Search files by content

Paddy

Search files by content
I have a directory with a large number of subdirectories and files.

I wish to find all files that contain a certain search phrase (i.e. the
search phrase is not in the file name, but in the contents of the file). Most
of the files are plain ASCII text with assorted extensions.

In Windows XP, this was easy and quick; there was a place in the search
options to search on the contents.

In Vista (not as easy - why does Microsoft "fix" things that already work?),
the search finds some of the files with the search phrase, but not all of
them.

Why would Vista ignore some of the files?
Dave Wood [MS]

Re: Search files by content
Vista Search will search the contents of all files which it knows what kind
of data is in the file. Just typing in the search box will do this. But if
the file has an unknown extension the contents are not searched {similarly
to in XP}. In the Indexing Control Panel you can control the search behavior
for each file type.

"Paddy" <Paddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a directory with a large number of subdirectories and files.
>
> I wish to find all files that contain a certain search phrase (i.e. the
> search phrase is not in the file name, but in the contents of the file).
> Most
> of the files are plain ASCII text with assorted extensions.
>
> In Windows XP, this was easy and quick; there was a place in the search
> options to search on the contents.
>
> In Vista (not as easy - why does Microsoft "fix" things that already
> work?),
> the search finds some of the files with the search phrase, but not all of
> them.
>
> Why would Vista ignore some of the files?

Paddy

Re: Search files by content
Thank you, Dave.

Your comments have allowed me to solve the problem.

Question: Is there a way to ask Vista to search only specific files, e.g.
*.xyz, for the content?
Dave Wood [MS]

Re: Search files by content
The way I do it is by typing name:*.xyz into the search box as well as my
query words. You can also do something similar in the Advanced Search Pane.

> Thank you, Dave.
>
> Your comments have allowed me to solve the problem.
>
> Question: Is there a way to ask Vista to search only specific files, e.g.
> *.xyz, for the content?

Paddy

Re: Search files by content
Thank you, Dave. That works, but it also returns some extra files. I don't
know for what reason.
Dave Wood [MS]

Re: Search files by content
Do the extra files contain "xyz" in the filename? Technically you can do
ext:xyz to really only match on the file extension.

> Thank you, Dave. That works, but it also returns some extra files. I don't
> know for what reason.

Paddy

Re: Search files by content
Cool, that works!

Thanks a ton for your help.
Teri

Re: Search files by content
I am having same problem with file type excel files from XP. (.xls)

there are other postings with same issue - "searching based on content" ,
"file search can't find files with specified word" , "Vista Search
functionality" (this one recommends using "quotes" or putting all into
indexing - not really good solution for me), "searching for words within
documents" (this one recommends a shareware program to download that does the
trick - why should we have to do that?? Vista should do it native) , "Search
files by content".

These postings date back to September 2007 - seems this problem has been
around and isn't going away. Maybe Vista should issue patch?

Is there some trick we are all missing???????????

Thanks for all your help.

"Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:

> Vista Search will search the contents of all files which it knows what kind
> of data is in the file. Just typing in the search box will do this. But if
> the file has an unknown extension the contents are not searched {similarly
> to in XP}. In the Indexing Control Panel you can control the search behavior
> for each file type.
>
> "Paddy" <Paddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a directory with a large number of subdirectories and files.
> >
> > I wish to find all files that contain a certain search phrase (i.e. the
> > search phrase is not in the file name, but in the contents of the file).
> > Most
> > of the files are plain ASCII text with assorted extensions.
> >
> > In Windows XP, this was easy and quick; there was a place in the search
> > options to search on the contents.
> >
> > In Vista (not as easy - why does Microsoft "fix" things that already
> > work?),
> > the search finds some of the files with the search phrase, but not all of
> > them.
> >
> > Why would Vista ignore some of the files?

David in Central VA

Re: Search files by content
Dave, Where can I find the full list of parameters/syntax for Vista seach
functions?
You've offered name: ext:
I'd like to get educated.
(Why MS has decided not to put a "?" with a syntax help popup I'll never
know. And if it's in technet it must not be very well indexed - that would be
ironic.)

Thanks!

"Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:

> Do the extra files contain "xyz" in the filename? Technically you can do
> ext:xyz to really only match on the file extension.
>
> "Paddy" <Paddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you, Dave. That works, but it also returns some extra files. I don't
> > know for what reason.

thuse

Re: Search files by content
I've found my way to the "index control panel", I think it was called in an
earlier post, by start/control panel/indexing options. When I go to the
"advanced" tab, then "file types", there is a list of extensions that are
allowed. There is also an icon on the bottom with the title "add new
extension", but it is "dimmed out", or whatever the correct term is for this
condition. That is, it is in dim hues, and does not respond to mouse picks.

I'd like to add the extension .dat to the list. How do I do so?
Thuse in LA