How can I preserve creation date in a Copy?

John

How can I preserve creation date in a Copy?
I'm copying files from my old disk to my new Vista disk. How do I preserve
the Creation Date that was on the original files.

When I did this going from Win98 to WinME, it worked fine, but not from
WinME to Vista, which sets the Creation Date to today's date, which isn't
true.

John

Donald Lessau

Re: How can I preserve creation date in a Copy?
"John" <John@TheStewartWeb.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I'm copying files from my old disk to my new Vista disk. How do I
> preserve the Creation Date that was on the original files.
>
> When I did this going from Win98 to WinME, it worked fine, but not from
> WinME to Vista, which sets the Creation Date to today's date, which isn't
> true.

Since nobody answers: XYplorer file manager can preserve the Creation Date.
But note: this feature will only be present in the coming up version 6.40!

http://www.xyplorer.com/ (not freeware, but 30-day free trial)

Don

Richard Urban

Re: How can I preserve creation date in a Copy?
Total Commander (File Manager Program) will allow you to keep the original
creation dates - if YOU choose the option among it hundreds of user
selectable preferences. By default, "it" also uses the current date when
transferring files/folders.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"John" <John@TheStewartWeb.com> wrote in message
> I'm copying files from my old disk to my new Vista disk. How do I
> preserve the Creation Date that was on the original files.
>
> When I did this going from Win98 to WinME, it worked fine, but not from
> WinME to Vista, which sets the Creation Date to today's date, which isn't
> true.
>
> John

John

Re: How can I preserve creation date in a Copy?
I eventually found out that I needed to set the Vista Date to Date, not Date
Modified, which was apparently the default.

John