Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Saving documents/files

microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-25-2007
kmathrn
 

Posts: n/a
Saving documents/files
I have been saving things on my computer to specified files forever. All of
a sudden, everything I try to save is going to this stupid eml file instead
of the folder I specify it to. What the heck can I do? This is frustrating
the heck out of me. I can no longer save anything where I want it.
Help!!!!!!!

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2007
R. C. White
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Saving documents/files
Hi, kmathrn.

Now that you've got the frustration out, how about a clearer explanation of
what you are trying to do. And, step by step, HOW you are trying to do it.

An .eml file is normally an email message. WLM, for example, stores each
message that arrives in your Inbox as a separate .eml file, using a name
that WLM generates. For example, a recent message in my Inbox is named:
0BB32EA6-0000033E.eml

HOW are you trying to save your file? Are you running WLM at the time? Or
Windows Explorer? Or Microsoft Excel? Or what?

What is the name of your "stupid eml file"? Perhaps that would give us a
clue. And WHERE are you trying to save your file? Some folders, such as
C:\Program Files, are restricted by Vista because we are not normally
supposed to save anything there.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 beta v.275)

"kmathrn" <kmathrn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C3048C36-8FAA-4B8F-A372-4204EE846101@microsoft.com...
> I have been saving things on my computer to specified files forever. All
> of
> a sudden, everything I try to save is going to this stupid eml file
> instead
> of the folder I specify it to. What the heck can I do? This is
> frustrating
> the heck out of me. I can no longer save anything where I want it.
> Help!!!!!!!


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2007
kmathrn
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Saving documents/files
I made a folder under my program files called recipes. I have emailed myself
recipes in the past and saved them to this folder. There was a glitch in the
windows mail, I don't remember what happened, as so many glitches have
occurred with this program, and after that I cannot save anything where I
want it. I have even tried to save a word document and it goes to whatever
*eml is. I quit using windows mail and went to microsoft outlook since. At
the time, I only had maybe my email program running and internet explorer.
Nothing else. If I can no longer save recipes under my folder titled
"recipes", where and how can I make another folder to continue doing this?
Is there anyway to uninstall windows mail or get rid of this *eml file?
Thanks
"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, kmathrn.
>
> Now that you've got the frustration out, how about a clearer explanation of
> what you are trying to do. And, step by step, HOW you are trying to do it.
>
> An .eml file is normally an email message. WLM, for example, stores each
> message that arrives in your Inbox as a separate .eml file, using a name
> that WLM generates. For example, a recent message in my Inbox is named:
> 0BB32EA6-0000033E.eml
>
> HOW are you trying to save your file? Are you running WLM at the time? Or
> Windows Explorer? Or Microsoft Excel? Or what?
>
> What is the name of your "stupid eml file"? Perhaps that would give us a
> clue. And WHERE are you trying to save your file? Some folders, such as
> C:\Program Files, are restricted by Vista because we are not normally
> supposed to save anything there.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 beta v.275)
>
> "kmathrn" <kmathrn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:C3048C36-8FAA-4B8F-A372-4204EE846101@microsoft.com...
> > I have been saving things on my computer to specified files forever. All
> > of
> > a sudden, everything I try to save is going to this stupid eml file
> > instead
> > of the folder I specify it to. What the heck can I do? This is
> > frustrating
> > the heck out of me. I can no longer save anything where I want it.
> > Help!!!!!!!

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2007
R. C. White
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Saving documents/files
Hi, kmathrn.

> I made a folder under my program files called recipes.


Aha! Problem identified!

In Vista, C:\Program Files is a special folder and we normally can't create
any subfolders under it. The exception, of course, is installation of an
application, but that requires Administrator privileges. Microsoft did not
intend for this special folder to be used except for application files, even
in Win2K and WinXP, but Vista has added UAC (User Access Control) to enforce
the rule.

You CAN, if you insist, put your recipe folder there (with Administrator
credentials), but a much better strategy is to create that subfolder under
C:\Users\kmathrn (or whatever your User name is), probably as a subfolder
under Documents: C:\Users\kmathrn\Documents\Recipes

There are many places to read about UAC. Here's an official version that
tells more than most of us want to know:
User Account Control Overview
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../aa906021.aspx

The reason that your saved recipe files have the .eml extension, of course,
is because you saved the email message, rather than just the text contents
of that message. That has advantages and disadvantages. When you click on
that recipe.eml file, Vista recognizes it as an email message and tries to
treat it as such. So when you click on it, Vista starts your default email
program and displays the recipe in that format. There are several ways to
convert the file's contents into a Word .doc file or a simple .txt file or
other format. If you change the format and the extension, you will have
much more flexibility in your choice of where to put it and how to deal with
it.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 beta v.275)

"kmathrn" <kmathrn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2652D2D4-2F65-44FD-90C0-A74141C77F3E@microsoft.com...
> I made a folder under my program files called recipes. I have emailed
> myself
> recipes in the past and saved them to this folder. There was a glitch in
> the
> windows mail, I don't remember what happened, as so many glitches have
> occurred with this program, and after that I cannot save anything where I
> want it. I have even tried to save a word document and it goes to
> whatever
> *eml is. I quit using windows mail and went to microsoft outlook since.
> At
> the time, I only had maybe my email program running and internet explorer.
> Nothing else. If I can no longer save recipes under my folder titled
> "recipes", where and how can I make another folder to continue doing this?
> Is there anyway to uninstall windows mail or get rid of this *eml file?
> Thanks
> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
>> Hi, kmathrn.
>>
>> Now that you've got the frustration out, how about a clearer explanation
>> of
>> what you are trying to do. And, step by step, HOW you are trying to do
>> it.
>>
>> An .eml file is normally an email message. WLM, for example, stores each
>> message that arrives in your Inbox as a separate .eml file, using a name
>> that WLM generates. For example, a recent message in my Inbox is named:
>> 0BB32EA6-0000033E.eml
>>
>> HOW are you trying to save your file? Are you running WLM at the time?
>> Or
>> Windows Explorer? Or Microsoft Excel? Or what?
>>
>> What is the name of your "stupid eml file"? Perhaps that would give us a
>> clue. And WHERE are you trying to save your file? Some folders, such as
>> C:\Program Files, are restricted by Vista because we are not normally
>> supposed to save anything there.
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "kmathrn" <kmathrn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:C3048C36-8FAA-4B8F-A372-4204EE846101@microsoft.com...
>> > I have been saving things on my computer to specified files forever.
>> > All
>> > of
>> > a sudden, everything I try to save is going to this stupid eml file
>> > instead
>> > of the folder I specify it to. What the heck can I do? This is
>> > frustrating
>> > the heck out of me. I can no longer save anything where I want it.
>> > Help!!!!!!!


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2007
kmathrn
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Saving documents/files
I'm not sure how to change a format or ext, so I guess the easy way would be
to copy and paste to a word document and save it that way. Would you agree?
By the way, I did this under XP and when I got my new computer, I just moved
it. I have several other folders I created, so I guess I need to try and
move them all. Thanks for all your help.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, kmathrn.
>
> > I made a folder under my program files called recipes.

>
> Aha! Problem identified!
>
> In Vista, C:\Program Files is a special folder and we normally can't create
> any subfolders under it. The exception, of course, is installation of an
> application, but that requires Administrator privileges. Microsoft did not
> intend for this special folder to be used except for application files, even
> in Win2K and WinXP, but Vista has added UAC (User Access Control) to enforce
> the rule.
>
> You CAN, if you insist, put your recipe folder there (with Administrator
> credentials), but a much better strategy is to create that subfolder under
> C:\Users\kmathrn (or whatever your User name is), probably as a subfolder
> under Documents: C:\Users\kmathrn\Documents\Recipes
>
> There are many places to read about UAC. Here's an official version that
> tells more than most of us want to know:
> User Account Control Overview
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../aa906021.aspx
>
> The reason that your saved recipe files have the .eml extension, of course,
> is because you saved the email message, rather than just the text contents
> of that message. That has advantages and disadvantages. When you click on
> that recipe.eml file, Vista recognizes it as an email message and tries to
> treat it as such. So when you click on it, Vista starts your default email
> program and displays the recipe in that format. There are several ways to
> convert the file's contents into a Word .doc file or a simple .txt file or
> other format. If you change the format and the extension, you will have
> much more flexibility in your choice of where to put it and how to deal with
> it.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 beta v.275)
>
> "kmathrn" <kmathrn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:2652D2D4-2F65-44FD-90C0-A74141C77F3E@microsoft.com...
> > I made a folder under my program files called recipes. I have emailed
> > myself
> > recipes in the past and saved them to this folder. There was a glitch in
> > the
> > windows mail, I don't remember what happened, as so many glitches have
> > occurred with this program, and after that I cannot save anything where I
> > want it. I have even tried to save a word document and it goes to
> > whatever
> > *eml is. I quit using windows mail and went to microsoft outlook since.
> > At
> > the time, I only had maybe my email program running and internet explorer.
> > Nothing else. If I can no longer save recipes under my folder titled
> > "recipes", where and how can I make another folder to continue doing this?
> > Is there anyway to uninstall windows mail or get rid of this *eml file?
> > Thanks
> > "R. C. White" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, kmathrn.
> >>
> >> Now that you've got the frustration out, how about a clearer explanation
> >> of
> >> what you are trying to do. And, step by step, HOW you are trying to do
> >> it.
> >>
> >> An .eml file is normally an email message. WLM, for example, stores each
> >> message that arrives in your Inbox as a separate .eml file, using a name
> >> that WLM generates. For example, a recent message in my Inbox is named:
> >> 0BB32EA6-0000033E.eml
> >>
> >> HOW are you trying to save your file? Are you running WLM at the time?
> >> Or
> >> Windows Explorer? Or Microsoft Excel? Or what?
> >>
> >> What is the name of your "stupid eml file"? Perhaps that would give us a
> >> clue. And WHERE are you trying to save your file? Some folders, such as
> >> C:\Program Files, are restricted by Vista because we are not normally
> >> supposed to save anything there.
> >>
> >> RC
> >>
> >> "kmathrn" <kmathrn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:C3048C36-8FAA-4B8F-A372-4204EE846101@microsoft.com...
> >> > I have been saving things on my computer to specified files forever.
> >> > All
> >> > of
> >> > a sudden, everything I try to save is going to this stupid eml file
> >> > instead
> >> > of the folder I specify it to. What the heck can I do? This is
> >> > frustrating
> >> > the heck out of me. I can no longer save anything where I want it.
> >> > Help!!!!!!!

>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2007
R. C. White
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Saving documents/files
Hi, kmathrn.

Yes, pasting them into Word would let you save them as .doc files. If they
are plain text (and most emails are), you could paste them into Notepad and
save them as .txt files. There are many possibilities. ;<)

The main point in this case is to (a) change them from .eml files into
something more "generic" so that other programs can work with them, and (b)
keep them out of the restricted Program Files folder.

Good luck with your project. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 beta v.275)

"kmathrn" <kmathrn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0F89241A-C752-4791-9348-8E6AE51CE3E7@microsoft.com...
> I'm not sure how to change a format or ext, so I guess the easy way would
> be
> to copy and paste to a word document and save it that way. Would you
> agree?
> By the way, I did this under XP and when I got my new computer, I just
> moved
> it. I have several other folders I created, so I guess I need to try and
> move them all. Thanks for all your help.
>
> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
>> Hi, kmathrn.
>>
>> > I made a folder under my program files called recipes.

>>
>> Aha! Problem identified!
>>
>> In Vista, C:\Program Files is a special folder and we normally can't
>> create
>> any subfolders under it. The exception, of course, is installation of an
>> application, but that requires Administrator privileges. Microsoft did
>> not
>> intend for this special folder to be used except for application files,
>> even
>> in Win2K and WinXP, but Vista has added UAC (User Access Control) to
>> enforce
>> the rule.
>>
>> You CAN, if you insist, put your recipe folder there (with Administrator
>> credentials), but a much better strategy is to create that subfolder
>> under
>> C:\Users\kmathrn (or whatever your User name is), probably as a subfolder
>> under Documents: C:\Users\kmathrn\Documents\Recipes
>>
>> There are many places to read about UAC. Here's an official version that
>> tells more than most of us want to know:
>> User Account Control Overview
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../aa906021.aspx
>>
>> The reason that your saved recipe files have the .eml extension, of
>> course,
>> is because you saved the email message, rather than just the text
>> contents
>> of that message. That has advantages and disadvantages. When you click
>> on
>> that recipe.eml file, Vista recognizes it as an email message and tries
>> to
>> treat it as such. So when you click on it, Vista starts your default
>> email
>> program and displays the recipe in that format. There are several ways
>> to
>> convert the file's contents into a Word .doc file or a simple .txt file
>> or
>> other format. If you change the format and the extension, you will have
>> much more flexibility in your choice of where to put it and how to deal
>> with
>> it.
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "kmathrn" <kmathrn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:2652D2D4-2F65-44FD-90C0-A74141C77F3E@microsoft.com...
>> > I made a folder under my program files called recipes. I have emailed
>> > myself
>> > recipes in the past and saved them to this folder. There was a glitch
>> > in
>> > the
>> > windows mail, I don't remember what happened, as so many glitches have
>> > occurred with this program, and after that I cannot save anything where
>> > I
>> > want it. I have even tried to save a word document and it goes to
>> > whatever
>> > *eml is. I quit using windows mail and went to microsoft outlook
>> > since.
>> > At
>> > the time, I only had maybe my email program running and internet
>> > explorer.
>> > Nothing else. If I can no longer save recipes under my folder titled
>> > "recipes", where and how can I make another folder to continue doing
>> > this?
>> > Is there anyway to uninstall windows mail or get rid of this *eml file?
>> > Thanks
>> > "R. C. White" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi, kmathrn.
>> >>
>> >> Now that you've got the frustration out, how about a clearer
>> >> explanation
>> >> of
>> >> what you are trying to do. And, step by step, HOW you are trying to
>> >> do
>> >> it.
>> >>
>> >> An .eml file is normally an email message. WLM, for example, stores
>> >> each
>> >> message that arrives in your Inbox as a separate .eml file, using a
>> >> name
>> >> that WLM generates. For example, a recent message in my Inbox is
>> >> named:
>> >> 0BB32EA6-0000033E.eml
>> >>
>> >> HOW are you trying to save your file? Are you running WLM at the
>> >> time?
>> >> Or
>> >> Windows Explorer? Or Microsoft Excel? Or what?
>> >>
>> >> What is the name of your "stupid eml file"? Perhaps that would give
>> >> us a
>> >> clue. And WHERE are you trying to save your file? Some folders, such
>> >> as
>> >> C:\Program Files, are restricted by Vista because we are not normally
>> >> supposed to save anything there.
>> >>
>> >> RC
>> >>
>> >> "kmathrn" <kmathrn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:C3048C36-8FAA-4B8F-A372-4204EE846101@microsoft.com...
>> >> > I have been saving things on my computer to specified files forever.
>> >> > All
>> >> > of
>> >> > a sudden, everything I try to save is going to this stupid eml file
>> >> > instead
>> >> > of the folder I specify it to. What the heck can I do? This is
>> >> > frustrating
>> >> > the heck out of me. I can no longer save anything where I want it.
>> >> > Help!!!!!!!


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing and Saving Files =?Utf-8?B?V2VzbGV5?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 3 10-19-2007 20:41
Saving Documents, emails, etc kmathrn microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 09-25-2007 01:26
Saving image from web page to documents Heather microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 08-17-2007 16:50
Saving scanned documents in a PDF format. =?Utf-8?B?YmM=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 0 04-20-2007 01:42
Navigation When Saving Files, and Opening mht files from Browser pj microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 2 03-19-2007 00:58




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:26.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120