Start menu folder problem

ardis_invidus

Start menu folder problem
I got a new Dell computer with Windows vista already on it, and everything
has been fine, until I had a weird issue with a game I tried to install. I
think the game was not Vista compatable.
When I installed it, there was an error message during installation, but the
game installed fine. When it was done, I looked at the start menu and the
installation had created two folders in the start menu, with the exact same
name, but only one had any shortcuts in it. I uninstalled the game with no
listed errors, but then both folders were left on the start menu, but now
both were empty. I right clicked on one folder, and deleted it. No problem
there, but I couldn't right click on the the other folder. I can right click
on everything else, but not this mysterious folder. I can't move it, rename
it, or anything. If I try to drag it to the desktop, I get an error message
that simply says "could not find this item" and then gives details about it
not being in the start menu.
I went into the start menu customization, and tried to 'remove' it. On the
list of folders in the start menu, all of my normal folders were there, but
not this mysterious folder. Instead there was a folder that had no name, and
no subdirectories or shortcuts. I assume this is the mysterious folder, so I
clicked to 'remove' it. Windows gave the same error message as when I try to
drag the mysterious folder to the desktop, and then it took that nameless
folder off of the list of available folders to remove. I went back to the
start menu, but the mysterious empty game folder is still there, and I still
can't right click it, or remove it. I would do a system restore, but the
problem was weeks ago, and I forgot about system restore at the time, so now
I've made too many changes and it's too late.
I have no idea what to do at this point, any help is appreciated.
Richard Urban

Re: Start menu folder problem
The first thing to try is a system reboot - then delete. The folder may be
locked by something that is held in the RAM. A reboot will usually flush the
RAM and allow a delete.

No joy! Power down the computer for about 15 seconds. Then start up and try
to delete the folder. This will take care of the rare instances where the
RAM does not flush completely upon a reboot (yes, it happens). If you are
using a notebook be aware that shutting off the computer does not actually
remove power. You may have to take out the battery and unplug from the wall
outlet.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban