Can't copy "large" file in Vista!

Ptero

Can't copy "large" file in Vista!
When I was trying to copy a file of 20MB to D:\ from E:\, Vista poped out a
dialog saying that there is not enough disk space. However, I have about 30GB
free on my disk! I can't copy any file larger than 20MB. How to solve this?
Michael Palumbo

Re: Can't copy "large" file in Vista!

"Ptero" <Ptero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I was trying to copy a file of 20MB to D:\ from E:\, Vista poped out
> dialog saying that there is not enough disk space. However, I have about
> 30GB
> free on my disk! I can't copy any file larger than 20MB. How to solve
> this?

Is the destination drive formatted FAT32?

If it is, there's your answer, FAT32 can't have files on it that are larger
than 4 gigabytes, that's the ceiling.

Unfortunately Windows won't tell you this in the error message, it will give
the error you're seeing, "not enough space to . . ."

You can convert the drive to NTFS, this will allow the large files to be
saved to the drive, but if it's a removable drive, or if it's shared with
any OS(s) that can't read NTFS you will lose access to the drive from those
operating systems.

Mic

Ptero

Re: Can't copy "large" file in Vista!
Thanks for replying.
My disk is in NTFS format. And my file is less than 4GB.
I restarted my compter, but it didn't work.
Then I restarted it again, it worked normally. That's weird.

> Thanks for replying.
> My disk is in NTFS format. And my file is less than 4GB.
> I restarted my compter, but it didn't work.
> Then I restarted it again, it worked normally. That's weird.
>
> "Michael Palumbo" wrote:
>

>> "Ptero" <Ptero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I was trying to copy a file of 20MB to D:\ from E:\, Vista poped
>> > out
>> > dialog saying that there is not enough disk space. However, I have
>> > about
>> > 30GB
>> > free on my disk! I can't copy any file larger than 20MB. How to solve
>> > this?

>> Is the destination drive formatted FAT32?
>>
>> If it is, there's your answer, FAT32 can't have files on it that are
>> larger
>> than 4 gigabytes, that's the ceiling.
>>
>> Unfortunately Windows won't tell you this in the error message, it will
>> give
>> the error you're seeing, "not enough space to . . ."
>>
>> You can convert the drive to NTFS, this will allow the large files to be
>> saved to the drive, but if it's a removable drive, or if it's shared with
>> any OS(s) that can't read NTFS you will lose access to the drive from
>> those
>> operating systems.
>>
>> Mic

Oops, sorry.

I did state in another post that I'm partially blind, so I'm going to use
that as an excuse . . . <wink>

I read the 20MB as 20GB like a dope . . .

Run chkdsk on the drive and see if any errors are reported, this can cause
out of space errors to pop up sometimes.

Mic