Searching for words within documents

Riles

Searching for words within documents
When I enter a particular word to be found in all my documents, Vista search
only finds those documents where the word is in the first line or two. I want
it to find all documents in which the chosen word appears anywhere. Anyone
know how to persuade it to oblige? Many thanks.
--
Riles
Papa Frank

Re: Searching for words within documents
Search for a program " agent ransack" excellent and free last i looked

"Riles" <Riles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I enter a particular word to be found in all my documents, Vista
> search
> only finds those documents where the word is in the first line or two. I
> want
> it to find all documents in which the chosen word appears anywhere. Anyone
> know how to persuade it to oblige? Many thanks.
> --
> Riles

Riles

Re: Searching for words within documents
Excellent. I've followed your advice and it's spot on. Thank you so much.
--
Riles

"Papa Frank" wrote:

> Search for a program " agent ransack" excellent and free last i looked
>
> "Riles" <Riles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I enter a particular word to be found in all my documents, Vista
> > search
> > only finds those documents where the word is in the first line or two. I
> > want
> > it to find all documents in which the chosen word appears anywhere. Anyone
> > know how to persuade it to oblige? Many thanks.
> > --
> > Riles

Papa Frank

Re: Searching for words within documents
You are welcome,

I have been using that program for about two years, it will even find text
in footnotes etc.

It appears to run alot faster in XP.

> Excellent. I've followed your advice and it's spot on. Thank you so much.
> --
> Riles
>

> "Papa Frank" wrote:
>
>> Search for a program " agent ransack" excellent and free last i looked
>>
>> "Riles" <Riles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I enter a particular word to be found in all my documents, Vista
>> > search
>> > only finds those documents where the word is in the first line or two.
>> > want
>> > it to find all documents in which the chosen word appears anywhere.
>> > Anyone
>> > know how to persuade it to oblige? Many thanks.
>> > --
>> > Riles

Dave Wood [MS]

Re: Searching for words within documents
I'm not aware of any circumstances where only the first few lines of a
document would be searched by Vista Search. Can you explain in a bit more
detail what behavior you are seeing?

"Riles" <Riles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I enter a particular word to be found in all my documents, Vista
> search
> only finds those documents where the word is in the first line or two. I
> want
> it to find all documents in which the chosen word appears anywhere. Anyone
> know how to persuade it to oblige? Many thanks.
> --
> Riles

Teri

Re: Searching for words within documents
I am having the same issue as Riles - I need Vista search to search entire
contents and return complete list of files that contain them.

It does not work. All my searches return "not found". Bad thing to have to
open each file to run search inside each one to find the specific file I need
- see also "Vista search functionality" discussion for another person
having similar problem.

Seems it is not isolated problem but some odd trouble with Vista's handling
of search.

Words Kingdom 1.01 Gamer Games Feed 0 08-09-2007 15:50
Aspose.Words for Java 2.1.0.0 VistaDev Vista Software Development Feed 0 06-12-2007 21:46
Off the wire: Searching for "classified" content in documents Steve Security News 0 05-20-2007 23:59