deleted Word file

dendinsd

deleted Word file
I cut a word document and a powerpoint document and pasted it to my external
harddrive. It shows as empty shortcuts on my computer and it originally
showed on my external harddrive but when I went to print the document from
the harddrive it was not there. My other powerpoint is ther fine. I spend
a week on this project so any advice to locating it would help. I have tried
searching, word backup, etc. and it just says the path is invalid - moved or
deleted. Isn't there a backup somewhere on the compuer?
--
SD
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: deleted Word file
Dendinsd

Which version of Vista are you running?
What is the path to the folder where the original documents were located?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"dendinsd" <dendinsd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I cut a word document and a powerpoint document and pasted it to my
>external
> harddrive. It shows as empty shortcuts on my computer and it originally
> showed on my external harddrive but when I went to print the document from
> the harddrive it was not there. My other powerpoint is ther fine. I
> spend
> a week on this project so any advice to locating it would help. I have
> tried
> searching, word backup, etc. and it just says the path is invalid - moved
> or
> deleted. Isn't there a backup somewhere on the compuer?
> --
> SD

dendinsd

Re: deleted Word file
Vista Business and the one shortcut found shows
c:\users\uersname\AppData\roaming\microsoft\window s. When opening from Start
and documents, the file has been moved or deleted and cannot be found. I
used uneraser and it looked like it found the file; however, the free trial
was not really free so I could not see if the doc was there or not.
--
SD

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Dendinsd
>
> Which version of Vista are you running?
> What is the path to the folder where the original documents were located?
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "dendinsd" <dendinsd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I cut a word document and a powerpoint document and pasted it to my
> >external
> > harddrive. It shows as empty shortcuts on my computer and it originally
> > showed on my external harddrive but when I went to print the document from
> > the harddrive it was not there. My other powerpoint is ther fine. I
> > spend
> > a week on this project so any advice to locating it would help. I have
> > tried
> > searching, word backup, etc. and it just says the path is invalid - moved
> > or
> > deleted. Isn't there a backup somewhere on the compuer?
> > --
> > SD

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: deleted Word file
SD

OK, with Vista Business you have the Previous Versions shadow copy component
that you can use to retrieve some files.

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder where that document was
located.
Right click the folder and select Properties / Previous Versions Tab.
You should see a list of backed up copies of that folder, listed by Date.
Select a copy that was from a date prior to when the file was lost.
Click the Copy Button.
In the Copy Items window, select the Desktop.
Click the Copy Button.

This should place a backed up copy of that folder on your Desktop. Go to the
Desktop, open the folder and see if you can locate the missing file.