How to solve error 0x80070299

Bas

How to solve error 0x80070299
Hi there ,

I'm downloading a 4.20 GB large ISO file
but when I'm around 27% i get a 0x80070299 the requested operation could not
be completed due to a file system limitation error
I have tried to download it on my first HD and then on my ex-stern hard
disk, Both NTFS
I'm running windows vista home, and I've changed the HD permissions of all
users to full control
I searched on Google and on Microsoft.com but there is no similar topic to
this problem also the KB ain't having any solution nor it even knows this
error code

Could someone help me with this problem?
the requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation

Thanks in advance

-bas
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: How to solve error 0x80070299
Hello,
Have you tried copying the file from a cmd prompt as opposed to inside the
GUI?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|> From: =?Utf-8?B?QmFz?= <Bas@discussions.microsoft.com>
|> Subject: How to solve error 0x80070299
|> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:01:03 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
|>
|> Hi there ,
|>
|> I'm downloading a 4.20 GB large ISO file
|> but when I'm around 27% i get a 0x80070299 the requested operation could
not
|> be completed due to a file system limitation error
|> I have tried to download it on my first HD and then on my ex-stern hard
|> disk, Both NTFS
|> I'm running windows vista home, and I've changed the HD permissions of
all
|> users to full control
|> I searched on Google and on Microsoft.com but there is no similar topic
|> this problem also the KB ain't having any solution nor it even knows
this
|> error code
|>
|> Could someone help me with this problem?
|> the requested operation could not be completed due to a file system
limitation

|> Thanks in advance
|>
|> -bas

Bas

RE: How to solve error 0x80070299
well i cant even download the file, but when i try coping the tmp file i get
the same error same if i do it thru cmd

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hello,
> Have you tried copying the file from a cmd prompt as opposed to inside the
> GUI?
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> |> From: =?Utf-8?B?QmFz?= <Bas@discussions.microsoft.com>
> |> Subject: How to solve error 0x80070299
> |> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:01:03 -0700
> |> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
> |>
> |> Hi there ,
> |>
> |> I'm downloading a 4.20 GB large ISO file
> |> but when I'm around 27% i get a 0x80070299 the requested operation could
> not
> |> be completed due to a file system limitation error
> |> I have tried to download it on my first HD and then on my ex-stern hard
> |> disk, Both NTFS
> |> I'm running windows vista home, and I've changed the HD permissions of
> all
> |> users to full control
> |> I searched on Google and on Microsoft.com but there is no similar topic
> |> this problem also the KB ain't having any solution nor it even knows
> this
> |> error code
> |>
> |> Could someone help me with this problem?
> |> the requested operation could not be completed due to a file system
> limitation
> |>
> |> Thanks in advance
> |>
> |> -bas

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: How to solve error 0x80070299
Hello,
Run chkdsk on the system.
Also run cleanmgr to clean up the temp folders.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|> From: =?Utf-8?B?QmFz?= <Bas@discussions.microsoft.com>
|> Subject: RE: How to solve error 0x80070299
|> Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 05:55:01 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
|>
|> well i cant even download the file, but when i try coping the tmp file i
get
|> the same error same if i do it thru cmd
|>
|> ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
|>
|> > Hello,
|> > Have you tried copying the file from a cmd prompt as opposed to inside
the
|> > GUI?
|> > Thanks,
|> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|> >
|> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|> > --------------------

|> > not
|> > all
|> > this

|> > limitation

Bas

RE: How to solve error 0x80070299
did both but no changes, i think there is some setting witch blocks files if
they get a certain file size
and i need to change that (but i dunno where and how)
-bas

korv@n_o_spam.com

Re: How to solve error 0x80070299
Hello,

Internet explorer will save the file to the users profile directory
FIRST, before it moves it over to the location you chose when you did
a save as.

If your certain theres enough space on the disk where your
user profile directory resides, you can always try firefox. It copies
files directly to the location you specified.

I had a similar problem when downloading evaluation ISO's from
Microsoft. Though there was no error code reported that I noticed.

Cheers
Peter

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 23:27:00 -0700, Bas <Bas@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>did both but no changes, i think there is some setting witch blocks files if
>they get a certain file size
>and i need to change that (but i dunno where and how)
>-bas
>""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> Run chkdsk on the system.
>> Also run cleanmgr to clean up the temp folders.
>> Thanks,
>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
>>
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
>> --------------------

>> get

>> the

>> rights

>> could
>> hard
>> of
>> topic
>> knows

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: How to solve error 0x80070299
Hello,
Is there any chance the volume is compressed?
How much free space is on each volume you are attempting to download to?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]