Set default search beheviour

Dave21

Set default search beheviour
Hi.

I'm having problems getting Windows Vista's search function to behave in the
same way as a Windows Classic Search/Windows 2000 Search by default.

From the start orb, if you click search, it brings up the search window.
Searching for a file (For example, winamp.ini - The file I was looking for
when I ran into this problem) kicks off a search in Indexed, visible areas,
not always finding what I'm looking for (In this case, I eventually found the
silently redirected winamp.ini file in the AppData folder causing the
problems)

If I click Advanced search, I have the option to change the search location
to Local Hard Disks, and tick the Include non-indexed, hidden, and system
files box.

However, these settings seem to only be saved for that session: Next time I
close and open the search window, I have to select those options again.

How can I turn these options on for every search by default?

Additional configuration:

Under Search > Advance Search > Search Tools > Search Options, I have the
following options:

What to search: Always Search File Names Only
How To Search: Include subfolders when typing in the search box
Find Partial Matches
When Searching Non-indexed Locations
Include system directories
Include Compressed Files (ZIP, CAB...)

Under Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View, I have the following

Show Hidden Files and folders: Selected
Hide extensions for known file types: Unticked
Hide Protected Operating system files: Unticked

I've seen the save search button under advanced search, but this looks to
save a search folder based on those search parameters, instead of change the
default behaviour

Thanks for reading.
brink

Re: Set default search beheviour

Dave21;462723 Wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm having problems getting Windows Vista's search function to behave
> in the
> same way as a Windows Classic Search/Windows 2000 Search by default.
>
> From the start orb, if you click search, it brings up the search
> window.
> Searching for a file (For example, winamp.ini - The file I was looking
> for
> when I ran into this problem) kicks off a search in Indexed, visible
> areas,
> not always finding what I'm looking for (In this case, I eventually
> found the
> silently redirected winamp.ini file in the AppData folder causing the
> problems)
>
> If I click Advanced search, I have the option to change the search
> location
> to Local Hard Disks, and tick the Include non-indexed, hidden, and
> system
> files box.
>
> However, these settings seem to only be saved for that session: Next
> time I
> close and open the search window, I have to select those options again.
>
> How can I turn these options on for every search by default?
>

> Additional configuration:
>
> Under Search > Advance Search > Search Tools > Search Options, I have
> the
> following options:
>
> What to search: Always Search File Names Only
> How To Search: Include subfolders when typing in the search box
> Find Partial Matches
> When Searching Non-indexed Locations
> Include system directories
> Include Compressed Files (ZIP, CAB...)
>
> Under Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View, I have the
> following
>
> Show Hidden Files and folders: Selected
> Hide extensions for known file types: Unticked
> Hide Protected Operating system files: Unticked
>
> I've seen the save search button under advanced search, but this looks
> save a search folder based on those search parameters, instead of
> change the
> default behaviour
>
> Thanks for reading.

Hi Dave,

You can disable the Search Index to allow Vista to use the non-index
search by default. This tutorial will show you how.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69...e-disable.html

Shawn

--
brink