Windows cannot find file when clicking on file?

mlsoup

Windows cannot find file when clicking on file?
I get the error message when double clicing on misc documents within my
folders that says "windows cannot find the specified file, please make sure
that you have typed the name correctly and please try again." I can open up
any document from within the application itself by going to file/open finding
the file and opening it that way.

It is extremely random though. It only happens on some of the files. It
happens on older version files (office 2003) and newer version files created
(2007). I can right mouse click the file and specify open with and open the
file with the program that it needs to run it but this is random as well.

I have reinstalled Vista (brand new) pc for the second time trying to fix
this problem and it will not go away. It is driving me crazy!

I have looked all over the web and these dicussions and nobody has ever a
succesful fix for this problem. I am not alone......

I have also unstalled and reinstalled Office 2007 three times. Also
performed repair function. Activation codes all gone now..... I have tried
everything that I have read in previous threads to no avail.
--
Thank you,
Matt Campbell
R. C. White

Re: Windows cannot find file when clicking on file?
Hi, Matt.

Is this a 'permissions" problem? Are you the Administrator? Are you logged
in as such, or as a limited user?

Have you changed the default settings to show hidden files, etc.?

Since you know the files are there, but you can't reach them from outside
Office, perhaps this is an Office problem. You might get more-focused help
in one of the many Office newsgroups.

Sorry to ask more questions than I've answered, but perhaps the answers to
these will help to narrow down your problem.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"mlsoup" <mlsoup@msn.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> I get the error message when double clicing on misc documents within my
> folders that says "windows cannot find the specified file, please make
> sure
> that you have typed the name correctly and please try again." I can open
> up
> any document from within the application itself by going to file/open
> finding
> the file and opening it that way.
>
> It is extremely random though. It only happens on some of the files. It
> happens on older version files (office 2003) and newer version files
> created
> (2007). I can right mouse click the file and specify open with and open
> the
> file with the program that it needs to run it but this is random as well.
>
> I have reinstalled Vista (brand new) pc for the second time trying to fix
> this problem and it will not go away. It is driving me crazy!
>
> I have looked all over the web and these dicussions and nobody has ever a
> succesful fix for this problem. I am not alone......
>
> I have also unstalled and reinstalled Office 2007 three times. Also
> performed repair function. Activation codes all gone now..... I have
> tried
> everything that I have read in previous threads to no avail.
> --
> Thank you,
> Matt Campbell

Jane C

Re: Windows cannot find file when clicking on file?
Does this KB article help?:

Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"mlsoup" <mlsoup@msn.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
>I get the error message when double clicing on misc documents within my
> folders that says "windows cannot find the specified file, please make
> sure
> that you have typed the name correctly and please try again." I can open
> up
> any document from within the application itself by going to file/open
> finding
> the file and opening it that way.
>
> It is extremely random though. It only happens on some of the files. It
> happens on older version files (office 2003) and newer version files
> created
> (2007). I can right mouse click the file and specify open with and open
> the
> file with the program that it needs to run it but this is random as well.
>
> I have reinstalled Vista (brand new) pc for the second time trying to fix
> this problem and it will not go away. It is driving me crazy!
>
> I have looked all over the web and these dicussions and nobody has ever a
> succesful fix for this problem. I am not alone......
>
> I have also unstalled and reinstalled Office 2007 three times. Also
> performed repair function. Activation codes all gone now..... I have
> tried
> everything that I have read in previous threads to no avail.
> --
> Thank you,
> Matt Campbell

mlsoup

Re: Windows cannot find file when clicking on file?
Thank you for replying. I have full administrative rights. I am logged in
under administrator. Do I need to change to show hidden file?

I can also open the file from file/open within the program that is need to
run it. I just can't open it by double clicking on the file and have the
program open even though it is set to be the default program to use with that
file type.

--
Thank you,
Matt Campbell

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Matt.
>
> Is this a 'permissions" problem? Are you the Administrator? Are you logged
> in as such, or as a limited user?
>
> Have you changed the default settings to show hidden files, etc.?
>
> Since you know the files are there, but you can't reach them from outside
> Office, perhaps this is an Office problem. You might get more-focused help
> in one of the many Office newsgroups.
>
> Sorry to ask more questions than I've answered, but perhaps the answers to
> these will help to narrow down your problem.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 beta v.275)
>
> "mlsoup" <mlsoup@msn.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > I get the error message when double clicing on misc documents within my
> > folders that says "windows cannot find the specified file, please make
> > sure
> > that you have typed the name correctly and please try again." I can open
> > up
> > any document from within the application itself by going to file/open
> > finding
> > the file and opening it that way.
> >
> > It is extremely random though. It only happens on some of the files. It
> > happens on older version files (office 2003) and newer version files
> > created
> > (2007). I can right mouse click the file and specify open with and open
> > the
> > file with the program that it needs to run it but this is random as well.
> >
> > I have reinstalled Vista (brand new) pc for the second time trying to fix
> > this problem and it will not go away. It is driving me crazy!
> >
> > I have looked all over the web and these dicussions and nobody has ever a
> > succesful fix for this problem. I am not alone......
> >
> > I have also unstalled and reinstalled Office 2007 three times. Also
> > performed repair function. Activation codes all gone now..... I have
> > tried
> > everything that I have read in previous threads to no avail.
> > --
> > Thank you,
> > Matt Campbell

mlsoup

Re: Windows cannot find file when clicking on file?
This does not just happen in Word. It has happened in Excel too.

thanks.

--
Thank you,
Matt Campbell

"Jane C" wrote:

> Does this KB article help?:

> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "mlsoup" <mlsoup@msn.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> >I get the error message when double clicing on misc documents within my
> > folders that says "windows cannot find the specified file, please make
> > sure
> > that you have typed the name correctly and please try again." I can open
> > up
> > any document from within the application itself by going to file/open
> > finding
> > the file and opening it that way.
> >
> > It is extremely random though. It only happens on some of the files. It
> > happens on older version files (office 2003) and newer version files
> > created
> > (2007). I can right mouse click the file and specify open with and open
> > the
> > file with the program that it needs to run it but this is random as well.
> >
> > I have reinstalled Vista (brand new) pc for the second time trying to fix
> > this problem and it will not go away. It is driving me crazy!
> >
> > I have looked all over the web and these dicussions and nobody has ever a
> > succesful fix for this problem. I am not alone......
> >
> > I have also unstalled and reinstalled Office 2007 three times. Also
> > performed repair function. Activation codes all gone now..... I have
> > tried
> > everything that I have read in previous threads to no avail.
> > --
> > Thank you,
> > Matt Campbell

mlsoup

Re: Windows cannot find file when clicking on file?
That fixed my problem. Please know that you are the first one that I have
came found that fixed it! Way to go. There are a lot of people that cant
figure this one out.

Thanks!
--
Thank you,
Matt Campbell

"Jane C" wrote:

> Does this KB article help?:

> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "mlsoup" <mlsoup@msn.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> >I get the error message when double clicing on misc documents within my
> > folders that says "windows cannot find the specified file, please make
> > sure
> > that you have typed the name correctly and please try again." I can open
> > up
> > any document from within the application itself by going to file/open
> > finding
> > the file and opening it that way.
> >
> > It is extremely random though. It only happens on some of the files. It
> > happens on older version files (office 2003) and newer version files
> > created
> > (2007). I can right mouse click the file and specify open with and open
> > the
> > file with the program that it needs to run it but this is random as well.
> >
> > I have reinstalled Vista (brand new) pc for the second time trying to fix
> > this problem and it will not go away. It is driving me crazy!
> >
> > I have looked all over the web and these dicussions and nobody has ever a
> > succesful fix for this problem. I am not alone......
> >
> > I have also unstalled and reinstalled Office 2007 three times. Also
> > performed repair function. Activation codes all gone now..... I have
> > tried
> > everything that I have read in previous threads to no avail.
> > --
> > Thank you,
> > Matt Campbell

mlsoup

Re: Windows cannot find file when clicking on file?
I spoke to soon.....

It will only open when the Word program is open in the back round. When I
close Word and trying to double click on the Word file the program says
"cannot find specified file" . I can also open the file by right mouse
clicking/open with function. For some reason when Word is not open I cannot
click on the file and open automatically with that file.

Weird. So problem is not fixed after all.

Sorry.

--
Thank you,
Matt Campbell

"mlsoup" wrote:

> That fixed my problem. Please know that you are the first one that I have
> came found that fixed it! Way to go. There are a lot of people that cant
> figure this one out.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Thank you,
> Matt Campbell
>

> "Jane C" wrote:
>
> > Does this KB article help?:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;940791
> >
> > --
> > Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> > Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
> > MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >
> > "mlsoup" <mlsoup@msn.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > >I get the error message when double clicing on misc documents within my
> > > folders that says "windows cannot find the specified file, please make
> > > sure
> > > that you have typed the name correctly and please try again." I can open
> > > up
> > > any document from within the application itself by going to file/open
> > > finding
> > > the file and opening it that way.
> > >
> > > It is extremely random though. It only happens on some of the files. It
> > > happens on older version files (office 2003) and newer version files
> > > created
> > > (2007). I can right mouse click the file and specify open with and open
> > > the
> > > file with the program that it needs to run it but this is random as well.
> > >
> > > I have reinstalled Vista (brand new) pc for the second time trying to fix
> > > this problem and it will not go away. It is driving me crazy!
> > >
> > > I have looked all over the web and these dicussions and nobody has ever a
> > > succesful fix for this problem. I am not alone......
> > >
> > > I have also unstalled and reinstalled Office 2007 three times. Also
> > > performed repair function. Activation codes all gone now..... I have
> > > tried
> > > everything that I have read in previous threads to no avail.
> > > --
> > > Thank you,
> > > Matt Campbell

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Windows cannot find file when clicking on file?
Mlsoup

Here is another article you can try.

You receive an error message when you try to open an Office document or
start Outlook:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835404

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

>I spoke to soon.....
>
> It will only open when the Word program is open in the back round. When I
> close Word and trying to double click on the Word file the program says
> "cannot find specified file" . I can also open the file by right mouse
> clicking/open with function. For some reason when Word is not open I
> cannot
> click on the file and open automatically with that file.
>
> Weird. So problem is not fixed after all.
>
> Sorry.
>

> --
> Thank you,
> Matt Campbell
>

> "mlsoup" wrote:
>
>> That fixed my problem. Please know that you are the first one that I
>> have
>> came found that fixed it! Way to go. There are a lot of people that
>> cant
>> figure this one out.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> --
>> Thank you,
>> Matt Campbell
>>

>> "Jane C" wrote:
>>
>> > Does this KB article help?:
>> >
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;940791
>> >
>> > --
>> > Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
>> > Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
>> > MVP - Windows Shell/User

cvanp

RE: Windows cannot find file when clicking on file?
Hi mlsoup,
The good news is that you are not the only one experiencing this problem.
The bad news is that I am also at a loss as to how to fix it.
I am experiencing this on a brand new PC, running Vista home premium, and
Office 2007.
When using Winows explorer, I can navigate to a file, see the whole path,
only to get an error saying the path is invalid. This happens in both Word
and Excel. Rightclicking and using "open with" launches the application as a
shell, without a document. Finding the document in my "recent documents" and
clicking them will launch the saved document without problems. The files are
visible, not hidden. Like you, I am logged on as administrator. I have tried
saving files in both .xlsx and .xls format (and .docx and .doc), and both
types give me the same problem.
Help!!!

"mlsoup" wrote:

> I get the error message when double clicing on misc documents within my
> folders that says "windows cannot find the specified file, please make sure
> that you have typed the name correctly and please try again." I can open up
> any document from within the application itself by going to file/open finding
> the file and opening it that way.
>
> It is extremely random though. It only happens on some of the files. It
> happens on older version files (office 2003) and newer version files created
> (2007). I can right mouse click the file and specify open with and open the
> file with the program that it needs to run it but this is random as well.
>
> I have reinstalled Vista (brand new) pc for the second time trying to fix
> this problem and it will not go away. It is driving me crazy!
>
> I have looked all over the web and these dicussions and nobody has ever a
> succesful fix for this problem. I am not alone......
>
> I have also unstalled and reinstalled Office 2007 three times. Also
> performed repair function. Activation codes all gone now..... I have tried
> everything that I have read in previous threads to no avail.
> --
> Thank you,
> Matt Campbell

mlsoup

Re: Windows cannot find file when clicking on file?
Here is the latest. Now when I double click on the file it launches the
application that I need to run the program and gives me the error message
"windows cannot find the specified file, make sure you typed the name
correctly and try again"

With the application shell open in the backround I can then double click on
the file again and it will open up just fine.

I don't understand why this is happening and want to get by the error
message and have the applicaton open like it should without any error
messages.

Please help..... Thanks.

--
Thank you,