Indexing service isn't indexing a particular file under documents.

Zicksen

Indexing service isn't indexing a particular file under documents.
I have a Word document that I saved under my Documents folder. The search
does not index it (I can only find it under advanced search if I also have it
search non-indexed files). I went to start > index > modify and it says that
the Documents folder should be indexed, and all the files are except the Word
document. Anyway to fix this?
R. C. White

Re: Indexing service isn't indexing a particular file under documents.
Hi, Zicksen.

Check your settings in Control Panel\Indexing Options. In \Advanced\File
Types, there are several variations on the .doc extension; are you using a
non-standard extension for your file? (Caution: Sometimes a slight change
in this list will require the whole index to be rebuilt.)

Also, has the Indexing program had time to index it yet? To keep from
interfering too much with our use of the computer, the indexing works in the
background, waiting for times when the computer is "idle" (waiting for us to
do something). Maybe the new document will be there after your next coffee
break. :^}

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Zicksen" <Zicksen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a Word document that I saved under my Documents folder. The search
> does not index it (I can only find it under advanced search if I also have
> it
> search non-indexed files). I went to start > index > modify and it says
> that
> the Documents folder should be indexed, and all the files are except the
> Word
> document. Anyway to fix this?

Zicksen

Re: Indexing service isn't indexing a particular file under docume
That worked. Thanks.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Zicksen.
>
> Check your settings in Control Panel\Indexing Options. In \Advanced\File
> Types, there are several variations on the .doc extension; are you using a
> non-standard extension for your file? (Caution: Sometimes a slight change
> in this list will require the whole index to be rebuilt.)
>
> Also, has the Indexing program had time to index it yet? To keep from
> interfering too much with our use of the computer, the indexing works in the
> background, waiting for times when the computer is "idle" (waiting for us to
> do something). Maybe the new document will be there after your next coffee
> break. :^}
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 beta v.275)
>
> "Zicksen" <Zicksen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a Word document that I saved under my Documents folder. The search
> > does not index it (I can only find it under advanced search if I also have
> > it
> > search non-indexed files). I went to start > index > modify and it says
> > that
> > the Documents folder should be indexed, and all the files are except the
> > Word
> > document. Anyway to fix this?

R. C. White

Re: Indexing service isn't indexing a particular file under docume
Hi, Zicksen.

Great! I'm glad it worked. Thanks for the report back.

But, what worked? Correcting the file extension? Or just waiting for the
index to update?

(Some other user with a similar question might be able to use your
experience.)

RC
--

> That worked. Thanks.
>
> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
>> Hi, Zicksen.
>>
>> Check your settings in Control Panel\Indexing Options. In \Advanced\File
>> Types, there are several variations on the .doc extension; are you using
>> non-standard extension for your file? (Caution: Sometimes a slight
>> change
>> in this list will require the whole index to be rebuilt.)
>>
>> Also, has the Indexing program had time to index it yet? To keep from
>> interfering too much with our use of the computer, the indexing works in
>> the
>> background, waiting for times when the computer is "idle" (waiting for us
>> do something). Maybe the new document will be there after your next
>> coffee
>> break. :^}
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Zicksen" <Zicksen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have a Word document that I saved under my Documents folder. The
>> > search
>> > does not index it (I can only find it under advanced search if I also
>> > have
>> > it
>> > search non-indexed files). I went to start > index > modify and it says
>> > that
>> > the Documents folder should be indexed, and all the files are except
>> > the
>> > Word
>> > document. Anyway to fix this?

Zicksen

Re: Indexing service isn't indexing a particular file under docume
Sorry it took me a while to post back. It was just waiting for the index to
work. I had thought it would've done it since I had the file on my computer
for five days but I guess I never left it idle. Also, thanks for the file
extension information though (in case that happens in the future).