File not recognized

eric blom

File not recognized
I have an Excel file on my desktop. Whenever I double-click on it, I get the
error message "Windows cannot find 'C:\users\owners\Desktop\eric.sources.xlsx'
It doesn't matter if I save it under another name, or even pasting into a
new file.
I am able to open it by opening Excel first and then using the "open"
function.
brink

Re: File not recognized

eric blom;455460 Wrote:
> I have an Excel file on my desktop. Whenever I double-click on it, I get
> the
> error message "Windows cannot find
> 'C:\users\owners\Desktop\eric.sources.xlsx'
> It doesn't matter if I save it under another name, or even pasting into
> new file.
> I am able to open it by opening Excel first and then using the "open"
> function.

Hi Eric,

Are you able to open the Excel file by right clicking on it and click
Open With and selecting the Excel .exe program?

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69...-programs.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
eric blom

Re: File not recognized
Thank you for responding. I just tried it, and no, I can't. Excel opens, but
not the spreadsheet itself. Can you help?

"brink" wrote:

> eric blom;455460 Wrote:
> > I have an Excel file on my desktop. Whenever I double-click on it, I get
> > the
> > error message "Windows cannot find
> > 'C:\users\owners\Desktop\eric.sources.xlsx'
> > It doesn't matter if I save it under another name, or even pasting into
> > new file.
> > I am able to open it by opening Excel first and then using the "open"
> > function.

> Hi Eric,
>
> Are you able to open the Excel file by right clicking on it and click
> Open With and selecting the Excel .exe program?
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69...-programs.html
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: File not recognized
Eric

Check the following article.

You receive an error message when you try to open an Office document or
start Outlook:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835404

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"eric blom" <ericblom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an Excel file on my desktop. Whenever I double-click on it, I get
>the
> error message "Windows cannot find
> 'C:\users\owners\Desktop\eric.sources.xlsx'
> It doesn't matter if I save it under another name, or even pasting into a
> new file.
> I am able to open it by opening Excel first and then using the "open"
> function.

KSAndersen

Re: File not recognized
I have the same problem. I don't think the abovementioned link gives any
solution. I have fully updated anti-virus software (AVG) and disabling this
did not change anything. I have the same problem with Word-files (Office
2003) as with Excel-files. In my case the problem was first solved disabling
UAC.
Kjeld

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Eric
>
> Check the following article.
>
> You receive an error message when you try to open an Office document or
> start Outlook:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835404
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "eric blom" <ericblom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an Excel file on my desktop. Whenever I double-click on it, I get
> >the
> > error message "Windows cannot find
> > 'C:\users\owners\Desktop\eric.sources.xlsx'
> > It doesn't matter if I save it under another name, or even pasting into a
> > new file.
> > I am able to open it by opening Excel first and then using the "open"
> > function.

deng3

Re: File not recognized

After the september bunch of vista-updates I got the same problems.
Has anyone found a solution meanwhile?

In addition since then my Outlook2007 runs a slow folder-repair-process
everytime I open it.

Dieter

"KSAndersen" wrote:

> I have the same problem. I don't think the abovementioned link gives any
> solution. I have fully updated anti-virus software (AVG) and disabling this
> did not change anything. I have the same problem with Word-files (Office
> 2003) as with Excel-files. In my case the problem was first solved disabling
> UAC.
> Kjeld
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
> > Eric
> >
> > Check the following article.
> >
> > You receive an error message when you try to open an Office document or
> > start Outlook:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835404
> >

> > --
> >
> > Ronnie Vernon
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User
> >

> > "eric blom" <ericblom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have an Excel file on my desktop. Whenever I double-click on it, I get
> > >the
> > > error message "Windows cannot find
> > > 'C:\users\owners\Desktop\eric.sources.xlsx'
> > > It doesn't matter if I save it under another name, or even pasting into a
> > > new file.
> > > I am able to open it by opening Excel first and then using the "open"
> > > function.

Richard Online

RE: File not recognized
Hi. Have you tried unchecking the "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic
Data Exchange (DDE)" option, in Office Menu - Excel Options - Advanced?

That works for me.

Ricardo.
capgar

Re: File not recognized
This may work for Excel. It does not work for Word 2007 (problem in
documents folder and with e-mail attachments).

Thanks...Chris

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Eric
>
> Check the following article.
>
> You receive an error message when you try to open an Office document or
> start Outlook:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835404
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "eric blom" <ericblom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an Excel file on my desktop. Whenever I double-click on it, I get
> >the
> > error message "Windows cannot find
> > 'C:\users\owners\Desktop\eric.sources.xlsx'
> > It doesn't matter if I save it under another name, or even pasting into a
> > new file.
> > I am able to open it by opening Excel first and then using the "open"
> > function.

Divesh

RE: File not recognized
Hey Ricardo, the DDE option did the trick. Diamond geeza.

"Richard Online" wrote:

> Hi. Have you tried unchecking the "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic
> Data Exchange (DDE)" option, in Office Menu - Excel Options - Advanced?
>
> That works for me.
>
> Ricardo.

Jan

RE: File not recognized
Unchecking the DDE option did indeed work! Thank you Ricardo!

Grts Jan