Removing previous versions of files

rwebcon

Removing previous versions of files

::I have a question on previous versions of files in Vista. As you know
Vista creates previous versions of files as part of restore points. My
question is on deleted files and previous versions. Lets say you have a
file which has previous version and you want to delete it from the
system and you empty the recycle bin. You never want to restore it.
How are files like this removed so they do not have previous versions
available? I do not want files I have deleted and have no intentions of
restoring with previous version available forever in Vista and taking up
disk space.::

--
rwebcon
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Removing previous versions of files
Rwebcon

You cannot selectively remove previous version files.

The only way to permanently remove these would be to turn System Restore
off, which will remove all restore points and all previous versions of
monitored files.

For more information on System Restore, see the following website.

How to Use System Restore
http://bertk.mvps.org/

How to adjust disk space in Windows Vista
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskspacev.html

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"rwebcon" <rwebcon.2ykgu1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> ::I have a question on previous versions of files in Vista. As you know
> Vista creates previous versions of files as part of restore points. My
> question is on deleted files and previous versions. Lets say you have a
> file which has previous version and you want to delete it from the
> system and you empty the recycle bin. You never want to restore it.
> How are files like this removed so they do not have previous versions
> available? I do not want files I have deleted and have no intentions of
> restoring with previous version available forever in Vista and taking up
> disk space.::
>

> --
> rwebcon

rwebcon

Re: Removing previous versions of files

Thanks for the info. So its all or nothing on this one! It would be
nice if this were documented better. After some time you could have
your shadow storage area filled with old files you will never want to
restore. This should be fixed so you could remove shadow copies of
files you no longer want.

Question - once your shadow area is full what happens?

--
rwebcon
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Removing previous versions of files
Rwebcon

When System Restore approaches the set limit for Shadow Copy, it will delete
the oldest restore point to make room.

If you want to keep control of the older versions of files, you can use the
Disk Cleanup Wizard to delete all but the latest restore point.

If you go to the website I cited in my first post, Bert has instructions
there for adjusting the space used by System Restore to whatever you wish.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"rwebcon" <rwebcon.2ymcw3@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Thanks for the info. So its all or nothing on this one! It would be
> nice if this were documented better. After some time you could have
> your shadow storage area filled with old files you will never want to
> restore. This should be fixed so you could remove shadow copies of
> files you no longer want.
>
> Question - once your shadow area is full what happens?
>

> --
> rwebcon

rwebcon

Re: Removing previous versions of files

I just read info on cleanmgr and there is no mention of removing
previous versions of files no longer on a hard drive.

--
rwebcon
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Removing previous versions of files
Rwebcon

Open Help and Support and type cleanmgr in the search box. In the
results, click on the "Delete a restore point" link. This discusses deleting
restore points and the effect on previous versions.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"rwebcon" <rwebcon.2ynq75@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I just read info on cleanmgr and there is no mention of removing
> previous versions of files no longer on a hard drive.
>

> --
> rwebcon

rwebcon

Re: Removing previous versions of files

Thanks. I was looking a a book on vista and this was no included in the
descussion. Here is a good video from MS developers on the subject.
'Windows Vista \"Time Warp\": Understanding Vista's Backup and Restore
Technologies' (http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=286303)

--
rwebcon