Easy Transfer & Outlook

RJF

Easy Transfer & Outlook
Tried using Easy Transfer to move my stuff from a laptop running XP Pro to a
new Desktop running Vista Home Prem.

After loading software and moving data to new system, when I start Outlook I
see 2 Personal Folders - Both with the same sub folders and the same
messages. As email comes in, I see the messages in both Personal Folders
inbox.

Outlook won't let me close either of the Personal Folders.

Searched for *.pst files and found 1 Outlook.pst and 1 archive.pst file on
the system.

Any ideas where the 2nd personal folder is coming from (or more importantly
how to remove it when Outlook starts)?

Not sure if this is the right group - if not - some direction?

TIA -
RJF

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Easy Transfer & Outlook
RJF

You need to post this message in one of the Outlook groups. They will be
aware of any problem using that software. Here are a couple of lnks.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"RJF" <rjf3123@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Tried using Easy Transfer to move my stuff from a laptop running XP Pro to
> a new Desktop running Vista Home Prem.
>
> After loading software and moving data to new system, when I start Outlook
> I see 2 Personal Folders - Both with the same sub folders and the same
> messages. As email comes in, I see the messages in both Personal Folders
> inbox.
>
> Outlook won't let me close either of the Personal Folders.
>
> Searched for *.pst files and found 1 Outlook.pst and 1 archive.pst file on
> the system.
>
> Any ideas where the 2nd personal folder is coming from (or more
> importantly how to remove it when Outlook starts)?
>
> Not sure if this is the right group - if not - some direction?
>
> TIA -
> RJF

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Easy Transfer & Outlook
Never use WET for Outlook. It invariably corrupts the Outlook profile by
creating a ghost PST file. It also disables the address book service.
You must create a new Outlook profile from scratch and use a supported
method for data transfer. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook
data backup or transfer:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"RJF" <rjf3123@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Tried using Easy Transfer to move my stuff from a laptop running XP Pro to
> a new Desktop running Vista Home Prem.
>
> After loading software and moving data to new system, when I start Outlook
> I see 2 Personal Folders - Both with the same sub folders and the same
> messages. As email comes in, I see the messages in both Personal Folders
> inbox.
>
> Outlook won't let me close either of the Personal Folders.
>
> Searched for *.pst files and found 1 Outlook.pst and 1 archive.pst file on
> the system.
>
> Any ideas where the 2nd personal folder is coming from (or more
> importantly how to remove it when Outlook starts)?
>
> Not sure if this is the right group - if not - some direction?
>
> TIA -
> RJF

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Easy Transfer & Outlook
Russ

Thanks for replying here. I hope I didn't run the OP off before he saw your
message.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

> Never use WET for Outlook. It invariably corrupts the Outlook profile by
> creating a ghost PST file. It also disables the address book service.
> You must create a new Outlook profile from scratch and use a supported
> method for data transfer. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook
> data backup or transfer:
> http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...771141033.aspx
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "RJF" <rjf3123@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Tried using Easy Transfer to move my stuff from a laptop running XP Pro
>> to a new Desktop running Vista Home Prem.
>>
>> After loading software and moving data to new system, when I start
>> Outlook I see 2 Personal Folders - Both with the same sub folders and the
>> same messages. As email comes in, I see the messages in both Personal
>> Folders inbox.
>>
>> Outlook won't let me close either of the Personal Folders.
>>
>> Searched for *.pst files and found 1 Outlook.pst and 1 archive.pst file
>> on the system.
>>
>> Any ideas where the 2nd personal folder is coming from (or more
>> importantly how to remove it when Outlook starts)?
>>
>> Not sure if this is the right group - if not - some direction?
>>
>> TIA -
>> RJF

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Easy Transfer & Outlook
Not to worry. We'll catch it in the Outlook dudgeons if (s)he reposts there.
It does seem a shame that the Outlook and Shell developers seem not to know
or converse with one another. I suspect that most users expect WET to work
for Outlook, and it should. Outlook is one unruly beast.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]