System Restore Size?

EW

System Restore Size?
Is there any way to set the maximum size of Vista Home Premium allotted
restore point space? If so, I can't find it. I see no use for restore
points from several months ago, if the system is running well, and there are
recent points to rely on.

Thanks.

EW

JerryM

Re: System Restore Size?
From John Barnett MVP

This is a short version to save time,

Click Start,
From the start menu, click all programs, followed by accessories,
right click on the command prompt option,
from the dropdown menu, click run as administrator,
when the command prompt window opens,

type: vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=2GB

then hit enter,

If all goes well you should see a message saying `Successfully resized the
shadow copy storage association`

"EW" <ewyatt_del_me-@excite.com> wrote in message
news:46f06538$0$47116$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...
> Is there any way to set the maximum size of Vista Home Premium allotted
> restore point space? If so, I can't find it. I see no use for restore
> points from several months ago, if the system is running well, and there
> are recent points to rely on.
>
> Thanks.
>
> EW

Sharon F

Re: System Restore Size?
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:54:38 -0500, EW wrote:

> Is there any way to set the maximum size of Vista Home Premium allotted
> restore point space? If so, I can't find it. I see no use for restore
> points from several months ago, if the system is running well, and there are
> recent points to rely on.
>
> Thanks.
>
> EW

No size adjustment in Vista. System Restore is either on or off. Part of
the reason for the change is the new "previous versions" feature. Right
click a file in Documents and select Properties. If the feature is
available for that file type, you'll see the new "Previous Versions" tab.
There is a link on that page that you can click to bring up the help topics
for this feature.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Bert Kinney

Re: System Restore Size?
Hi EW,

How to adjust disk space in Windows Vista:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskspacev.html

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

EW wrote:
> Is there any way to set the maximum size of Vista Home Premium allotted
> restore point space? If so, I can't find it. I see no use for restore
> points from several months ago, if the system is running well, and there are
> recent points to rely on.
>
> Thanks.
>
> EW

EW

Re: System Restore Size?

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi EW,
>
> How to adjust disk space in Windows Vista:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskspacev.html

Thank you, and SharonF and JerryM for the good replies. Lots of great info.
But my question now, after I used "Clean Disk" in Accessories to delete all
my Restore Points (other than the last one): did I lose a lot of relevant
data by deleting those 30GB of restore points? In other words, if I
(hypothetically) decide to go back to my most recent Restore Point in a few
days, will I have lost necessary data to make that restore process truly
worthy? My Vista computer runs perfectly, so I don't see a problem. Might
I have one in theory anyway? Thanks again.

EW

JerryM

Re: System Restore Size?
Hi, EW,

If you deleted all the restore points except the last one,
Your system can be restored normally using the last one.

System Restore only restores the system files,
not programs that you have installed.

One of the very good reasons to backup anything important.

Jerry

"EW" <ewyatt_del_me-@excite.com> wrote in message
news:46f1abf2$0$47144$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...

> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi EW,
>>
>> How to adjust disk space in Windows Vista:
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskspacev.html
>>

> Thank you, and SharonF and JerryM for the good replies. Lots of great
> info. But my question now, after I used "Clean Disk" in Accessories to
> delete all my Restore Points (other than the last one): did I lose a lot
> of relevant data by deleting those 30GB of restore points? In other
> words, if I (hypothetically) decide to go back to my most recent Restore
> Point in a few days, will I have lost necessary data to make that restore
> process truly worthy? My Vista computer runs perfectly, so I don't see a
> problem. Might I have one in theory anyway? Thanks again.
>
> EW

Kat

RE: System Restore Size?
Since I got my new computer, Vista Home Premium has set only one restore
point— back in June. When I've tried to create a new one, I've been told
there's insufficient storage available. (Note: hard drive is 320 GB, more
than 80% free.)

I resized shadow storage to three times the size of the single existing
shadow copy, & the command prompt window told me it was done successfully.
But I still can't create a new restore point—same old reason: insufficient
storage space.

Worse yet, system restore using that single restore point from June has
consistently failed.

Please, any ideas?

~ Kat

"EW" wrote:

> Is there any way to set the maximum size of Vista Home Premium allotted
> restore point space? If so, I can't find it. I see no use for restore
> points from several months ago, if the system is running well, and there are
> recent points to rely on.
>
> Thanks.
>
> EW

Bert Kinney

Re: System Restore Size?
Hi Kat,

Is System Restore set to monitor any drives/partitions other than the now
Vista is installed on?

Run the following command from an elevated command prompt. Copy the results
and post them here.

vssadmin list shadowstorage

Missing Restore Points/Shadow Copies in Windows Vista:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/missingrpv.html

Kat wrote:
> Since I got my new computer, Vista Home Premium has set only one restore
> point— back in June. When I've tried to create a new one, I've been told
> there's insufficient storage available. (Note: hard drive is 320 GB, more
> than 80% free.)
>
> I resized shadow storage to three times the size of the single existing
> shadow copy, & the command prompt window told me it was done successfully.
> But I still can't create a new restore point—same old reason: insufficient
> storage space.
>
> Worse yet, system restore using that single restore point from June has
> consistently failed.
>
> Please, any ideas?
>
> ~ Kat
>

> "EW" wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to set the maximum size of Vista Home Premium allotted
>> restore point space? If so, I can't find it. I see no use for restore
>> points from several months ago, if the system is running well, and there are
>> recent points to rely on.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> EW

Kat

Re: System Restore Size?
Hi Bert,

Here's the result:

Shadow Copy Storage association
For volume: (C\\?\Volume{5592f142-e488-11db-86c4-806e6f6e6963}\
Shadow Copy Storage volume:
(C\\?\Volume{5592f142-e488-11db-86c4-806e6f6e69
63}\
Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 13.859 GB
Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 15.433 GB
Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 43 GB

So, is the problem in the allocation? (Okay, I confess: I'm pretty new to
this. How does it work? You'd think 43 GB would be plenty!)

I don't think there are any "missing" (or deleted) restore points, since the
program keeps telling me specifically that storage space is insufficient.

Thanks so much for your help, Bert!

~ Kat

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Kat,
>
> Is System Restore set to monitor any drives/partitions other than the now
> Vista is installed on?
>
> Run the following command from an elevated command prompt. Copy the results
> and post them here.
>
> vssadmin list shadowstorage
>
> Missing Restore Points/Shadow Copies in Windows Vista:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/missingrpv.html
>
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
> Member: http://dts-l.org
>
> Kat wrote:
> > Since I got my new computer, Vista Home Premium has set only one restore
> > point— back in June. When I've tried to create a new one, I've been told
> > there's insufficient storage available. (Note: hard drive is 320 GB, more
> > than 80% free.)
> >
> > I resized shadow storage to three times the size of the single existing
> > shadow copy, & the command prompt window told me it was done successfully.
> > But I still can't create a new restore point—same old reason: insufficient
> > storage space.
> >
> > Worse yet, system restore using that single restore point from June has
> > consistently failed.
> >
> > Please, any ideas?
> >
> > ~ Kat
> >

> > "EW" wrote:
> >
> >> Is there any way to set the maximum size of Vista Home Premium allotted
> >> restore point space? If so, I can't find it. I see no use for restore
> >> points from several months ago, if the system is running well, and there are
> >> recent points to rely on.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> EW

Bert Kinney

Re: System Restore Size?
Hi Kat,

The storage space look good to me.

Maybe something on this page applies.
Missing Restore Points/Shadow Copies in Windows Vista:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/missingrpv.html

By chance, is there a recovery partition on the hard drive?
This is why I ask. http://snipurl.com/1sm1x