OUTLOOK 2007 LOST FILES AFTER EASY TRANSFER

CharlesO

OUTLOOK 2007 LOST FILES AFTER EASY TRANSFER
Hi There,
Can anyone assist me? I have just completed the easy transfer of the default
files from my old PC to my new PC and I seem to have lost all the new folders
and emails in my outlook. These were on the new PC prior to the transfer.

Thanks

Charles
nobscot6

Re: OUTLOOK 2007 LOST FILES AFTER EASY TRANSFER

on the new pc or the old one? I'm confused......

--
nobscot6
CharlesO

Re: OUTLOOK 2007 LOST FILES AFTER EASY TRANSFER
Sorry, let me clarify.

I bought a new computer and set it up with MS offcie 2007, and had this
operating for a couple of weeks, using Outlook for my emails.

I used easy transfer to transfer the files from my old PC to the new one via
an external HD and after the file transfer I cannot find the emails I had
sent & recieved or the folders I had set up on the new PC.

"nobscot6" wrote:

> on the new pc or the old one? I'm confused......
>

> --
> nobscot6

Location: the Netherlands
erico is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Outlook files
Now that is interesting. I will be using the wizard tomorrow for a client computer. I must add a caveat. With Outlook in whatever version...always export a .pst backup to an external drive or cd/dvd. If you haven't been keeping a backup of your emails...Whoops! Backups prevent the loss of data.

Do a search on your new and old system for *.pst files. Hopefully you will find the most recent backup of your emails and folders in that fashion. If you find the folder on the old system put it on a USB memory stick. then do an import from within Outlook(on the new system) of the .pst file (hopefully one that is pretty recent) and you should be happy again.
DL

Re: OUTLOOK 2007 LOST FILES AFTER EASY TRANSFER
Niether Export or Import is the best way to deal with native OL data

"erico" <erico.3au3gc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Now that is interesting. I will be using the wizard tomorrow for a
> client computer. I must add a caveat. With Outlook in whatever
> version...*always export a .pst backup to an external drive or cd/dvd.*
> If you haven't been keeping a backup of your emails...Whoops! Backups
> prevent the loss of data.
>
> Do a search on your new and old system for *.pst files. Hopefully you
> will find the most recent backup of your emails and folders in that
> fashion. If you find the folder on the old system put it on a USB memory
> stick. then do an import from within Outlook(on the new system) of the
> pst file (hopefully one that is pretty recent) and you should be happy
> again.
>

> --
> erico

Location: the Netherlands
erico is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL View Post
Niether Export or Import is the best way to deal with native OL data

That sounds like a statement without anything to back it up as you have not given any "best way to deal with native OL data" and only derided another person's opinion. In other words...speak up if you have something to contribute or remain a lurker if you are unable to do so.

Last edited by erico : 06-11-2008 at 21:46.
DL

Re: OUTLOOK 2007 LOST FILES AFTER EASY TRANSFER
Export / Import loses data, settings, rules etc.
With OL closed you simply copy the data file(s)
Then in OL, File>Open>Data File........browse to the location, preferably on
the hd.
You cannot open OL data from a cd/dvd, you can open from a usb stick, but
when you close & reopen OL that can cause probs.
If transfering from cd/dvd to hd, in explorer it is neccessary to turn the
'read only' attribute off.
Overwriting an existing OL data file, can corrupt both data & Profile.
There is no 'proper' location for the OL data File, there is a default
location.

"erico" <erico.3auzcc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> DL;866439 Wrote:
>> Niether Export or Import is the best way to deal with native OL data
>>

> That sounds like a statement without anything to back it up as you
> have not given any "best way to deal with native OL data" and only
> derided another person's opinion. In other words...speak up if you have
> something to contribute or remain a lurker if you are unable to do so.
>

> --
> erico

gordon

Re: OUTLOOK 2007 LOST FILES AFTER EASY TRANSFER
"erico" <erico.3auzcc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> DL;866439 Wrote:
>> Niether Export or Import is the best way to deal with native OL data
>>

> That sounds like a statement without anything to back it up as you
> have not given any "best way to deal with native OL data" and only
> derided another person's opinion. In other words...speak up if you have
> something to contribute or remain a lurker if you are unable to do so.

(Courtesy of Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook])

Importing an entire PST may well corrupt your profile and may create a ghost
PST that you can't close. Importing PST's will lose:
1. Custom Forms
2. Custom Views
3. Connections between contacts and activities
4. Received dates on mail
5. Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar
6. Journal connections
7. Distribution Lists

Opening a PST file will preserve all of these. That is why we do not advise
people to import a native file into Outlook.

Location: the Netherlands
erico is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon View Post
"erico" <erico.3auzcc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> DL;866439 Wrote:
>> Niether Export or Import is the best way to deal with native OL data
>>

> That sounds like a statement without anything to back it up as you
> have not given any "best way to deal with native OL data" and only
> derided another person's opinion. In other words...speak up if you have
> something to contribute or remain a lurker if you are unable to do so.

(Courtesy of Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook])

Importing an entire PST may well corrupt your profile and may create a ghost
PST that you can't close. Importing PST's will lose:
1. Custom Forms
2. Custom Views
3. Connections between contacts and activities
4. Received dates on mail
5. Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar
6. Journal connections
7. Distribution Lists

Opening a PST file will preserve all of these. That is why we do not advise
people to import a native file into Outlook.
That is a thorough explanation. I believe the operative word you used was "may". I have been fortunate enough to have the described misfortune happen to me, at least not yet. Your valuable input is appreciated. I will always be open to learning better ways to accomplish a desired objective. So...what is your take on what happened to the thread starters data?
regards,
Eric

Last edited by erico : 06-12-2008 at 13:17. Reason: format correction
DL

Re: OUTLOOK 2007 LOST FILES AFTER EASY TRANSFER
I see no OP, only your posts, this may be because you appear to have been
posting via a third party forum and not direct to the ms groups.