Display actual file type, not description of the type

Doug

Display actual file type, not description of the type
Is it possible, in Windows Explorer Search, to display the actual type,
rather than the description of the type? eg .mp3 rather than "MPEG
Layer...."
--
Doug
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Display actual file type, not description of the type
The file type description can be changed by altering a registry value under the ProgID of a file type. For more information on using the Registry Editor (regedit.exe), see the following Microsoft Web site:

Microsoft Windows XP - Using Regedit.exe:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...egeditors.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

The default ProgID location for .mp3 file types, is given below.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.ASSOCFILE.MP3

Double-click "FriendlyTypeName" and assign a preferred string, say "MP3 file"

Logoff and login back, for the change to take effect.

IMPORTANT: The above assumes that you're using Windows Media Player to play .mp3 audio. In case you had installed a third-party mp3 audio player and set it as the default handler for mp3, then the ProgID/registry location varies. If that's the case, send me a .mp3 file association log. Follow these steps:

1. Download FileExtInfo.zip from here:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fileextinfo.htm

2. Unzip the utility and extract the files to Desktop.
3. Double-click "FileExtInfo.exe" to run it.
4. Select the file type from the list box
5. Click "View file association report"
6. Copy the contents of the report and include it in your reply.

--
Regards,

"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F6A5EE3B-7F01-4D0B-865E-367A703EB318@microsoft.com...
Is it possible, in Windows Explorer Search, to display the actual type,
rather than the description of the type? eg .mp3 rather than "MPEG
Layer...."
--
Doug
Doug

Re: Display actual file type, not description of the type
That seems like a lot of work. I'd have to do it for every file type. I
never use, and am not intested in the Microsoft description. When I sort on
file type, I want .doc to be sorted before .pdf, not after. This is another
example of MS telling me how I should think and work.
--
Doug

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> The file type description can be changed by altering a registry value under the ProgID of a file type. For more information on using the Registry Editor (regedit.exe), see the following Microsoft Web site:
>
> Microsoft Windows XP - Using Regedit.exe:
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...egeditors.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
>
> The default ProgID location for .mp3 file types, is given below.
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.ASSOCFILE.MP3
>
> Double-click "FriendlyTypeName" and assign a preferred string, say "MP3 file"
>
> Logoff and login back, for the change to take effect.
>
> IMPORTANT: The above assumes that you're using Windows Media Player to play .mp3 audio. In case you had installed a third-party mp3 audio player and set it as the default handler for mp3, then the ProgID/registry location varies. If that's the case, send me a .mp3 file association log. Follow these steps:
>
> 1. Download FileExtInfo.zip from here:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fileextinfo.htm
>
> 2. Unzip the utility and extract the files to Desktop.
> 3. Double-click "FileExtInfo.exe" to run it.
> 4. Select the file type from the list box
> 5. Click "View file association report"
> 6. Copy the contents of the report and include it in your reply.
>

> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F6A5EE3B-7F01-4D0B-865E-367A703EB318@microsoft.com...
> Is it possible, in Windows Explorer Search, to display the actual type,
> rather than the description of the type? eg .mp3 rather than "MPEG
> Layer...."
> --
> Doug

Donald Lessau

"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> That seems like a lot of work. I'd have to do it for every file type. I
> never use, and am not intested in the Microsoft description. When I sort
> on
> file type, I want .doc to be sorted before .pdf, not after. This is
> another
> example of MS telling me how I should think and work.

Try XYplorer file manager, which has Ext (extension) as a separate sortable
column.
See screenshot: http://www.xyplorer.com/images/xy_800x600.png

Don