Show folder sizes in My Computer

Peter_au

Show folder sizes in My Computer
Is there a way of doing this in My Computer &/or Windows Explorer?

Windows has always shown file sizes, but NOT FOLDER SIZES unles you right
click for the pop out menu, then click Properties.
This is too time consuming for me.

All I want to do is find which folders are using up so much HDD space so I
can then go in & delete the culprit files.

If Windows won't allow this simple request, is there some 3rd Party Utility
available?

Thanks for any help
Peter
Donald Lessau

Re: Show folder sizes in My Computer
"Peter_au" <Peterau@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Is there a way of doing this in My Computer &/or Windows Explorer?
>
> Windows has always shown file sizes, but NOT FOLDER SIZES unles you right
> click for the pop out menu, then click Properties.
> This is too time consuming for me.
>
> All I want to do is find which folders are using up so much HDD space so I
> can then go in & delete the culprit files.
>
> If Windows won't allow this simple request, is there some 3rd Party
> Utility
> available?

XYplorer file manager can do it (even the FREE version can). Since
calculating folder sizes can be time consuming in large deeply nested
folders, XYplorer offers an on-demand command (Shift+F5) as an alternative
to the show-folder-sizes-always setting.

http://www.xyplorer.com/

Don

Peter_au

Re: Show folder sizes in My Computer
Many thanks, that did the trick - perfect!
Now able to very quickly add up all folders.

Still can't find approx 60GB data though.
All folders add up to about 110GB, yet Windows reports 170GB used.
I have Show all hidden folders & OS files selected so shouldn't be anything
hidden?

Very strange

Thanks for your help

> Many thanks, that did the trick - perfect!
> Now able to very quickly add up all folders.
>
> Still can't find approx 60GB data though.
> All folders add up to about 110GB, yet Windows reports 170GB used.
> I have Show all hidden folders & OS files selected so shouldn't be
> anything
> hidden?

Also got "Show System Files and Folders" checked? The 60GB might be hiding
in your Recycle Bin...

Don

Wandering

Re: Show folder sizes in My Computer
It is likely that the space is being used by shadow copies and restore
points. Vista will use up to 12% for restore points alone before starting to
replace oldest ones with newer ones. You can use the advanced properties in
Disk Cleanup to clear these if you are CERTAIN you don't need them.

"Peter_au" <Peterau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way of doing this in My Computer &/or Windows Explorer?
>
> Windows has always shown file sizes, but NOT FOLDER SIZES unles you right
> click for the pop out menu, then click Properties.
> This is too time consuming for me.
>
> All I want to do is find which folders are using up so much HDD space so I
> can then go in & delete the culprit files.
>
> If Windows won't allow this simple request, is there some 3rd Party
> Utility
> available?
>
> Thanks for any help
> Peter

Peter_au

Re: Show folder sizes in My Computer
Donald - yeah, have those checked thanks. Nothing in the Recycle Bin
Wandering - Could well be the culprits. 12% of 500GB HDD...that's the
missing 60GB.
Any idea as to why they're not shown anywhere?
No big deal, just me being predantic & a bit of a control freak. Don't like
not being able to see used HDD space.

Thanks

"Wandering" wrote:

> It is likely that the space is being used by shadow copies and restore
> points. Vista will use up to 12% for restore points alone before starting to
> replace oldest ones with newer ones. You can use the advanced properties in
> Disk Cleanup to clear these if you are CERTAIN you don't need them.
>

> "Peter_au" <Peterau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way of doing this in My Computer &/or Windows Explorer?
> >
> > Windows has always shown file sizes, but NOT FOLDER SIZES unles you right
> > click for the pop out menu, then click Properties.
> > This is too time consuming for me.
> >
> > All I want to do is find which folders are using up so much HDD space so I
> > can then go in & delete the culprit files.
> >
> > If Windows won't allow this simple request, is there some 3rd Party
> > Utility
> > available?
> >
> > Thanks for any help
> > Peter

Wandering

Re: Show folder sizes in My Computer
I don't know how you can get their size individually, but you can see how
many you have by starting a restore operation, when it will give you a list
of how many you have, and their dates.

If you have an oem system that came without disks, there is likely about 10
GB in an inaccessible partition for purpose of restoring the system to
original state. The software on the system will let you make a recovery CD
that accesses this partition. You can see your partitions in Disk Manager,
available by right clicking "Computer" and selecting "Manage"

It takes some getting used to, but a good bit of Vista is designed to
protect us from ourselves. It's not like Win98SE days when you could mess up
anything you liked. Some just can't make the transition, but I have come to
like Vista a great deal.

Good luck...

> Donald - yeah, have those checked thanks. Nothing in the Recycle Bin
> Wandering - Could well be the culprits. 12% of 500GB HDD...that's the
> missing 60GB.
> Any idea as to why they're not shown anywhere?
> No big deal, just me being predantic & a bit of a control freak. Don't
> like
> not being able to see used HDD space.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Wandering" wrote:
>
>> It is likely that the space is being used by shadow copies and restore
>> points. Vista will use up to 12% for restore points alone before starting
>> replace oldest ones with newer ones. You can use the advanced properties
>> in
>> Disk Cleanup to clear these if you are CERTAIN you don't need them.
>>

>> "Peter_au" <Peterau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there a way of doing this in My Computer &/or Windows Explorer?
>> >
>> > Windows has always shown file sizes, but NOT FOLDER SIZES unles you
>> > right
>> > click for the pop out menu, then click Properties.
>> > This is too time consuming for me.
>> >
>> > All I want to do is find which folders are using up so much HDD space
>> > so I
>> > can then go in & delete the culprit files.
>> >
>> > If Windows won't allow this simple request, is there some 3rd Party
>> > Utility
>> > available?
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help
>> > Peter

Peter_au

Re: Show folder sizes in My Computer
>Vista is designed to protect us from ourselves. It's not like Win98SE days
when you could mess up anything you liked.

LOL!!
Yep, that's me!
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!!
I'll just leave things as is & let Vista get on with it's job.
Thanks heaps for your help

Cheers
Peter