Missing files

nelsonj3

Missing files
In many folders on my computer Explorer doesn't see a number of files. It
will see some of them but not all. Could it be that the hard drive index is
incomplete?
What is weird is that other programs (Irfanview for one) can see these files
when Explorer can't. Why would that be? If I want to manipulate them I have
to do it from a program not designed for the task.

Rogue

Re: Missing files
There is a setting in Windows Explorer (Options>Folder and Search
Options>View Tab>Hide protected operating system files). This is enabled by
default to not show certain file types, regardless of if you have hidden
files on or off. Having hidden or system files hidden can also make some
files not show.

"nelsonj3" <nelsonj3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In many folders on my computer Explorer doesn't see a number of files. It
> will see some of them but not all. Could it be that the hard drive index
> is
> incomplete?
> What is weird is that other programs (Irfanview for one) can see these
> files
> when Explorer can't. Why would that be? If I want to manipulate them I
> have
> to do it from a program not designed for the task.

nelsonj3

Re: Missing files
Thanks for the tip, but this is not the problem. Many times it will show one
file but not another of the same type. It also happens to folders. Any
ideas?

"Rogue" wrote:

> There is a setting in Windows Explorer (Options>Folder and Search
> Options>View Tab>Hide protected operating system files). This is enabled by
> default to not show certain file types, regardless of if you have hidden
> files on or off. Having hidden or system files hidden can also make some
> files not show.
>
> "nelsonj3" <nelsonj3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In many folders on my computer Explorer doesn't see a number of files. It
> > will see some of them but not all. Could it be that the hard drive index
> > is
> > incomplete?
> > What is weird is that other programs (Irfanview for one) can see these
> > files
> > when Explorer can't. Why would that be? If I want to manipulate them I
> > have
> > to do it from a program not designed for the task.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Missing files
Nelsonj3

Give us the path to some of the folders where you are seeing this behavior.
In Windows Explorer when you are viewing one of these folders, click an
empty spot in the Address Bar and right click/copy the path that is shown
there. Paste the path back here, in a reply.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP