Moving My Documents Folder

rattlesnake

Moving My Documents Folder

At the momement the My Documents folder is located on the C: drive, but
i would like it to be moved to my D: drive which is for storing all my
data.

Anyone know how i can do this with out doing any harm to my computer?

--
rattlesnake
Michael

Re: Moving My Documents Folder
Do NOT touch the My Documents folder it is not a real folder it is special.

In Vista the directory you want is just Documents.

If you want your documents to be on the D Drive you can, however there seem
to be a lot of people that have regretted such a move with multiple
directories all over the place and difficulties for some programs to find
files. Given that:

Login as the user you want to affect.

now right click the Documents directory
select properties
now the Location tab
It probably shows C:\Users\yourname\Documents

Name a place where you want the documents actually stored. DO NOT simply say
D:.
Something such as D:\yourname\Documents could be a choice.

Now select the Move button.
Pay attention the any warnings, if it seems to recommend that you not do
this for some reason cancel the process and get back here with what it seems
upset about and perhaps someone can advise.

Michael

"rattlesnake" <rattlesnake.2xf844@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> At the momement the My Documents folder is located on the C: drive, but
> i would like it to be moved to my D: drive which is for storing all my
> data.
>
> Anyone know how i can do this with out doing any harm to my computer?
>

> --
> rattlesnake

MrMusic

Re: Moving My Documents Folder
Good day. I am unable to find the Location tab or the MOVE selection.

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:53:56 -0400, "Michael"
<mexxwalraven@verson.net> wrote:

>Do NOT touch the My Documents folder it is not a real folder it is special.
>
>In Vista the directory you want is just Documents.
>
>If you want your documents to be on the D Drive you can, however there seem
>to be a lot of people that have regretted such a move with multiple
>directories all over the place and difficulties for some programs to find
>files. Given that:
>
>Login as the user you want to affect.
>
>now right click the Documents directory
>select properties
>now the Location tab
>It probably shows C:\Users\yourname\Documents
>
>Name a place where you want the documents actually stored. DO NOT simply say
>D:.
>Something such as D:\yourname\Documents could be a choice.
>
>Now select the Move button.
>Pay attention the any warnings, if it seems to recommend that you not do
>this for some reason cancel the process and get back here with what it seems
>upset about and perhaps someone can advise.
>
>Michael
>
>"rattlesnake" <rattlesnake.2xf844@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>
>> At the momement the My Documents folder is located on the C: drive, but
>> i would like it to be moved to my D: drive which is for storing all my
>> data.
>>
>> Anyone know how i can do this with out doing any harm to my computer?
>>

>> --
>> rattlesnake

Michael

Re: Moving My Documents Folder
If the Documents folder no longer has the 'Location' tab then there have
possible been changes made to the registry or the documents have already
been moved. In either case the solution is beyond by experience.

Michael