navigating in windows explorer

Nita Klew

Re: navigating in windows explorer
I don't see any URLs in Windows Explorer. A URL looks like this:

http://www.someplace.com

Are you sure you mean URLs? When you open the Navigation Pane you should see
links to commonly-use folders like Documents, Pictures, Public and so forth
under the Favorite Links heading. You can make that page taller or shorter
by dragging the top bar on the Folder pane just below it.

To remove a shortcut that's in Favorite Links, right-click it and choose
Remove Link. To add a link, drag an icon from the main pane to the right
into Favorite Links.

Once you get the hang of using the Search Box on the Start menu, you won't
have to spend so much time navigating around through folders. Just tap the
Windows key, type a few characters until you see the item you want, then
click it on the Start menu. It's not limited to programs. It includes
folders, files, and file metadata properties (tags).

--

"newsgroupposter" <post@posttsop.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In windows explorer,there is a list of urls and only links to drive C and
> D.How are those urls removed? And some short cuts somewhere for particular
> folders to navigate to,as all i see on the left is the "favourite Links",
> and the "up 1 level" button is gone (was in XP). Its actually much harder
> to navigate in vista or is it not set up properly??
>
> e.g. if i go to a folder several levels down in drive D,i have to go back
> to drive D to go to a level just above the folder i was previously in.
>
> thanks

Nita Klew

Re: navigating in windows explorer
Oh, URLs in the Address Bar. I thought you had URLs in Favorite Links. I
guess IE and Windows Explorer share the same History list. If you clear out
your IE history list, they'll go away. Open Internet Explorer, click Tools
and choose Delete Browsing History. Click Delete History.

I suppose if you wanted them never to show up you'd have to set your
browsing history limit to zero days. I don't know, haven't tried it. But if
you click the Settings button next to Delete History, you can change the
number of days at the bottom of the dialog box.

--
"newsgroupposter" <post@posttsop.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In windows explorer,there is a list of urls and only links to drive C and
> D.How are those urls removed? And some short cuts somewhere for particular
> folders to navigate to,as all i see on the left is the "favourite Links",
> and the "up 1 level" button is gone (was in XP). Its actually much harder
> to navigate in vista or is it not set up properly??
>
> e.g. if i go to a folder several levels down in drive D,i have to go back
> to drive D to go to a level just above the folder i was previously in.
>
> thanks

Donald Lessau

"newsgroupposter" <post@posttsop.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
>
> In windows explorer,there is a list of urls and only links to drive C and
> D.How are those urls removed? And some short cuts somewhere for particular
> folders to navigate to,as all i see on the left is the "favourite Links",
> and the "up 1 level" button is gone (was in XP). Its actually much harder
> to navigate in vista or is it not set up properly??

May I humbly recommend you check out the alternative file manager XYplorer.
It has all the features and look and feel of XP's Explorer, plus lots of
usability enhancements like tabbed browsing, instant file preview, and a
really great file search.

http://www.xyplorer.com/ (30-day free trial of full version)

Don

Puppy Breath

Re: navigating in windows explorer
Navigation in Vista is vastly improved. You don't need an Up button because
the parent folder's name is to the left of the current folder's name in the
Address bar. So just click the parent folder's name in the Address bar.

You can also click any << symbol or triangle in the Address bar to see
folders at that level to go to.

The Favorite Links list is completely customizable and can contain links to
any drive or location you wish. The ones that show up by default are just
examples. You can drag shortcuts in, delete items that are in there using
all the usual methods.

The Folder List is below Favorite Links. Just click its header to slide it
up into view.

Don't bother with any third-party file navigation systems. Once you've
mastered Vista's methods and created shortcuts to your most
frequently-accessed resources you'll be able to get from anywhere to
anywhere with a mouse click or two.

"newsgroupposter" <post@posttsop.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In windows explorer,there is a list of urls and only links to drive C and
> D.How are those urls removed? And some short cuts somewhere for particular
> folders to navigate to,as all i see on the left is the "favourite Links",
> and the "up 1 level" button is gone (was in XP). Its actually much harder
> to navigate in vista or is it not set up properly??
>
> e.g. if i go to a folder several levels down in drive D,i have to go back
> to drive D to go to a level just above the folder i was previously in.
>
> thanks

Mike Benton

Re: navigating in windows explorer
I have noticed that both URL and local paths show up in the history while
using the Internet Explorer and File Explorer. I'm not sure how to filter
this. I don't really care to see the local paths I have explored while in
the Internet Explorer. Likewise, I don't really care to see Internet sites I
have explored while browsing through my drives in the File Explorer. If
there is a way to keep the browsing history separate, please let me know....

Mike

"newsgroupposter" <post@posttsop.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In windows explorer,there is a list of urls and only links to drive C and
> D.How are those urls removed? And some short cuts somewhere for particular
> folders to navigate to,as all i see on the left is the "favourite Links",
> and the "up 1 level" button is gone (was in XP). Its actually much harder
> to navigate in vista or is it not set up properly??
>
> e.g. if i go to a folder several levels down in drive D,i have to go back
> to drive D to go to a level just above the folder i was previously in.
>
> thanks

Mike Benton

Re: navigating in windows explorer
One of the things I feel is silly about this feature is that if you're in
Internet Explorer and you put a path on your local machine, your brower
won't even open this path for security reasons. It wants to open a new
window. So why display these paths in history? The same is true for the File
Explorer. When you type a URL in the File Explorer, a new Internet Explorer
window opens. ?????

"newsgroupposter" <post@posttsop.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In windows explorer,there is a list of urls and only links to drive C and
> D.How are those urls removed? And some short cuts somewhere for particular
> folders to navigate to,as all i see on the left is the "favourite Links",
> and the "up 1 level" button is gone (was in XP). Its actually much harder
> to navigate in vista or is it not set up properly??
>
> e.g. if i go to a folder several levels down in drive D,i have to go back
> to drive D to go to a level just above the folder i was previously in.
>
> thanks

newsgroupposter

Re: navigating in windows explorer
Hi,

Yes I am 100% positve i have url's in the address bar.What i see is firstly
"Computer",in that drop downlist is a list of url's such as
http://www.java.com as well as D:\ and C:\

thanks

"Nita Klew" <NoSpam@NoThanks.com> wrote in message
>I don't see any URLs in Windows Explorer. A URL looks like this:
>
> http://www.someplace.com
>
> Are you sure you mean URLs? When you open the Navigation Pane you should
> see links to commonly-use folders like Documents, Pictures, Public and so
> forth under the Favorite Links heading. You can make that page taller or
> shorter by dragging the top bar on the Folder pane just below it.
>
> To remove a shortcut that's in Favorite Links, right-click it and choose
> Remove Link. To add a link, drag an icon from the main pane to the right
> into Favorite Links.
>
> Once you get the hang of using the Search Box on the Start menu, you won't
> have to spend so much time navigating around through folders. Just tap the
> Windows key, type a few characters until you see the item you want, then
> click it on the Start menu. It's not limited to programs. It includes
> folders, files, and file metadata properties (tags).
>

> --
>
> "newsgroupposter" <post@posttsop.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> In windows explorer,there is a list of urls and only links to drive C and
>> D.How are those urls removed? And some short cuts somewhere for
>> particular folders to navigate to,as all i see on the left is the
>> "favourite Links", and the "up 1 level" button is gone (was in XP). Its
>> actually much harder to navigate in vista or is it not set up properly??
>>
>> e.g. if i go to a folder several levels down in drive D,i have to go back
>> to drive D to go to a level just above the folder i was previously in.
>>
>> thanks

newsgroupposter

Re: navigating in windows explorer
I think that was a security issue,i may be wrong,in XP,as IE could access
your pc files ...

"Mike Benton" <msnewsgroups@michaelbenton.com> wrote in message
> One of the things I feel is silly about this feature is that if you're in
> Internet Explorer and you put a path on your local machine, your brower
> won't even open this path for security reasons. It wants to open a new
> window. So why display these paths in history? The same is true for the
> File Explorer. When you type a URL in the File Explorer, a new Internet
> Explorer window opens. ?????
>

> "newsgroupposter" <post@posttsop.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> In windows explorer,there is a list of urls and only links to drive C and
>> D.How are those urls removed? And some short cuts somewhere for
>> particular folders to navigate to,as all i see on the left is the
>> "favourite Links", and the "up 1 level" button is gone (was in XP). Its
>> actually much harder to navigate in vista or is it not set up properly??
>>
>> e.g. if i go to a folder several levels down in drive D,i have to go back
>> to drive D to go to a level just above the folder i was previously in.
>>
>> thanks

Geta Klew

Re: navigating in windows explorer
You wouldn't have to think so hard if you put a post-it not on your monitor
that said:

To go to the folder above this one, click its name or press Backspace.

After you've read it a few thousand times, it'd probably become
second-nature to you. And you probably wouldn't be too terribly emaciated
from all the intellectual effort.