File 'Search' function can't find files with specified key word

kbman

File 'Search' function can't find files with specified key word
In a folder, I want to search files which contain special key word. I typed
the key word in the 'Search' box which is integrated in Windows exploer,
nothing found, actually there are some.
I'm sure I've checked all the possible options related with 'Search'
function that M$ provided.
If I make a new file and type the key word in it, then the 'Search' function
can find it!
I tested it on the other Vista PC, it's the same. I'm using Vista Business.

I think it's a bug, Vista is not compatible with old charactar set. The file
and the OS are all in English.

--
$$
TEK

Re: File 'Search' function can't find files with specified key word
On 21 Sep, 11:30, kbman <kb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> In a folder, I want to search files which contain special key word. I typed
> the key word in the 'Search' box which is integrated in Windows exploer,
> nothing found, actually there are some.
> I'm sure I've checked all the possible options related with 'Search'
> function that M$ provided.
> If I make a new file and type the key word in it, then the 'Search' function
> can find it!
> I tested it on the other Vista PC, it's the same. I'm using Vista Business.
>
> I think it's a bug, Vista is not compatible with old charactar set. The file
> and the OS are all in English.
>
> --
> $$

I'm experiencing the same issue.
If I search my documents folder just on filename, for example *.pdf,
it does not find anything even if I know that there is several files
(I can see them!)
However, if I rename for example a .pdf file to .txt and then rename
it back to .pdf again, it will be found!
I actually think that I'm experiencing this on two computers, my home
computer as well as my work computer. The search is just not finding
anything!

Does anyone know anything about this issue?

Running Vista Premium Edition

bpazolli

Re: File 'Search' function can't find files with specified key word
Good news I think, goto control panel type in the search box search
click under indexing options change who windows searchs and select c
drive in modify (I also selected some of the folders it excludes) I
think that may help it work better but maybe not.

Ben Pazolli

On Sep 23, 1:41 am, TEK <trond-ei...@kolloen.no> wrote:
> On 21 Sep, 11:30, kbman <kb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > In a folder, I want to search files which contain special key word. I typed
> > the key word in the 'Search' box which is integrated in Windows exploer,
> > nothing found, actually there are some.
> > I'm sure I've checked all the possible options related with 'Search'
> > function that M$ provided.
> > If I make a new file and type the key word in it, then the 'Search' function
> > can find it!
> > I tested it on the other Vista PC, it's the same. I'm using Vista Business.

> > I think it's a bug, Vista is not compatible with old charactar set. The file
> > and the OS are all in English.

> > --
> > $$

> I'm experiencing the same issue.
> If I search my documents folder just on filename, for example *.pdf,
> it does not find anything even if I know that there is several files
> (I can see them!)
> However, if I rename for example a .pdf file to .txt and then rename
> it back to .pdf again, it will be found!
> I actually think that I'm experiencing this on two computers, my home
> computer as well as my work computer. The search is just not finding
> anything!
>
> Does anyone know anything about this issue?
>
> Running Vista Premium Edition

kbman

Re: File 'Search' function can't find files with specified key wor
Your solution works, many thanks!

Add the location in the indexing, waiting a long and dull time till the
indexing finished. Vista will index all files in the location, no progress
bar tell you how long it would take, just open the indexing maintain sheet
and read the text. Only starting 'Search' from the start menu or root
directories(C:\, D:\ etc.) can find the files.

I don't know why the search functionality designed like this; it's damn
inconvenient for the user. I still think it’s a bug for those non-indexing
files and those files under sub-directories.

Does anybody know how to report it to M$?

--
$$

"bpazolli" wrote:

> Good news I think, goto control panel type in the search box search
> click under indexing options change who windows searchs and select c
> drive in modify (I also selected some of the folders it excludes) I
> think that may help it work better but maybe not.
>
> Ben Pazolli
>
> On Sep 23, 1:41 am, TEK <trond-ei...@kolloen.no> wrote:
> > On 21 Sep, 11:30, kbman <kb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In a folder, I want to search files which contain special key word. I typed
> > > the key word in the 'Search' box which is integrated in Windows exploer,
> > > nothing found, actually there are some.
> > > I'm sure I've checked all the possible options related with 'Search'
> > > function that M$ provided.
> > > If I make a new file and type the key word in it, then the 'Search' function
> > > can find it!
> > > I tested it on the other Vista PC, it's the same. I'm using Vista Business.

> > > I think it's a bug, Vista is not compatible with old charactar set. The file
> > > and the OS are all in English.

> > > --
> > > $$

> > I'm experiencing the same issue.
> > If I search my documents folder just on filename, for example *.pdf,
> > it does not find anything even if I know that there is several files
> > (I can see them!)
> > However, if I rename for example a .pdf file to .txt and then rename
> > it back to .pdf again, it will be found!
> > I actually think that I'm experiencing this on two computers, my home
> > computer as well as my work computer. The search is just not finding
> > anything!
> >
> > Does anyone know anything about this issue?
> >
> > Running Vista Premium Edition

Teri

Re: File 'Search' function can't find files with specified key wor
I am having same issue, and I don't want to have to add anything to the
indexing - Vista search should be able to find it either way - Windows 2000
could.

I am searching for files across the network, other people add files and
directories all the time - how can I know where people put things??

I need to be able to do content search and have Vista Search return list of
all files containing what I'm looking for - whether it's in the index or not.

"kbman" wrote:

> Your solution works, many thanks!
>
> Add the location in the indexing, waiting a long and dull time till the
> indexing finished. Vista will index all files in the location, no progress
> bar tell you how long it would take, just open the indexing maintain sheet
> and read the text. Only starting 'Search' from the start menu or root
> directories(C:\, D:\ etc.) can find the files.
>
> I don't know why the search functionality designed like this; it's damn
> inconvenient for the user. I still think it’s a bug for those non-indexing
> files and those files under sub-directories.
>
> Does anybody know how to report it to M$?
>
> --
> $$
>

> "bpazolli" wrote:
>
> > Good news I think, goto control panel type in the search box search
> > click under indexing options change who windows searchs and select c
> > drive in modify (I also selected some of the folders it excludes) I
> > think that may help it work better but maybe not.
> >
> > Ben Pazolli

> > > I'm experiencing the same issue.
> > > If I search my documents folder just on filename, for example *.pdf,
> > > it does not find anything even if I know that there is several files
> > > (I can see them!)
> > > However, if I rename for example a .pdf file to .txt and then rename
> > > it back to .pdf again, it will be found!
> > > I actually think that I'm experiencing this on two computers, my home
> > > computer as well as my work computer. The search is just not finding
> > > anything!
> > >
> > > Does anyone know anything about this issue?
> > >
> > > Running Vista Premium Edition

txgeek

Re: File 'Search' function can't find files with specified key wor
lead the search string with * as in *rs
this will find files with rs anywhere in the filename, not just files
beginning with rs

yes,

this is a serious change /screwup that makes V such a pain

Teri wrote:
> I am having same issue, and I don't want to have to add anything to the
> indexing - Vista search should be able to find it either way - Windows 2000
> could.
>
> I am searching for files across the network, other people add files and
> directories all the time - how can I know where people put things??
>
> I need to be able to do content search and have Vista Search return list of
> all files containing what I'm looking for - whether it's in the index or not.
>
> "kbman" wrote:
>

>>Your solution works, many thanks!
>>
>>Add the location in the indexing, waiting a long and dull time till the
>>indexing finished. Vista will index all files in the location, no progress
>>bar tell you how long it would take, just open the indexing maintain sheet
>>and read the text. Only starting 'Search' from the start menu or root
>>directories(C:\, D:\ etc.) can find the files.
>>
>>I don't know why the search functionality designed like this; it's damn
>>inconvenient for the user. I still think it’s a bug for those non-indexing
>>files and those files under sub-directories.
>>
>>Does anybody know how to report it to M$?
>>
>>--
>>$$
>>

>>"bpazolli" wrote:
>>

>>>Good news I think, goto control panel type in the search box search
>>>click under indexing options change who windows searchs and select c
>>>drive in modify (I also selected some of the folders it excludes) I
>>>think that may help it work better but maybe not.
>>>
>>>Ben Pazolli

Elemental

Re: File 'Search' function can't find files with specified key wor
One of my co-workers seems to be having a similar issue. He has a laptop and
desktop computer that connect to a network, he knows he has "file A" in both
computers C drive but even a search with the string value (*.file ext) on his
laptop shows no results found and according to him it was working a week ago.

No new installs, although he's always uploading and downloading images
something required in his line of work, he's done nothing new or different to
cause this problem.

So, what could cause a search, from the Start Menu, to work one week and not
work a week later; bare in mind the file he's looking for is on the laptop's
C drive?

Any ideas, solutions, help...?

Peace,
Elemental