Trouble with multiple file selection in Vista Explorer

Lord Vladimir Fedorov

Trouble with multiple file selection in Vista Explorer
Hello everyone,

After some time of using Vista suddenly, I couldn't select multiple files in
Explorer either holding shift or ctrl. Any ideas how could I fix it?

I suspect Vista Manager tweaker has done this nut job, however Registry
doesn't allow to view the dates of hanges in it, so I couldn't be sure it is
Vista Manager.

Thanks in advance,

Vlad

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Trouble with multiple file selection in Vista Explorer
Hi Vlad,

See this note from Keith Miller, MS-MVP.

<quote>

It's a quirk of Explorer that's been showing up on some people's machines.
No known cause yet, but it gets saved with folder views once it happens.

I've written a script that helps MOST people with the multi-select problem.
It will remove single-select from saved folder views & saved defaults.
Right-click the link below & select 'Save Target As..."

http://mysite.verizon.net/res18hr7/FixSingleSelect.zip

Then extract the contents of the .zip file & run the script.

</quote>

--
Regards,

WindowsR Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Lord Vladimir Fedorov" <gomer2004@mail2world.com> wrote in message news:Oa3%23fEIDIHA.4196@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
Hello everyone,

After some time of using Vista suddenly, I couldn't select multiple files in
Explorer either holding shift or ctrl. Any ideas how could I fix it?

I suspect Vista Manager tweaker has done this nut job, however Registry
doesn't allow to view the dates of hanges in it, so I couldn't be sure it is
Vista Manager.

Thanks in advance,

Vlad

Lord Vladimir Fedorov

Re: Trouble with multiple file selection in Vista Explorer
Hello, Ramesh,!
You wrote on Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:55:52 +0530:

RMM> See this note from Keith Miller, MS-MVP.
RMM> http://mysite.verizon.net/res18hr7/FixSingleSelect.zip
RMM> Then extract the contents of the .zip file & run the script.

Thank you, guys. Works.

As fars as I see it fixes registry at
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer \Streams\Defaults
I think it's a registry value change issue.

Thanks once more.

With best regards, Lord Vladimir Fedorov.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Trouble with multiple file selection in Vista Explorer
You're welcome!

--

"Lord Vladimir Fedorov" <gomer2004@mail2world.com> wrote in message news:%23j8nDwIDIHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
Hello, Ramesh,!
You wrote on Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:55:52 +0530:

RMM> See this note from Keith Miller, MS-MVP.
RMM> http://mysite.verizon.net/res18hr7/FixSingleSelect.zip
RMM> Then extract the contents of the .zip file & run the script.

Thank you, guys. Works.

As fars as I see it fixes registry at
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer \Streams\Defaults
I think it's a registry value change issue.

Thanks once more.

With best regards, Lord Vladimir Fedorov.

Lucvdv

Lord Vladimir Fedorov wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> After some time of using Vista suddenly, I couldn't select multiple files in
> Explorer either holding shift or ctrl. Any ideas how could I fix it?
>
> I suspect Vista Manager tweaker has done this nut job, however Registry
> doesn't allow to view the dates of hanges in it, so I couldn't be sure it is
> Vista Manager.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Is your mouse an MS Intellimouse Explorer? I've had symptoms
resembling this with one of those. The most common seems to be that
drag and drop functionality stops working.

AFAIK this happens after inadvertently clicking one of the extra
buttons, or pressing the mouse wheel too hard while rotating it, or
pressing two buttons at once or so.

Just trying all the buttons one by one always fixed it.

The Intellimouse Explorer's integration in the UI seems to behave a
bit flaky: the same action doesn't always have the same effect.

For example when the drag and drop functionality in explorer stops
working, I can repair that by clicking the mouse wheel once - but
normally, clicking the mouse wheel starts a sort of task switcher (a
third variety, different from the ones you get with alt+tab and
windows+tab). But at other times, I have to double-click the mouse
wheel to get that functionality, and a single click appears to do
nothing at all.