How can I delete multiples of Desktop file folder?

Bellas

How can I delete multiples of Desktop file folder?
Somehow with inexperience using Vista, I created a series of Desktop file
folders in my user folder, some sited within each other. When I try to delete
the multiples, I get a message "The action can't be completed because the
folder is open in another program. Close the folder and try again."
I'm a bit of a neatness freak, so this multiplicity bothers me a little.
Apprecate any help!
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: How can I delete multiples of Desktop file folder?
Hi Bellas,

Your user profile folder already has a folder named "Desktop". What's the name of the folder you created, and can you post the directory structure of that folder?

--
Regards,

"Bellas" <Bellas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11CE1592-96F5-4462-A4B5-6F59979A656A@microsoft.com...
Somehow with inexperience using Vista, I created a series of Desktop file
folders in my user folder, some sited within each other. When I try to delete
the multiples, I get a message "The action can't be completed because the
folder is open in another program. Close the folder and try again."
I'm a bit of a neatness freak, so this multiplicity bothers me a little.
Apprecate any help!
Bellas

Re: How can I delete multiples of Desktop file folder?

My user profile is RMB, so the desktop versions are Desktop (with RMB as a
subdirectory), RMB-Desktop (folder that creates every time I save something
to the desktop), RMB-Desktop (file folder), RMB-Desktop-Desktop (file folder)
RMB-Desktop-Desktop-Desktop!!
I haven't intentionally created any of these, they just keep growing!
"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Bellas,
>
> Your user profile folder already has a folder named "Desktop". What's the name of the folder you created, and can you post the directory structure of that folder?
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Bellas" <Bellas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11CE1592-96F5-4462-A4B5-6F59979A656A@microsoft.com...
> Somehow with inexperience using Vista, I created a series of Desktop file
> folders in my user folder, some sited within each other. When I try to delete
> the multiples, I get a message "The action can't be completed because the
> folder is open in another program. Close the folder and try again."
> I'm a bit of a neatness freak, so this multiplicity bothers me a little.
> Apprecate any help!

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: How can I delete multiples of Desktop file folder?
C:\Users\RMB\Desktop (This one is the default shell folder for "Desktop". So leave it as it is.)

As for the other folders, you should be able to delete using Command Prompt. (Type RD /? for more help on removing directories from Command Prompt.)

--
Regards,

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Bellas,
>
> Your user profile folder already has a folder named "Desktop". What's the name of the folder you created, and can you post the directory structure of that folder?
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Bellas" <Bellas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11CE1592-96F5-4462-A4B5-6F59979A656A@microsoft.com...
> Somehow with inexperience using Vista, I created a series of Desktop file
> folders in my user folder, some sited within each other. When I try to delete
> the multiples, I get a message "The action can't be completed because the
> folder is open in another program. Close the folder and try again."
> I'm a bit of a neatness freak, so this multiplicity bothers me a little.
> Apprecate any help!

Chris82

Re: How can I delete multiples of Desktop file folder?
Hi, I'm having the same troube with a game demo I downloaded. It's an .exe
file and I'm trying to delete it but it says gives me the "File In Use" mssg
box. I've tried running safe mode and deleting and still doesn't work. Also,
I tried from the command line but it's a two word folder name and it is not
showing the DOS name. So, if I try to erase it from the command prompt, it
gives me the "The system cannot find the file specified"

Thanks,
Chris.
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: How can I delete multiples of Desktop file folder?
Chris,

Enclosing the folder path within double-quotes should help.

Example:

"C:\Some Folder\MyFile.exe"

Or, type DIR /X to show the short file name.

--
Regards,

"Chris82" <Chris82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7809FD66-2F61-4BB6-B3E2-30AD15821869@microsoft.com...
Hi, I'm having the same troube with a game demo I downloaded. It's an ..exe
file and I'm trying to delete it but it says gives me the "File In Use" mssg
box. I've tried running safe mode and deleting and still doesn't work. Also,
I tried from the command line but it's a two word folder name and it is not
showing the DOS name. So, if I try to erase it from the command prompt, it
gives me the "The system cannot find the file specified"

Thanks,
Chris.
Chris82

Re: How can I delete multiples of Desktop file folder?
Oh man...this worked flawlessly...thanks a lot man.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Enclosing the folder path within double-quotes should help.
>
> Example:
>
> "C:\Some Folder\MyFile.exe"
>
> Or, type DIR /X to show the short file name.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Chris82" <Chris82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7809FD66-2F61-4BB6-B3E2-30AD15821869@microsoft.com...
> Hi, I'm having the same troube with a game demo I downloaded. It's an ..exe
> file and I'm trying to delete it but it says gives me the "File In Use" mssg
> box. I've tried running safe mode and deleting and still doesn't work. Also,
> I tried from the command line but it's a two word folder name and it is not
> showing the DOS name. So, if I try to erase it from the command prompt, it
> gives me the "The system cannot find the file specified"
>
> Thanks,
> Chris.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: How can I delete multiples of Desktop file folder?
You're welcome!

--
Regards,

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Enclosing the folder path within double-quotes should help.
>
> Example:
>
> "C:\Some Folder\MyFile.exe"
>
> Or, type DIR /X to show the short file name.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Chris82" <Chris82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7809FD66-2F61-4BB6-B3E2-30AD15821869@microsoft.com...
> Hi, I'm having the same troube with a game demo I downloaded. It's an ...exe
> file and I'm trying to delete it but it says gives me the "File In Use" mssg
> box. I've tried running safe mode and deleting and still doesn't work. Also,
> I tried from the command line but it's a two word folder name and it is not
> showing the DOS name. So, if I try to erase it from the command prompt, it
> gives me the "The system cannot find the file specified"
>
> Thanks,
> Chris.

epwjr

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> You're welcome!
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Chris82" <Chris82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5687D7D7-8641-4C36-98F8-E09933E47BA4@microsoft.com...
> Oh man...this worked flawlessly...thanks a lot man.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > Chris,
> >
> > Enclosing the folder path within double-quotes should help.
> >
> > Example:
> >
> > "C:\Some Folder\MyFile.exe"
> >
> > Or, type DIR /X to show the short file name.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
> > Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> >

> > "Chris82" <Chris82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7809FD66-2F61-4BB6-B3E2-30AD15821869@microsoft.com...
> > Hi, I'm having the same troube with a game demo I downloaded. It's an ...exe
> > file and I'm trying to delete it but it says gives me the "File In Use" mssg
> > box. I've tried running safe mode and deleting and still doesn't work. Also,
> > I tried from the command line but it's a two word folder name and it is not
> > showing the DOS name. So, if I try to erase it from the command prompt, it
> > gives me the "The system cannot find the file specified"
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chris.
> >

> HELP PLZ.....

I have an issue almost like this , and it is the closest I( have come to an
answer but not it.
I have a file in Music folder on my vista machine, the pathway is:C:/
Users/CDS USER/music/itunes/itunes/itunes music/ then lie 5 folders of
diffrent artists that are all empty. My problem is when i go to delete them
back to orginal music/itunes i get a box saying:Could not find this item,
this is no longer located in C:\Users\CDS USER\Music\iTunes. Verify the
item's location and try again. then gives me the option of trying again or
cancel????? HELP i can't get rid of this