Folder Icon Pictures

bmxjumperc

Folder Icon Pictures
The icon pictures for "Pictures" and "Music" and in the public folder "Public
Documents," Public Downloads," and "Recorded TV" all look like normal
folders. How do I get them to look as they are intended to look?
Rob

Re: Folder Icon Pictures

"bmxjumperc" <bmxjumperc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The icon pictures for "Pictures" and "Music" and in the public folder
> "Public
> Documents," Public Downloads," and "Recorded TV" all look like normal
> folders. How do I get them to look as they are intended to look?

Hello (again)

Have you tried right clicking on folders > Properties > Customize > Restore
Default.

Have you checked for previous versions of the folders and tried to
reinstall?

Rob

--
Red meat isn't bad for you....Blue, Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop
P4 3.0GHz
1GB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Creative SB Audigy 2

bmxjumperc

Re: Folder Icon Pictures
When I click on start then hover over the "Pictures" and "Music" folders they
still look like the normal folder instead of what they are intended to look
like.

> When I click on start then hover over the "Pictures" and "Music" folders
> they
> still look like the normal folder instead of what they are intended to
> look
> like.

Sorry, but hovering over things won't do diddly. What exactly do you mean?
Either your Music and Pictures icons don't look like the default vista icons
or you've had too much tequila ;-)

The default icons in Users\Public are yellow in colour with either film
strip/pictures or CD/musical note on them. The default icons in
Users\yourname are somewhat different, more jazzed up, with a greenish
transparent look, well they are on mine at least.

So are you saying that the icons in Users\yourname just look like ordinary
yellow folders?

If so then I'm not sure how to get them back. Maybe a repair of the icon
cache?

To do this you have to delete the "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\IconCache.db"
hidden file
and then restart the computer.

If that doesn't do the trick then also try this:

Right-click desktop, choose Personalize, choose Display Settings. Change the
colour depth, click Apply, change colour depth back to original setting,
click Apply. That should refresh the icon cache.

Rob

--
Red meat isn't bad for you....Blue, Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop
P4 3.0GHz
1GB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Creative SB Audigy 2

Rogue

Re: Folder Icon Pictures
Open a command prompt, navigate to the co:\users\<username>\folder
Type "attrib +or music" (without the quotes) and press enter
Check the attributes of the folder by typing "attrib music".
It should look like this

C:\Users\Rogue>attrib music
R C:\Users\Rogue\Music

close the console window and all should be normal.

"bmxjumperc" <bmxjumperc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The icon pictures for "Pictures" and "Music" and in the public folder
> "Public
> Documents," Public Downloads," and "Recorded TV" all look like normal
> folders. How do I get them to look as they are intended to look?

bmxjumperc

Re: Folder Icon Pictures
Now when I click on start then Pictures nothing happens but the icon is back
to what it should look like and the music folder is not what should I do?

"Rogue" wrote:

> Open a command prompt, navigate to the co:\users\<username>\folder
> Type "attrib +or music" (without the quotes) and press enter
> Check the attributes of the folder by typing "attrib music".
> It should look like this
>
> C:\Users\Rogue>attrib music
> R C:\Users\Rogue\Music
>
> close the console window and all should be normal.
>
> "bmxjumperc" <bmxjumperc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The icon pictures for "Pictures" and "Music" and in the public folder
> > "Public
> > Documents," Public Downloads," and "Recorded TV" all look like normal
> > folders. How do I get them to look as they are intended to look?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Folder Icon Pictures
Shell folders are displayed with the standard folder icon in Windows Vista:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/130/1/

--
Regards,

"bmxjumperc" <bmxjumperc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C19F3988-CBF6-48E5-A70C-DA15BC135377@microsoft.com...
The icon pictures for "Pictures" and "Music" and in the public folder "Public
Documents," Public Downloads," and "Recorded TV" all look like normal
folders. How do I get them to look as they are intended to look?
Rogue

Re: Folder Icon Pictures
If you do the attrib command and there is any other attributes apart from
the R, you may want to remove them with the - (as in -he) and see if that
works