Windows Explorer doesn't refresh on folder shares

Bob

Windows Explorer doesn't refresh on folder shares
Hi,

I notice that if I add or delete files to a folder shared on a server,
Vista's Windows Explorer will refresh this information immediately (as it
should). But if another workstation should add or delete something from
this shared server folder, Vista 's Windows Explorer will not automatically
refresh the change. Rather, a manual refresh is necessary.

Also, the same thing happens if the file is edited, and therefore the
timestamp changes. Vista's Windows Explorer will not show the updated
timestamp.

In fact, even if the Vista user should edit this file and save it away, the
timestamp still will not update! (All the XP machines will see the update
however). Note this DFS folder is not cached on Vista, so CSC is not
involved.

This sounds familiar to a DFS refresh problem with XP, but that was a bit
more pronounced. I resolved that problem a few years ago with a custom GPO
that added the following key:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\Explorer\NoSimpleNetIDList
(set to "1").

Note that this key is also applied to the Vista users too.

Any idea why Vista's Windows Explorer requires a manual reset to see
updates?

--
Thanks,
Bob

George Yin

RE: Windows Explorer doesn't refresh on folder shares
Hello Bob,

Thank you for your post. This is George and I will be assisting you in this
post.

From your description, I understand that:

You have some shared folders on the server. When you change these shared
files from one workstation, you cannot see the changes refreshed
automatically from the Windows Vista computer.

If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Sorry, I am not quite sure about this issue. Will you please help
collecting some more information?

Information Needed:
=================

1. Does this symptom occur on any other Windows Vista computer (if other
Windows Vista computers exist)?

2. Please check the Operating System version of the Windows Vista computer.
Is it beta version or released version?

If you cannot make sure of it, you can do this by entering systeminfo in a
command prompt. Please let me know the OS version number.

3. Disable firewall on both the server and Windows Vista computer and see
if this issue remains.

4. Disable the offline file.

Right click the shared folder from Windows Explorer on the Windows Vista
computer, unselect the "Always Available Offline". See if the symptom
remains this time.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

We look forward to your reply. Thanks!

Sincerely,
George Yin
Microsoft Online Support

George Yin

RE: Windows Explorer doesn't refresh on folder shares
Hello Bob,

I'm just writing to see if you have had an opportunity to gather the
requested information.

If anything is unclear or you encountered any difficulties, please don't
hesitate to let me know and I will be happy to help.

Sincerely,
George Yin
Microsoft Online Support

rmailman@earthlink.net

Re: Windows Explorer doesn't refresh on folder shares
I have the same problem with Vista Home Premium and it applies to
local folders and the Desktop (mostly but not always). It is very
irritating, although the F5 key has become my friend. There should be
some patch for this. Help Microsoft!!

(BTW, I have an OEM copy of Vista on my new Gateway Computer, and
Gateway claims they cannot relay this problem to MS). Last Gateway I
buy.

On Jan 23, 6:29*am, v-chan...@online.microsoft.com (George Yin(MSFT))
wrote:
> Hello Bob,
>
> I'm just writing to see if you have had an opportunity to gather the
> requested information.
>
> If anything is unclear or you encountered any difficulties, please don't
> hesitate to let me know and I will be happy to help.
>
> Sincerely,
> George Yin
> Microsoft Online Support
> Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
>
> Get Secure! -www.microsoft.com/security
> ================================================== ===
> ================================================== ===
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights..

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Re: Windows Explorer doesn't refresh on folder shares
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your time and research.

Morgan is out of office currently, I will continue to work with you on this
issue.

As you mentioned, this registry key disables the using of simple IDLists
and creates full-IDLists instead.

This exactly relates to Shell's(Explorer) basic function.

More information about shell please refer to:

RESTRICTIONS Enumerated Type
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...34(VS.85).aspx

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

George Yin

RE: Windows Explorer doesn't refresh on folder shares
Hello,

I am writing in to see if you have gotten a chance to try the suggestion.
If there are any updates on your side, please let me know so that we can
work together to resolve the issue.

Sincerely,
George Yin
Microsoft Online Support

vankampenp is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
reproduced!
Hello, I have just moved from Windows XP to Windows Vista 64 on a new PC.
I experienced this problem on Windows XP on a shared drive, and now on Windows Vista on one of the hard disks. In fact it only appears from a certain point in the folder tree:

I:\media\eva\music\cds\...

The problem appears in this example on all folders below "music".

The problem is that any change to the file system (new folder, delete folder, change name) does not appear until I press F5 to refresh.

I have strong indications this problem is related to the use of "Easy Audio Copy". This program rips CDs, and you need to browse to indicate where you want the result placed. After this, the problem appeared.

vankampenp is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Adding the string "Max Cached Icons" with value "12000" to the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer]

solved it for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to vankampenp For This Useful Post:
juliouk's Avatar

juliouk is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows Explorer doesn't refresh on folder shares
Quote:
Originally Posted by vankampenp View Post
Adding the string "Max Cached Icons" with value "12000" to the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer]

solved it for me.
That was realy helpful, works fine.

We had this problem here, so many people were saving files whit same number, now not anymore!

Thanks a lot!

Julio