how can I prevent windows to write my files at virtual store folde

Isaac

how can I prevent windows to write my files at virtual store folde
This is driving me crazy!

I have lost 10 days of programming due to this "bug" or new windows vista
"feature"

I´m working in my application and saving every file in the folder I choose.
Everything seems ok, but suddenly, after load it yesterday I lost all the
work of 10 days because Vista load files written in another folder!!!

I was forced to unistall all my software to start from the last back up copy
(suppossed to be updated to yesterday morning) but the weird thing is that
the back up copy (saved yesterday) is from august 30th!

Now I´m working again but saving are saved on that virtual store and opened
from my chosen folder... I´m so frustrated and desesperated right now.

How can I prevent Vista to save in that Virtual Store since I´m working in
my own folder? is this possible? how can I prevent data damage or losing?

Thanks!

Isaac

RE: how can I prevent windows to write my files at virtual store folde
Now I know that I will be in the right adress:

My software will make me believe that it is saving files in the folder I´ve
chosen, but the truth is that they are saved in virtual store.

The only caution I must have now is to not forget this and make my back up
from that virtual store folder.

d*mn.

*10 DAYS OF WORK LOST DUE TO THIS. IT WILL BE GREAT TO HAVE A NOTICE FROM
THIS CHANGES FROM XP TO VISTA BEFORE THIS KIND OF PAINFUL LEARNING.

"Isaac" wrote:

> This is driving me crazy!
>
> I have lost 10 days of programming due to this "bug" or new windows vista
> "feature"
>
> I´m working in my application and saving every file in the folder I choose.
> Everything seems ok, but suddenly, after load it yesterday I lost all the
> work of 10 days because Vista load files written in another folder!!!
>
> I was forced to unistall all my software to start from the last back up copy
> (suppossed to be updated to yesterday morning) but the weird thing is that
> the back up copy (saved yesterday) is from august 30th!
>
> Now I´m working again but saving are saved on that virtual store and opened
> from my chosen folder... I´m so frustrated and desesperated right now.
>
> How can I prevent Vista to save in that Virtual Store since I´m working in
> my own folder? is this possible? how can I prevent data damage or losing?
>
> Thanks!

calvin

Re: how can I prevent windows to write my files at virtual store folde
Turn off UAC (User Account Control) and vista will no longer use the virtual
store folder but you will be less secure though. I personally turn off UAC
all the time.
"Isaac" <Isaac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is driving me crazy!
>
> I have lost 10 days of programming due to this "bug" or new windows vista
> "feature"
>
> I´m working in my application and saving every file in the folder I
> choose.
> Everything seems ok, but suddenly, after load it yesterday I lost all the
> work of 10 days because Vista load files written in another folder!!!
>
> I was forced to unistall all my software to start from the last back up
> copy
> (suppossed to be updated to yesterday morning) but the weird thing is that
> the back up copy (saved yesterday) is from august 30th!
>
> Now I´m working again but saving are saved on that virtual store and
> opened
> from my chosen folder... I´m so frustrated and desesperated right now.
>
> How can I prevent Vista to save in that Virtual Store since I´m working
> in
> my own folder? is this possible? how can I prevent data damage or losing?
>
> Thanks!

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: how can I prevent windows to write my files at virtual store folde
Calvin

This is definitely not a good idea. Many legacy programs will just silently
fail when they are not able to virtualize their configuration files or
registry settings. In addition, turning off UAC also disables Internet
Explorer Protect Mode.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP