deleting file 'in use by another process' in Vista

fizzy12

deleting file 'in use by another process' in Vista
In upgrading from XP to Vista something seems to have gone wrong with a
particular file "NTUSER.Dat". (It may have corrupted . . .?)

When I try to open/delete/change name/change properties get message "in use
by another process" (which in idiot speak is not the case).

I now have no idea what this file is - while I would like to open it I
recognise this may not be an option. When I then try to at least delete etc
etc as above I get the message indicated.

Is there any way to either delete (or open). Thanks for any assist.
Jeff Richards

Re: deleting file 'in use by another process' in Vista
You should not attempt to delete this file - it is an important system file.
The message about it being in use is correct.

What is the problem you are trying to fix by deleting this file?
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"fizzy12" <fizzy12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In upgrading from XP to Vista something seems to have gone wrong with a
> particular file "NTUSER.Dat". (It may have corrupted . . .?)
>
> When I try to open/delete/change name/change properties get message "in
> use
> by another process" (which in idiot speak is not the case).
>
> I now have no idea what this file is - while I would like to open it I
> recognise this may not be an option. When I then try to at least delete
> etc
> etc as above I get the message indicated.
>
> Is there any way to either delete (or open). Thanks for any assist.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: deleting file 'in use by another process' in Vista
Fizzy12

Why are you trying to delete this file?

This is one of the most important files on the system. Here is a brief
description.

NTUSER.DAT - Within the root of the profile, a file named NTUSER.DAT
contains the user's personalized settings for the majority of software
installed on the computer, including Windows itself. When the user logs-on,
NTUSER.DAT becomes merged with the computer's registry, such that it appears
as the HKEY_CURRENT_USER branch of the registry tree. NTUSER.DAT is held
open for writing (i.e. 'locked') for the entire time the user remains
logged-on.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

"fizzy12" <fizzy12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In upgrading from XP to Vista something seems to have gone wrong with a
> particular file "NTUSER.Dat". (It may have corrupted . . .?)
>
> When I try to open/delete/change name/change properties get message "in
> use
> by another process" (which in idiot speak is not the case).
>
> I now have no idea what this file is - while I would like to open it I
> recognise this may not be an option. When I then try to at least delete
> etc
> etc as above I get the message indicated.
>
> Is there any way to either delete (or open). Thanks for any assist.

fizzy12

Re: deleting file 'in use by another process' in Vista
Thanks for the response. I didn't know that.

In the process of upgrading to vista I copied all files inc this to an
external data bank & then downloaded back once vista had hard installed. I
suspect this particular file therefore actually relates to the previous
"state" - on the other hand I don't know & don't seem to have a second
version (that would relate to current ops registry).

Is there any way of finding out whether this is a REDUNDANT FILE relating to
previous state, & if so deleting it? Or at least hiding it - the only reason
I'm on the case is the irritation factor!

Any help thanks.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Fizzy12
>
> Why are you trying to delete this file?
>
> This is one of the most important files on the system. Here is a brief
> description.
>
> NTUSER.DAT - Within the root of the profile, a file named NTUSER.DAT
> contains the user's personalized settings for the majority of software
> installed on the computer, including Windows itself. When the user logs-on,
> NTUSER.DAT becomes merged with the computer's registry, such that it appears
> as the HKEY_CURRENT_USER branch of the registry tree. NTUSER.DAT is held
> open for writing (i.e. 'locked') for the entire time the user remains
> logged-on.
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "fizzy12" <fizzy12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In upgrading from XP to Vista something seems to have gone wrong with a
> > particular file "NTUSER.Dat". (It may have corrupted . . .?)
> >
> > When I try to open/delete/change name/change properties get message "in
> > use
> > by another process" (which in idiot speak is not the case).
> >
> > I now have no idea what this file is - while I would like to open it I
> > recognise this may not be an option. When I then try to at least delete
> > etc
> > etc as above I get the message indicated.
> >
> > Is there any way to either delete (or open). Thanks for any assist.

Jeff Richards

Re: deleting file 'in use by another process' in Vista
If it is 'in use' then it is almost certainly the version that you shouldn't
be trying to delete.

I would suspect that your attempt to copy the original backup over this file
would have failed, for the same reason that the system won't let you delete
the file now. That would mean it is the correct Vista version, and therefore
you don't have to be concerned with it, and you certainly don't want to
delete it. In fact, if your restore procedure had overwritten this file
with the XP backup you would likely have significant problems with this
user.

Choose Tools \ Folder Options \ View and select Hide protected operating
system files (Recommended) to hide it.
--
> Thanks for the response. I didn't know that.
>
> In the process of upgrading to vista I copied all files inc this to an
> external data bank & then downloaded back once vista had hard installed.
> suspect this particular file therefore actually relates to the previous
> "state" - on the other hand I don't know & don't seem to have a second
> version (that would relate to current ops registry).
>
> Is there any way of finding out whether this is a REDUNDANT FILE relating
> previous state, & if so deleting it? Or at least hiding it - the only
> reason
> I'm on the case is the irritation factor!
>
> Any help thanks.

vanilla

Re: deleting file 'in use by another process' in Vista
Haven't checked this group for awhile and just found your explanation of
NTUSER.DAT ... thanks very much, that was very helpful ... I always
wondered what it was ... vanilla

> Fizzy12
>
> Why are you trying to delete this file?
>
> This is one of the most important files on the system. Here is a brief
> description.
>
> NTUSER.DAT - Within the root of the profile, a file named NTUSER.DAT
> contains the user's personalized settings for the majority of software
> installed on the computer, including Windows itself. When the user
> logs-on, NTUSER.DAT becomes merged with the computer's registry, such that
> it appears as the HKEY_CURRENT_USER branch of the registry tree.
> NTUSER.DAT is held open for writing (i.e. 'locked') for the entire time
> the user remains logged-on.
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "fizzy12" <fizzy12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> In upgrading from XP to Vista something seems to have gone wrong with a
>> particular file "NTUSER.Dat". (It may have corrupted . . .?)
>>
>> When I try to open/delete/change name/change properties get message "in
>> use
>> by another process" (which in idiot speak is not the case).
>>
>> I now have no idea what this file is - while I would like to open it I
>> recognise this may not be an option. When I then try to at least delete
>> etc
>> etc as above I get the message indicated.
>>
>> Is there any way to either delete (or open). Thanks for any assist.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: deleting file 'in use by another process' in Vista
Vanilla

Your welcome, glad this helped.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"vanilla" <vanilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Haven't checked this group for awhile and just found your explanation of
> NTUSER.DAT ... thanks very much, that was very helpful ... I always
> wondered what it was ... vanilla
>

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <rv@invalid.org> wrote in message
>> Fizzy12
>>
>> Why are you trying to delete this file?
>>
>> This is one of the most important files on the system. Here is a brief
>> description.
>>
>> NTUSER.DAT - Within the root of the profile, a file named NTUSER.DAT
>> contains the user's personalized settings for the majority of software
>> installed on the computer, including Windows itself. When the user
>> logs-on, NTUSER.DAT becomes merged with the computer's registry, such
>> that it appears as the HKEY_CURRENT_USER branch of the registry tree.
>> NTUSER.DAT is held open for writing (i.e. 'locked') for the entire time
>> the user remains logged-on.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "fizzy12" <fizzy12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> In upgrading from XP to Vista something seems to have gone wrong with a
>>> particular file "NTUSER.Dat". (It may have corrupted . . .?)
>>>
>>> When I try to open/delete/change name/change properties get message "in
>>> use
>>> by another process" (which in idiot speak is not the case).
>>>
>>> I now have no idea what this file is - while I would like to open it I
>>> recognise this may not be an option. When I then try to at least delete
>>> etc
>>> etc as above I get the message indicated.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to either delete (or open). Thanks for any assist.

joe_mich

Re: deleting file 'in use by another process' in Vista
Ronnie, along the same lines (problem with "NTuser file", I'm trying to copy
my complete disk to an external one. Each time I get a NTuser error and ask
me to not use that file. Obviously, I'm the user and cannot perform the copy
with this catch-20 situation. How would I get around the problem. Thanks

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Vanilla
>
> Your welcome, glad this helped.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "vanilla" <vanilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Haven't checked this group for awhile and just found your explanation of
> > NTUSER.DAT ... thanks very much, that was very helpful ... I always
> > wondered what it was ... vanilla
> >

> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <rv@invalid.org> wrote in message
> >> Fizzy12
> >>
> >> Why are you trying to delete this file?
> >>
> >> This is one of the most important files on the system. Here is a brief
> >> description.
> >>
> >> NTUSER.DAT - Within the root of the profile, a file named NTUSER.DAT
> >> contains the user's personalized settings for the majority of software
> >> installed on the computer, including Windows itself. When the user
> >> logs-on, NTUSER.DAT becomes merged with the computer's registry, such
> >> that it appears as the HKEY_CURRENT_USER branch of the registry tree.
> >> NTUSER.DAT is held open for writing (i.e. 'locked') for the entire time
> >> the user remains logged-on.
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: deleting file 'in use by another process' in Vista
Hi joe_mich

You cannot simply copy a complete system disk to another location while that
disk is in use. The only way to do this is by accessing that disk from
another system, while it is not in use. You can also use any of the many
backup programs to accomplish this. These programs are made to use something
similar to 'shadow copy' to accomplish the copying.

I personally recommend using the Acronis True Image program. This program
can make a copy of the complete system disk and you can use it to recover
the entire disk or any of the individual files.

Acronis True Image:
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

--

Ronnie Vernon