Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

b/u vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2007
joblow
 

Posts: n/a
b/u vista
bougght acer aspinre laptop. it seeems not to have Vista CD.

how do i make a backup copy of Windows Vista. bear in mind i don't have any
Pdt. Key as no Vista media was included in box.

BTW: is this SOP or should i be looking for Vista CD with computer?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2007
Ronnie Vernon MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: b/u vista
Most computer manufacturers who pre-install Windows do not include an
installation DVD. Some will include a recovery DVD that will reset the
system back to the state it was in when you purchased the PC.

Some manufacturers will install a hidden partition on the hard drive that
can be used to recover the system, but this works just like the recovery DVD
and will just reset the system back to the state it was in when you
purchased the system. Your computer manual should explain what type of
recovery options are included with the system.

The product key should be on a sticker attached to the bottom of the laptop.

Depending on the version of Vista that you purchased, there are backup
programs included that you can use. Go to Start/All
Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Backup status and configuration to see
what optins you have.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User


"joblow" <joblow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1D7E8CE2-DAFC-42E5-A600-A93FDB83501D@microsoft.com...
> bougght acer aspinre laptop. it seeems not to have Vista CD.
>
> how do i make a backup copy of Windows Vista. bear in mind i don't have
> any
> Pdt. Key as no Vista media was included in box.
>
> BTW: is this SOP or should i be looking for Vista CD with computer?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2007
Ken Blake, MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: b/u vista
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:24:01 -0700, joblow
<joblow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> bougght acer aspinre laptop. it seeems not to have Vista CD.
>
> how do i make a backup copy of Windows Vista. bear in mind i don't have any
> Pdt. Key as no Vista media was included in box.
>
> BTW: is this SOP or should i be looking for Vista CD with computer?




OEM vendors are required by their agreement with Microsoft to give you
a means of reinstalling, should it be necessary. They can do this in
one of three ways:

1. An OEM copy of Windows
2. A restore CD
3. A hidden partition on your drive, with restore information.

If you don't have 1 or 2, you should have 3, but you should contact
your vendor to find out.

Personally, I find both 2 and 3 unacceptable (especially 3; a hard
drive crash can leave you with nothing), and would never choose to buy
a computer that came with an operating system unless I got a complete
generic installation CD for that operating system.

As far as how to create a CD (or whether you even can), unless someone
else here knows exactly what Acer provides (I don't), you should ask
Acer.

--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2007
joblow
 

Posts: n/a
Re: b/u vista
i know this is probably like starbucks calling a small coffee, large, but
what is difference between OEM windows vista and recovery or restore cd?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2007
joblow
 

Posts: n/a
Re: b/u vista
nfortunately there is no docs with acer aspire.

so i open "backup satus and configuration" and yo can clik to box that ask you
'which disks do yo want to include in backup?'

choices are

Acer(c)system)
or
Data(D)

it will not let me choose acer (c)system)


what do i do next?

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2007
occam
 

Posts: n/a
Re: b/u vista
Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:24:01 -0700, joblow
> <joblow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> bougght acer aspinre laptop. it seeems not to have Vista CD.
>>
>> how do i make a backup copy of Windows Vista. bear in mind i don't have any
>> Pdt. Key as no Vista media was included in box.
>>
>> BTW: is this SOP or should i be looking for Vista CD with computer?

>
>
>
> OEM vendors are required by their agreement with Microsoft to give you
> a means of reinstalling, should it be necessary. They can do this in
> one of three ways:
>
> 1. An OEM copy of Windows
> 2. A restore CD
> 3. A hidden partition on your drive, with restore information.
>
> If you don't have 1 or 2, you should have 3, but you should contact
> your vendor to find out.


>
> Personally, I find both 2 and 3 unacceptable (especially 3; a hard
> drive crash can leave you with nothing), and would never choose to buy
> a computer that came with an operating system unless I got a complete
> generic installation CD for that operating system.
>
> As far as how to create a CD (or whether you even can), unless someone
> else here knows exactly what Acer provides (I don't), you should ask
> Acer.
>


joblow, I made the same mistake and bought an Acer recently. The
salesman assured me that on bootup, I would be given one (and only one)
chance of creating a 'Vista Business' CD.

I got no such option.

As Ken says, there is a hidden partition on the drive (see at the
'eRecovery' tool) which allows you to restore the factory image of the
OS. (I also find this a pathetic option, even if you are able to back it
up onto a CD.)

When I asked ACER Europe (where I am) about the promised 'Vista CD' I
got a bland 'Use the eRecovery facilities provided' answer.

Never Acer again.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2007
peter
 

Posts: n/a
Re: b/u vista
You should have a Empoweing Technology Icon on your desktop....by opening
this and going to the Erecovery section you will see the various options for
creating a backup disk....setting up a F key recovery at start up.....the
ability to reinstall specific programs or everything.On Your C drives you
should also have a directory called BOOK in which you will find the manual
in .pdf format which explains all of the options available under Empowering
Technology

I personally used Acronis True Image and imaged my HD to an external HD and
made an Acronis Emergency recovery disk which does not need the OS in order
to place that image back.
peter
"joblow" <joblow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0E95453E-DCE4-46FB-AD71-09CEE8ADC844@microsoft.com...
> nfortunately there is no docs with acer aspire.
>
> so i open "backup satus and configuration" and yo can clik to box that ask
> you
> 'which disks do yo want to include in backup?'
>
> choices are
>
> Acer(c)system)
> or
> Data(D)
>
> it will not let me choose acer (c)system)
>
>
> what do i do next?
>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2007
joblow
 

Posts: n/a
Re: b/u vista
thanks all ..i will try my best to folow thess directions.

but i agree with ken,,,,

no acer ever again......

way to go acer,,,,,making computing MORE dificult
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:14.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120