching in deleted items,
> but this DOES NOT affect Windows Vista Search ... it won't look in deleted
> items no matter what settings I dig for.
>
> Is there a way to correct this to work the way MSN Desktop Search worked
> on
> WIndows XP? I saw one post to regularly move your deleted items to
> another
> folder, but that's a huge pain. Just need it to work the way it did on XP
>
> Also, in my archve folders, I"m concerned it's not searching there either.
>
> Any ideas??

DevilsPGD

Re: Search not looking in Outlook 2007 Deleted Items
In message <40368B3E-6632-4052-99F7-AA3CFBC4811A@microsoft.com> GRE
<GRE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Upgrading to Vista has been *great* with one exception: It won't search my
>Outlook Deleted items ... and I can't find how to modify this.

Try this...

Outlook --> Tools menu --> Options --> [Preferences] tab --> "Search
Options" button --> Try the "Include messages from the Deleted Items
folder"
--
Insert something clever here.
=?Utf-8?B?R1JF?=

Re: Search not looking in Outlook 2007 Deleted Items
I did the option you outline below in outlook 2007 already; no luck. It
didn't change a thing. I deleted and reindexed after to no avail.

The MSN Search / Windows Live search in Windows XP will find deleted items.
It's odd that Vista Search will not. Also, Google would as well, I used
earlier versions before I found MSN Search better.

So thanks for the reply; just doesn't work.

"DevilsPGD" wrote:

> In message <40368B3E-6632-4052-99F7-AA3CFBC4811A@microsoft.com> GRE
> <GRE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Upgrading to Vista has been *great* with one exception: It won't search my
> >Outlook Deleted items ... and I can't find how to modify this.

> Try this...
>
> Outlook --> Tools menu --> Options --> [Preferences] tab --> "Search
> Options" button --> Try the "Include messages from the Deleted Items
> folder"
> --
> Insert something clever here.

Dave Wood [MS]

Re: Search not looking in Outlook 2007 Deleted Items
We mark the contents of the Deleted Items {and Junk Mail} folders as hidden,
so they are indexed but don't show up in search results by default. You need
to go to Folder Options in Windows Explorer, and then select "Show Hidden
Files and Folders" to see these items in searches.

Hope this helps,

Dave

In message <eLQv2d2XHHA.3848@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> "Dave Wood [MS]"
<davewood@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We mark the contents of the Deleted Items {and Junk Mail} folders as hidden,
>so they are indexed but don't show up in search results by default. You need
>to go to Folder Options in Windows Explorer, and then select "Show Hidden
>Files and Folders" to see these items in searches.
>
>Hope this helps,

Very cool, thanks.
--
Insert something clever here.
=?Utf-8?B?R1JF?=

Re: Search not looking in Outlook 2007 Deleted Items
WORKS PERFECT>>>> Thanks!

Ya' know, I saw that, and almost chose that option, but then said,
"Microsoft wouldn't bury such an important feature in such an obscure way,
would they?" They would, and they did! Pox on my house for doubting MSFT's
ability to bury key features ...

"Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:

> We mark the contents of the Deleted Items {and Junk Mail} folders as hidden,
> so they are indexed but don't show up in search results by default. You need
> to go to Folder Options in Windows Explorer, and then select "Show Hidden
> Files and Folders" to see these items in searches.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Dave
>

> "GRE" <GRE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I did the option you outline below in outlook 2007 already; no luck. It
> > didn't change a thing. I deleted and reindexed after to no avail.
> >
> > The MSN Search / Windows Live search in Windows XP will find deleted
> > items.
> > It's odd that Vista Search will not. Also, Google would as well, I used
> > earlier versions before I found MSN Search better.
> >
> > So thanks for the reply; just doesn't work.
> >
> > "DevilsPGD" wrote:

> >> Try this...
> >>
> >> Outlook --> Tools menu --> Options --> [Preferences] tab --> "Search
> >> Options" button --> Try the "Include messages from the Deleted Items
> >> folder"
> >> --
> >> Insert something clever here.

Dave Wood [MS]

Re: Search not looking in Outlook 2007 Deleted Items
Yes, it's probably not ideal. In part it's because of the pluggable nature
of the search system - individual protocol handlers control the items
indexed {in this case the MAPI protocol handler for Outlook items}, but each
protocol handler doesn't have its own UI to control settings. And even if
they did people would get overwhelmed by the number of different config
options and still complain ... :-)

Dave

"GRE" <GRE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news7211771-7FFD-4029-8C0B-73B62E05A08A@microsoft.com...
> WORKS PERFECT>>>> Thanks!
>
> Ya' know, I saw that, and almost chose that option, but then said,
> "Microsoft wouldn't bury such an important feature in such an obscure way,
> would they?" They would, and they did! Pox on my house for doubting
> MSFT's
> ability to bury key features ...
>
> "Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:
>
>> We mark the contents of the Deleted Items {and Junk Mail} folders as
>> hidden,
>> so they are indexed but don't show up in search results by default. You
>> need
>> to go to Folder Options in Windows Explorer, and then select "Show Hidden
>> Files and Folders" to see these items in searches.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Dave
>>

>> "GRE" <GRE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I did the option you outline below in outlook 2007 already; no luck. It
>> > didn't change a thing. I deleted and reindexed after to no avail.
>> >
>> > The MSN Search / Windows Live search in Windows XP will find deleted
>> > items.
>> > It's odd that Vista Search will not. Also, Google would as well, I used
>> > earlier versions before I found MSN Search better.
>> >
>> > So thanks for the reply; just doesn't work.

=?Utf-8?B?R1JF?=

Re: Search not looking in Outlook 2007 Deleted Items
Please pass this to the dev team ... to make this fearture more visible. I
can't be the only one that will be highly annoyed by this, though I'm just a
lowly sales rep. I've asked around to my customers (my company did over 4% of
all the beta deployments in the USA for Microsoft) who delployed Vista, and
they agreed this was major oversight.

Hope you get this fixed ... we all want the msft stock price to rise!