Deleting shadow copies ?

Blue Max

Deleting shadow copies ?
We are trying to shrink a partition on a brand new computer with 1TB of
space (2 x 500GB RAID-0). The hard disks came partitioned as only one drive
(C. However, when we attempt to shrink the drive it will only let us
shrink the drive to about 400GB, even though the disk is barely used (only
20 GB used). The 'Disk Management' help ndicates that this can be due to
the fact that the unmovable Windows Vista page file is limiting how much we
can shrink the partition. To overcome this problem the help suggests we
move the page file to another disk, delete the stored shadow copies, and
move the page file back to the original drive.

Unfortunately, there are no detailed instructions on how to accomplish these
tasks. We have found that the 'Advanced System Settings' in the computer
'Properties' dialog, appears to have options for allowing us to move the
page files to another disk, but how do we manually identify and delete any
stored shadow copies?

For your convenience here is a quote of the help section:

Additional considerations

When you shrink a partition, unmovable files (for example, the page file or
the shadow copy storage area) are not automatically relocated and you can
not decrease the allocated space beyond the point where the unmovable files
are located. If you need to shrink the partition further, move the page file
to another disk, delete the stored shadow copies, shrink the volume, and
then move the page file back to the disk.

brink

Re: Deleting shadow copies ?

Blue Max;463463 Wrote:
> We are trying to shrink a partition on a brand new computer with 1TB of
> space (2 x 500GB RAID-0). The hard disks came partitioned as only one
> drive
> (C. However, when we attempt to shrink the drive it will only let us
> shrink the drive to about 400GB, even though the disk is barely used
> (only
> 20 GB used). The 'Disk Management' help ndicates that this can be due
> the fact that the unmovable Windows Vista page file is limiting how
> much we
> can shrink the partition. To overcome this problem the help suggests we
> move the page file to another disk, delete the stored shadow copies,
> and
> move the page file back to the original drive.
>
> Unfortunately, there are no detailed instructions on how to accomplish
> these
> tasks. We have found that the 'Advanced System Settings' in the
> computer
> 'Properties' dialog, appears to have options for allowing us to move
> the
> page files to another disk, but how do we manually identify and delete
> any
> stored shadow copies?
>

> For your convenience here is a quote of the help section:
>
> Additional considerations
>
> When you shrink a partition, unmovable files (for example, the page
> file or
> the shadow copy storage area) are not automatically relocated and you
> can
> not decrease the allocated space beyond the point where the unmovable
> files
> are located. If you need to shrink the partition further, move the page
> file
> to another disk, delete the stored shadow copies, shrink the volume,
> and
> then move the page file back to the disk.

Hi Blue Max,

This tutorial will show you how to adjust the shadow copy (System
Restore) allocated size.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...isk-space.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
JerryM

Re: Deleting shadow copies ?
Hi, Blue Max,

The first thing to do is a disk cleanup,
Double click Computer,
Right click your hard drive and Properties,
Select disk cleanup,
Click Files from all users on this computer,
Click the More Options tab,
Under System Restore and Shadow Copies,
Click Cleanup.

Come back for More,
Jerry

"Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com> wrote in message
> We are trying to shrink a partition on a brand new computer with 1TB of
> space (2 x 500GB RAID-0). The hard disks came partitioned as only one
> drive (C. However, when we attempt to shrink the drive it will only let
> us shrink the drive to about 400GB, even though the disk is barely used
> (only 20 GB used). The 'Disk Management' help ndicates that this can be
> due to the fact that the unmovable Windows Vista page file is limiting how
> much we can shrink the partition. To overcome this problem the help
> suggests we move the page file to another disk, delete the stored shadow
> copies, and move the page file back to the original drive.
>
> Unfortunately, there are no detailed instructions on how to accomplish
> these tasks. We have found that the 'Advanced System Settings' in the
> computer 'Properties' dialog, appears to have options for allowing us to
> move the page files to another disk, but how do we manually identify and
> delete any stored shadow copies?
>

> For your convenience here is a quote of the help section:
>
> Additional considerations
>
> When you shrink a partition, unmovable files (for example, the page file
> or the shadow copy storage area) are not automatically relocated and you
> can not decrease the allocated space beyond the point where the unmovable
> files are located. If you need to shrink the partition further, move the
> page file to another disk, delete the stored shadow copies, shrink the
> volume, and then move the page file back to the disk.

Blue Max

Re: Deleting shadow copies ?
Thank you Jerry, that was most helpful.