Finding multiple file extensions

Fimble

Finding multiple file extensions
I'm using Vista and am unable to figure out how to find a set of files that
have certain file extensions. In XP, I would search a folder and type:

*.exe;*.txt;*.whatever

to find all files with those extensions in a folder. How do I do this in
Vista?

Thanks for the help!
Dave Wood [MS]

Re: Finding multiple file extensions
You are looking for files that are either .exe, or .txt etc? Use the OR
keyword {in capitals} to search for files matching any one term in the
search box:

*.exe OR *.txt OR *.whatever

"Fimble" <Fimble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Vista and am unable to figure out how to find a set of files
> that
> have certain file extensions. In XP, I would search a folder and type:
>
> *.exe;*.txt;*.whatever
>
> to find all files with those extensions in a folder. How do I do this in
> Vista?
>
> Thanks for the help!

Fimble

Re: Finding multiple file extensions
Thanks!

KeithHoward is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Searching for *.xls but not *.xlsx files in Explorer
When you search for *.xls, you also get *.xlsx files. This is not the end of the world, because you can sort by the Type column and easily view a list of all *.xls files. However, if you have hundreds of thousands of both, it would be helpful just to see the *.xls files.

Is this possible?
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Finding multiple file extensions
in the Search box, use:

="*.xls"

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

"KeithHoward" <KeithHoward.367tc7@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:KeithHoward.367tc7@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> When you search for *.xls, you also get *.xlsx files. This is not the
> end of the world, because you can sort by the Type column and easily
> view a list of all *.xls files. However, if you have hundreds of
> thousands of both, it would be helpful just to see the *.xls files.
>
> Is this possible?
>

> --
> KeithHoward

KeithHoward is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller \(MVP\) View Post
in the Search box, use:

="*.xls"

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

"KeithHoward" <KeithHoward.367tc7@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:KeithHoward.367tc7@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> When you search for *.xls, you also get *.xlsx files. This is not the
> end of the world, because you can sort by the Type column and easily
> view a list of all *.xls files. However, if you have hundreds of
> thousands of both, it would be helpful just to see the *.xls files.
>
> Is this possible?
>

> --
> KeithHoward

Sweet. Thank you Keith.

- Keith

P.S. Is there a documentation link on these neat little tricks like = and OR? All the best.
Malke

KeithHoward wrote:

> P.S. Is there a documentation link on these neat little tricks like =
> and OR? All the best.

Take your choice:

The magic word is "Boolean".

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers

KeithHoward is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malke View Post
KeithHoward wrote:

> P.S. Is there a documentation link on these neat little tricks like =
> and OR? All the best.

Take your choice:
boolean search - Google Search

The magic word is "Boolean".

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Finding multiple file extensions
Here are some:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb266512.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/des.../advanced.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro.../advquery.mspx

Lots of repetition among the three articles. But not much about '=' and
more importantly, '~'

If you were searching for filenames with parentheses in the name, the
following don't give accurate results:

name:"*(*)*"
name:="*(*)*"

you need to use:

name:~"*(*)*"

--

"KeithHoward" <KeithHoward.368a06@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:KeithHoward.368a06@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Keith Miller \(MVP\);729038 Wrote:
>> in the Search box, use:
>>
>> ="*.xls"
>>
>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>>

>> "KeithHoward" <KeithHoward.367tc7@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
>> message news:KeithHoward.367tc7@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>> >
>> > When you search for *.xls, you also get *.xlsx files. This is not the
>> > end of the world, because you can sort by the Type column and easily
>> > view a list of all *.xls files. However, if you have hundreds of
>> > thousands of both, it would be helpful just to see the *.xls files.
>> >
>> > Is this possible?
>> >

>> > --
>> > KeithHoward
>> >

> Sweet. Thank you Keith.
>
> - Keith
>
> P.S. Is there a documentation link on these neat little tricks like =
> and OR? All the best.
>

> --
> KeithHoward

KeithHoward is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you from Keith to Keith
Keith,

Yet again you've come through. Thank you, especially for the morsel on use of ~.

Kind regards,

London Keith