In Start Menu, my Pictures and Music folders are gone!!!

LEO MODE

In Start Menu, my Pictures and Music folders are gone!!!
Hi, this is the story

Since I don't have enough storage in the C drive, I designated my Documents
folder (the sub-folders which were Pictures, Music, Videos and so forth) into
the D drive

So in the D drive, you can see all my Documents folder and the sub-folders
with the correct icon.

However, the time has passed by, and I guess something went wrong.

Because when I try to open my Pictures and Music folders into the desktop, I
cannot open. And if I try to right-click it I only see Copy, Change Name, and
Properties. So if I click properties everything is empty, therefore I cannot
bring my D drive's Pictures or anything at all.

The problem arises when I try to install Itunes or Adobe Acrobat reader.
Because I guess they have to do it with some sort of original Documents
folder, which makes the installation unsuccessful, saying that "Documents is
not a valid folder or route" (my Windows is Korean so I don't know what the
English will say)

So basically my question is, how can I recover the regular route and make
the Documents folder and the sub-folders into the original C route? This is
really frustrating and I don't want to re-install Vista again because I'm
really settled now with the programs installed and everything.

Please help me!!!
dean-dean

Re: In Start Menu, my Pictures and Music folders are gone!!!
Look in these keys in the Registry Editor:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

What is the Data for the Names "My Music" and "My Pictures" (no quotation
marks).

The defaults for the first key should be "C:\Users\(You)\Music" and
"C:\Users\(You)\Pictures" (no quotation marks).

The defaults for the second key should be "%USERPROFILE%\Music" and
"%USERPROFILE%\Pictures" (no quotation marks).

"LEO MODE" <LEOMODE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, this is the story
>
> Since I don't have enough storage in the C drive, I designated my
> Documents
> folder (the sub-folders which were Pictures, Music, Videos and so forth)
> into
> the D drive
>
> So in the D drive, you can see all my Documents folder and the sub-folders
> with the correct icon.
>
> However, the time has passed by, and I guess something went wrong.
>
> Because when I try to open my Pictures and Music folders into the desktop,
> cannot open. And if I try to right-click it I only see Copy, Change Name,
> and
> Properties. So if I click properties everything is empty, therefore I
> cannot
> bring my D drive's Pictures or anything at all.
>
> The problem arises when I try to install Itunes or Adobe Acrobat reader.
> Because I guess they have to do it with some sort of original Documents
> folder, which makes the installation unsuccessful, saying that "Documents
> is
> not a valid folder or route" (my Windows is Korean so I don't know what
> the
> English will say)
>
> So basically my question is, how can I recover the regular route and make
> the Documents folder and the sub-folders into the original C route? This
> is
> really frustrating and I don't want to re-install Vista again because I'm
> really settled now with the programs installed and everything.
>
> Please help me!!!

LEO MODE

Re: In Start Menu, my Pictures and Music folders are gone!!!
thanks a lot! you helped me perfectly!

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Look in these keys in the Registry Editor:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
> Folders
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders
>
> What is the Data for the Names "My Music" and "My Pictures" (no quotation
> marks).
>
> The defaults for the first key should be "C:\Users\(You)\Music" and
> "C:\Users\(You)\Pictures" (no quotation marks).
>
> The defaults for the second key should be "%USERPROFILE%\Music" and
> "%USERPROFILE%\Pictures" (no quotation marks).
>

> "LEO MODE" <LEOMODE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, this is the story
> >
> > Since I don't have enough storage in the C drive, I designated my
> > Documents
> > folder (the sub-folders which were Pictures, Music, Videos and so forth)
> > into
> > the D drive
> >
> > So in the D drive, you can see all my Documents folder and the sub-folders
> > with the correct icon.
> >
> > However, the time has passed by, and I guess something went wrong.
> >
> > Because when I try to open my Pictures and Music folders into the desktop,
> > cannot open. And if I try to right-click it I only see Copy, Change Name,
> > and
> > Properties. So if I click properties everything is empty, therefore I
> > cannot
> > bring my D drive's Pictures or anything at all.
> >
> > The problem arises when I try to install Itunes or Adobe Acrobat reader.
> > Because I guess they have to do it with some sort of original Documents
> > folder, which makes the installation unsuccessful, saying that "Documents
> > is
> > not a valid folder or route" (my Windows is Korean so I don't know what
> > the
> > English will say)
> >
> > So basically my question is, how can I recover the regular route and make
> > the Documents folder and the sub-folders into the original C route? This
> > is
> > really frustrating and I don't want to re-install Vista again because I'm
> > really settled now with the programs installed and everything.
> >
> > Please help me!!!

brink

dean-dean;459487 Wrote:
> Look in these keys in the Registry Editor:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
> Folders
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders
>
> What is the Data for the Names "My Music" and "My Pictures" (no
> quotation
> marks).
>
> The defaults for the first key should be "C:\Users\(You)\Music" and
> "C:\Users\(You)\Pictures" (no quotation marks).
>
> The defaults for the second key should be "%USERPROFILE%\Music" and
> "%USERPROFILE%\Pictures" (no quotation marks).

Hi dean-dean,

I noticed these HKEY locations only contained 6 in one and 7 in the
other of the personal user folders. "Downloads" being the one not in
the "Shell Folders".

Do you know the HKEY locations for the other personal user folders?
(Contact, Links, Saved Games, and Searches)

Thank you,
Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
dean-dean

Re: In Start Menu, my Pictures and Music folders are gone!!!
Hi Shawn,

Well, yes, it's mysterious indeed. I'm not sure why different shell folders
are listed in those keys in the registry, and why others are not. All the
shell folders are listed here, as sub-keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\explorer\FolderDescriptions

I'm thinking that unless certain folders (such as Contacts, Links, Saved
Games, and Searches) are moved by the user, then they won't be listed in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

and that the default locations are used. Why this is true for some shell
folders and not others, I don't know.

Too, the Downloads folder is, by default, listed as
{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B} in the following key, and
doesn't necessarily have to be moved. If the Contacts folder is moved,
however, its name is listed as {56784854-C6CB-462B-8169-88E350ACB882}, but
otherwise, if not moved, it's not listed in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders.

I think that Links would show {BFB9D5E0-C6A9-404C-B2B2-AE6DB6AF4968},
Searches would show {7D1D3A04-DEBB-4115-95CF-2F29DA2920DA}, and Saved Games
would be {4C5C32FF-BB9D-43b0-B5B4-2D72E54EAAA4}, under the Name value of
that key, with the user-defined new path under value Data, should a user
change the folder's location from the default. For Contacts, Links, Saved
Games, and Searches, therefore, I think that deleting those Name values in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

would restore the folders' default locations, should their paths no longer
be valid for one reason or another. Or, one could just change the path to a
valid location. I've only tested this by moving the Contacts folder,
though, and not tried the others (further fiddling|testing is required)...
)

In other words, say, a user moved Contacts to Drive G, a removable drive.
Drive G is dropped on the floor, and destroyed. One could buy another
removable drive, name it G, and run the command shell:contacts, to create a
new Contacts folder on the new Drive G. Or, one could skip buying a new
Drive, delete the Name value {56784854-C6CB-462B-8169-88E350ACB882} in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders,

then run the command shell:contacts, and thereby create a new, restored
Contacts folder in the default location, that is, C:\Users\(User
Name)\Contacts. But, since it's now in the default location, it won't be
listed in the above key. Such is the mysteriousness of the Contacts folder,
at least...

"brink" <brink.2xazcm@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> dean-dean;459487 Wrote:
>> Look in these keys in the Registry Editor:
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
>> Folders
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
>> Shell Folders
>>
>> What is the Data for the Names "My Music" and "My Pictures" (no
>> quotation
>> marks).
>>
>> The defaults for the first key should be "C:\Users\(You)\Music" and
>> "C:\Users\(You)\Pictures" (no quotation marks).
>>
>> The defaults for the second key should be "%USERPROFILE%\Music" and
>> "%USERPROFILE%\Pictures" (no quotation marks).
>>

> Hi dean-dean,
>
> I noticed these HKEY locations only contained 6 in one and 7 in the
> other of the personal user folders. "Downloads" being the one not in
> the "Shell Folders".
>
> Do you know the HKEY locations for the other personal user folders?
> (Contact, Links, Saved Games, and Searches)
>
> Thank you,
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")

brink

dean-dean;460190 Wrote:
> [...]
>

> In other words, say, a user moved Contacts to Drive G, a removable
> drive.
> Drive G is dropped on the floor, and destroyed. One could buy another
> removable drive, name it G, and run the command shell:contacts, to
> create a
> new Contacts folder on the new Drive G. Or, one could skip buying a new
> Drive, delete the Name value {56784854-C6CB-462B-8169-88E350ACB882} in
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders,
>
> then run the command shell:contacts, and thereby create a new, restored
> Contacts folder in the default location, that is, C:\Users\(User
> Name)\Contacts. But, since it's now in the default location, it won't
> be
> listed in the above key. Such is the mysteriousness of the Contacts

dean-dean,

You gave me a lot to play with and test. This will be very helpful.

Thank you very much,
Shawn

dean-dean;460190 Wrote:
> [...]
>

> In other words, say, a user moved Contacts to Drive G, a removable
> drive.
> Drive G is dropped on the floor, and destroyed. One could buy another
> removable drive, name it G, and run the command shell:contacts, to
> create a
> new Contacts folder on the new Drive G. Or, one could skip buying a new
> Drive, delete the Name value {56784854-C6CB-462B-8169-88E350ACB882} in
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders,
>
> then run the command shell:contacts, and thereby create a new, restored
> Contacts folder in the default location, that is, C:\Users\(User
> Name)\Contacts. But, since it's now in the default location, it won't
> be
> listed in the above key. Such is the mysteriousness of the Contacts

Ok dean-dean,

Here is a strange one for you. I did some testing and playing on this
with my personal user "Music" folder. I was clicking the "Apply Actions"
for Windows Defender while doing this.

1. I changed the Target for the Music folder from my C:\ HDD to the the
D:\ CD/DVD.

2. It was linked just fine with the DVD drive with the DVD in it.

3. I took the the DVD out of the drive to simulate the lost Target for
the Music folder.

4. The Music folder was then gone from the personal folders list in the
Start menu as expected. I noticed it was listed in the "Links" folder
for the DVD drive. This did not surprise me and made sense.

5. I changed the location in the two HKEY locations back to the default
location for the Music folder.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

6. I typed the Shell:My Music, but no luck. I logged off and on, but
still no luck. The Music folder would not return back to default. I had
to put the DVD back in the drive so the Music folder would return. I
then changed the Target in the shortcut's Properties back to the default
target path. It returned back to opening from the default location
then.

What do you think? I am working on writing a tutorial for this, but
this part is hanging me up. (haha)

Thank you for any ideas,
Shawn