Offline Files won't activate

James L. Williams

Offline Files won't activate
Hello,

I have three brand new computers with Vista Business installed on them. The
first problem that I have with these is that offlien files is enabled, but
won't activate. Each of these three computers connect to a Windows 2003
Domain Server. The domain server has the "My Documents" folder for each
client computer redirect to the network server directory. It also sets up
that this file is to be available offline as these computers are laptops.
However Vista won't activate the offline folders. It says to restart
computer, but this doesn't help.

What is the problem?

Regards

James

Mike Benton

Re: Offline Files won't activate
I've been at a solution for this problem for almost a week. Sad to say...I'm
happy to hear that I'm not the only one. I can't even get someone to
acknowledge the issue.

Mike

"James L. Williams" <Jim_L_Williams@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have three brand new computers with Vista Business installed on them.
> The first problem that I have with these is that offlien files is enabled,
> but won't activate. Each of these three computers connect to a Windows
> 2003 Domain Server. The domain server has the "My Documents" folder for
> each client computer redirect to the network server directory. It also
> sets up that this file is to be available offline as these computers are
> laptops. However Vista won't activate the offline folders. It says to
> restart computer, but this doesn't help.
>
> What is the problem?
>
> Regards
>
> James

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Offline Files won't activate
Guys, can you explain what you mean by "activate"? We're troubleshooting
some other reports of Offline Files/Folder Redirection issues and I can't
quite tell if this is the same issue. What's the symptom?

"Mike Benton" <msnewsgroups@michaelbenton.com> wrote in message
> I've been at a solution for this problem for almost a week. Sad to
> say...I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one. I can't even get
> someone to acknowledge the issue.
>
> Mike
>
> "James L. Williams" <Jim_L_Williams@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have three brand new computers with Vista Business installed on them.
>> The first problem that I have with these is that offlien files is
>> enabled, but won't activate. Each of these three computers connect to a
>> Windows 2003 Domain Server. The domain server has the "My Documents"
>> folder for each client computer redirect to the network server directory.
>> It also sets up that this file is to be available offline as these
>> computers are laptops. However Vista won't activate the offline folders.
>> It says to restart computer, but this doesn't help.
>>
>> What is the problem?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> James

Mike Benton

Re: Offline Files won't activate
The text that I wrote before was exactly the text displayed. When you go to
the control panel and choose "Offline Files" there are three buttons on this
panel. The bottom two are grayed out (at least on my machine). Those two
buttons are "Open Sync Center" and "View your offline files". On the button
you read, "Disable Offline Files". Below the button there is some text that
says, "Offline Files is enabled but not yet active. Restart this computer to
active Offline Files."

I restarted my computer many times. They have yet to activate. Its says the
same thing each time. The closest I've been able to get any type of any
error message is if I try to start the offline files service myself. Then I
receive the message, "Error 0x80070003: The system cannot find the path
specified."

I have an HP DV9260 laptop running the 64-bit version of Vista. If it helps,
I have the LAN, Wi-Fi, and bluetooth adapters. I'm wondering if it's not
some registry values that are either missing or invalid.

Mike Benton

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Guys, can you explain what you mean by "activate"? We're troubleshooting
> some other reports of Offline Files/Folder Redirection issues and I can't
> quite tell if this is the same issue. What's the symptom?

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Mike Benton" <msnewsgroups@michaelbenton.com> wrote in message
>> I've been at a solution for this problem for almost a week. Sad to
>> say...I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one. I can't even get
>> someone to acknowledge the issue.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> "James L. Williams" <Jim_L_Williams@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have three brand new computers with Vista Business installed on them.
>>> The first problem that I have with these is that offlien files is
>>> enabled, but won't activate. Each of these three computers connect to a
>>> Windows 2003 Domain Server. The domain server has the "My Documents"
>>> folder for each client computer redirect to the network server
>>> directory. It also sets up that this file is to be available offline as
>>> these computers are laptops. However Vista won't activate the offline
>>> folders. It says to restart computer, but this doesn't help.
>>>
>>> What is the problem?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> James

James L. Williams

Re: Offline Files won't activate
Mike is correct. I have the same thing on my new computers, all three of
them. There is definately a problem here. What is really sad, is that we
are getting these kinds of errors with the Vista Business. How are
companies IT departments suppose to function when we get these very basic of
networking problems with a new product. In my opinion, I don't think Vista
was ready to be released to the public yet. There seems to be to many basic
problems with it still, ones that cripple a networking envirnoment.

Regards,

James
> The text that I wrote before was exactly the text displayed. When you go
> to the control panel and choose "Offline Files" there are three buttons on
> this panel. The bottom two are grayed out (at least on my machine). Those
> two buttons are "Open Sync Center" and "View your offline files". On the
> button you read, "Disable Offline Files". Below the button there is some
> text that says, "Offline Files is enabled but not yet active. Restart this
> computer to active Offline Files."
>
> I restarted my computer many times. They have yet to activate. Its says
> the same thing each time. The closest I've been able to get any type of
> any error message is if I try to start the offline files service myself.
> Then I receive the message, "Error 0x80070003: The system cannot find the
> path specified."
>
> I have an HP DV9260 laptop running the 64-bit version of Vista. If it
> helps, I have the LAN, Wi-Fi, and bluetooth adapters. I'm wondering if
> it's not some registry values that are either missing or invalid.
>
> Mike Benton
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Guys, can you explain what you mean by "activate"? We're troubleshooting
>> some other reports of Offline Files/Folder Redirection issues and I can't
>> quite tell if this is the same issue. What's the symptom?

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "Mike Benton" <msnewsgroups@michaelbenton.com> wrote in message
>>> I've been at a solution for this problem for almost a week. Sad to
>>> say...I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one. I can't even get
>>> someone to acknowledge the issue.
>>>
>>> Mike

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Offline Files won't activate
Thanks for the clarification. I've sent both of your posts to the Offline
Files team for review. We may need you to generate some log files for us to
help us troubleshoot. I'll post an update when I have one.

> Mike is correct. I have the same thing on my new computers, all three of
> them. There is definately a problem here. What is really sad, is that we
> are getting these kinds of errors with the Vista Business. How are
> companies IT departments suppose to function when we get these very basic
> of networking problems with a new product. In my opinion, I don't think
> Vista was ready to be released to the public yet. There seems to be to
> many basic problems with it still, ones that cripple a networking
> envirnoment.
>
> Regards,
>

> James
> "Mike Benton" <msnewsgroups@michaelbenton.com> wrote in message
>> The text that I wrote before was exactly the text displayed. When you go
>> to the control panel and choose "Offline Files" there are three buttons
>> on this panel. The bottom two are grayed out (at least on my machine).
>> Those two buttons are "Open Sync Center" and "View your offline files".
>> On the button you read, "Disable Offline Files". Below the button there
>> is some text that says, "Offline Files is enabled but not yet active.
>> Restart this computer to active Offline Files."
>>
>> I restarted my computer many times. They have yet to activate. Its says
>> the same thing each time. The closest I've been able to get any type of
>> any error message is if I try to start the offline files service myself.
>> Then I receive the message, "Error 0x80070003: The system cannot find the
>> path specified."
>>
>> I have an HP DV9260 laptop running the 64-bit version of Vista. If it
>> helps, I have the LAN, Wi-Fi, and bluetooth adapters. I'm wondering if
>> it's not some registry values that are either missing or invalid.
>>
>> Mike Benton
>>
>> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Guys, can you explain what you mean by "activate"? We're troubleshooting
>>> some other reports of Offline Files/Folder Redirection issues and I
>>> can't quite tell if this is the same issue. What's the symptom?
>>>
>>> --
>>> rights.
>>>
>>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit
>>> our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Offline Files won't activate
We'd like you to try reinitializing the cache and then checking whether
Offline Files starts. Please review the following instructions carefully
before proceeding:

To reinitialize the Offline Files cache, create the following DWORD registry
value with a value of 1 and restart the system.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC\Paramet ers\FormatDatabase

*Note that any unsynchronized changes will be lost. In addition, any files
and folders pinned by means other than Folder Redirection or Group Policy
will no longer be pinned on that client.*

The setting of this registry value may be automated using REG.EXE.

REG ADD "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC\Parame ters" /v
FormatDatabase /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

> Thanks for the clarification. I've sent both of your posts to the Offline
> Files team for review. We may need you to generate some log files for us
> to help us troubleshoot. I'll post an update when I have one.

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "James L. Williams" <Jim_L_Williams@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Mike is correct. I have the same thing on my new computers, all three of
>> them. There is definately a problem here. What is really sad, is that
>> we are getting these kinds of errors with the Vista Business. How are
>> companies IT departments suppose to function when we get these very basic
>> of networking problems with a new product. In my opinion, I don't think
>> Vista was ready to be released to the public yet. There seems to be to
>> many basic problems with it still, ones that cripple a networking
>> envirnoment.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> James
>> "Mike Benton" <msnewsgroups@michaelbenton.com> wrote in message
>>> The text that I wrote before was exactly the text displayed. When you go
>>> to the control panel and choose "Offline Files" there are three buttons
>>> on this panel. The bottom two are grayed out (at least on my machine).
>>> Those two buttons are "Open Sync Center" and "View your offline files".
>>> On the button you read, "Disable Offline Files". Below the button there
>>> is some text that says, "Offline Files is enabled but not yet active.
>>> Restart this computer to active Offline Files."
>>>
>>> I restarted my computer many times. They have yet to activate. Its says
>>> the same thing each time. The closest I've been able to get any type of
>>> any error message is if I try to start the offline files service myself.
>>> Then I receive the message, "Error 0x80070003: The system cannot find
>>> the path specified."
>>>
>>> I have an HP DV9260 laptop running the 64-bit version of Vista. If it
>>> helps, I have the LAN, Wi-Fi, and bluetooth adapters. I'm wondering if
>>> it's not some registry values that are either missing or invalid.
>>>
>>> Mike Benton

James L. Williams

Re: Offline Files won't activate
Yes, this did work. Buy why did I have to do this on three brand new
computers with a pre-installed Vista Business version.

Also, I have another issue however I am not sure where to post it. On the
start menu, you have default applications and files, however every time I
click "Remove From this List" on the default programs and files, they come
back after a system restart. Why won't they stay removed? I.E. I want to
remove AOL and Windows Media Player from the main Start Menu. So I click
"Remove From this List" and it goes away, but after I restart the computer,
they come back. I can't get rid of them. What is the problem here?

Regards,

James Williams

> We'd like you to try reinitializing the cache and then checking whether
> Offline Files starts. Please review the following instructions carefully
> before proceeding:
>
> To reinitialize the Offline Files cache, create the following DWORD
> registry value with a value of 1 and restart the system.
>
> HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC\Paramet ers\FormatDatabase
>
> *Note that any unsynchronized changes will be lost. In addition, any
> files and folders pinned by means other than Folder Redirection or Group
> Policy will no longer be pinned on that client.*
>
> The setting of this registry value may be automated using REG.EXE.
>
> REG ADD "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC\Parame ters" /v
> FormatDatabase /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the clarification. I've sent both of your posts to the Offline
>> Files team for review. We may need you to generate some log files for us
>> to help us troubleshoot. I'll post an update when I have one.

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "James L. Williams" <Jim_L_Williams@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Mike is correct. I have the same thing on my new computers, all three
>>> of them. There is definately a problem here. What is really sad, is
>>> that we are getting these kinds of errors with the Vista Business. How
>>> are companies IT departments suppose to function when we get these very
>>> basic of networking problems with a new product. In my opinion, I don't
>>> think Vista was ready to be released to the public yet. There seems to
>>> be to many basic problems with it still, ones that cripple a networking
>>> envirnoment.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>

>>> James

Mike Benton

Re: Offline Files won't activate
Thank you very, very much. It's been a week with several hours of searching
for answers. This worked!! Thankfully, that has been my only issue so far
with Vista. I'm a happy customer....

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We'd like you to try reinitializing the cache and then checking whether
> Offline Files starts. Please review the following instructions carefully
> before proceeding:
>
> To reinitialize the Offline Files cache, create the following DWORD
> registry value with a value of 1 and restart the system.
>
> HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC\Paramet ers\FormatDatabase
>
> *Note that any unsynchronized changes will be lost. In addition, any
> files and folders pinned by means other than Folder Redirection or Group
> Policy will no longer be pinned on that client.*
>
> The setting of this registry value may be automated using REG.EXE.
>
> REG ADD "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC\Parame ters" /v
> FormatDatabase /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the clarification. I've sent both of your posts to the Offline
>> Files team for review. We may need you to generate some log files for us
>> to help us troubleshoot. I'll post an update when I have one.

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "James L. Williams" <Jim_L_Williams@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Mike is correct. I have the same thing on my new computers, all three
>>> of them. There is definately a problem here. What is really sad, is
>>> that we are getting these kinds of errors with the Vista Business. How
>>> are companies IT departments suppose to function when we get these very
>>> basic of networking problems with a new product. In my opinion, I don't
>>> think Vista was ready to be released to the public yet. There seems to
>>> be to many basic problems with it still, ones that cripple a networking
>>> envirnoment.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>

>>> James

Stefano

Re: Offline Files won't activate
I have a very serious issue with "Offline folders", so serious that am
almost ready to re-install XP on my laptop. Would you mind to check if among
the reports you are troubleshooting there is this one too?

In the server (SBS 2003 R2) I have a folder with several sub-folders and
hundreds of files, The entire
folder is set to be available offline as they are all the
sub-folders and files. The problem is that some of these files are not
available when I go offline.
What is weird is that in Windows Explorer all the files, including the ones
that are not available, are marked with the green round logo with the two
yellow arrows indicating that they supposedly are available.
To make things more complicated and much worse is that if I right click on a
file/ click properties/ General tab the file show the above
mentioned logo; clicking the "Offline folders" tab the "Always
available offline" option is checked so people would assume that everything
is fine but under "Details" tab the file is listed as "Offline
Availability: Not available" and this is true, the file is not available!
Note that booting with XP the same file, in the same location, same Domain
etc. is available offline therefore is something specifically related to
Vista.
Another thing I noted is that all the files "really" available under
"Details" have, in the "Attribute" line a "A", the one not available do not
have it.
Unquote
Thanks in advance
Stefano