Windows Desktop Search in Vista taskbar, like in Win XP?

Randy P.

Windows Desktop Search in Vista taskbar, like in Win XP?
I installed Windows Desktop Search in Win XP and really loved the way I could
type a search right into the taskbar and see results as I typed.

But I've upgraded to Vista, and now I can't figure out how to get search on
the task bar, next to the notification area like with Win XP. Having to
click Start, Search, Files and Folders is a relative pain since I do it all
day long.

What did I miss? It was a *great* feature!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this!
Dave Wood [MS]

Re: Windows Desktop Search in Vista taskbar, like in Win XP?
Why don't you just click on the Start button and type your query? It takes
the same number of clicks and is also performing a search of your documents,
mails and apps.

"Randy P." <Randy P.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed Windows Desktop Search in Win XP and really loved the way I
>could
> type a search right into the taskbar and see results as I typed.
>
> But I've upgraded to Vista, and now I can't figure out how to get search
> on
> the task bar, next to the notification area like with Win XP. Having to
> click Start, Search, Files and Folders is a relative pain since I do it
> all
> day long.
>
> What did I miss? It was a *great* feature!
>
> Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this!

Randy P.

Re: Windows Desktop Search in Vista taskbar, like in Win XP?
Hi Dave,

Sorry but I don't understand. If I click Start and start typing, it doesn't
work -- my options include Search, but I need to hover over that, then hover
over "files and folders," click on it, and *then* start typing.

With the new version I had in XP, I just clicked inside the search box down
in my taskbar and immediately started typing, and it would search my
documents, emails, etc. just like the Vista version. Results started to show
up as soon as I typed the first character -- note that this was an add-on
that I installed as a Microsoft download for XP, not the old built-in search
from XP that was slow and cumbersome. It was my understanding that the XP
download was essentially the Vista search as a separate application for XP.

I believe it was WDS 3.0 for Win XP.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Randy

"Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:

> Why don't you just click on the Start button and type your query? It takes
> the same number of clicks and is also performing a search of your documents,
> mails and apps.
>
> "Randy P." <Randy P.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I installed Windows Desktop Search in Win XP and really loved the way I
> >could
> > type a search right into the taskbar and see results as I typed.
> >
> > But I've upgraded to Vista, and now I can't figure out how to get search
> > on
> > the task bar, next to the notification area like with Win XP. Having to
> > click Start, Search, Files and Folders is a relative pain since I do it
> > all
> > day long.
> >
> > What did I miss? It was a *great* feature!
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this!

Dave Wood [MS]

Re: Windows Desktop Search in Vista taskbar, like in Win XP?
Well, when you click on the start button, your keyboard focus is now on a
text box with the title "Start Search". As soon as you start typing here a
search will be launched across your documents, e-mail, and also installed
programs etc. The results show up in the left hand side of the Start Menu. I
think it offers pretty neat functionality, similar to the WDS taskbar
add-in.

Are you not seeing this? I'm wondering if you are using the Classic Start
Menu rather than the default Vista one ...

> Hi Dave,
>
> Sorry but I don't understand. If I click Start and start typing, it
> doesn't
> work -- my options include Search, but I need to hover over that, then
> hover
> over "files and folders," click on it, and *then* start typing.
>
> With the new version I had in XP, I just clicked inside the search box
> down
> in my taskbar and immediately started typing, and it would search my
> documents, emails, etc. just like the Vista version. Results started to
> show
> up as soon as I typed the first character -- note that this was an add-on
> that I installed as a Microsoft download for XP, not the old built-in
> search
> from XP that was slow and cumbersome. It was my understanding that the XP
> download was essentially the Vista search as a separate application for
> XP.
>
> I believe it was WDS 3.0 for Win XP.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> Randy
>
> "Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:
>
>> Why don't you just click on the Start button and type your query? It
>> takes
>> the same number of clicks and is also performing a search of your
>> documents,
>> mails and apps.
>>
>> "Randy P." <Randy P.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I installed Windows Desktop Search in Win XP and really loved the way I
>> >could
>> > type a search right into the taskbar and see results as I typed.
>> >
>> > But I've upgraded to Vista, and now I can't figure out how to get
>> > search
>> > on
>> > the task bar, next to the notification area like with Win XP. Having
>> > click Start, Search, Files and Folders is a relative pain since I do it
>> > all
>> > day long.
>> >
>> > What did I miss? It was a *great* feature!
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this!

Randy P.

Re: Windows Desktop Search in Vista taskbar, like in Win XP?
You're absolutely right, Dave! I wasn't too wild about the new style menus
so I went back to classic. When I switched back to the new menus, I see
exactly what you're talking about and it works fine.

I guess I'll get used to the new menus! ;-)

Thanks very much for your time and thoughts.

Randy