Defrag settings & progress invisible?

MPS

Defrag settings & progress invisible?
Following a recent new install I decided to defrag now.

In other OS I used to have a simple box with some choice of settings - do you want this or that and
repeatedly etc.?

Also one would have a large window showing the movemnet of data and clusters around the disk and one
could see if the defrag would hang and estimate how many more hours ;-((

Quite useful.

Is it true that my current VISTA Home Premium does NOT show anything but a Defrag START button?

I do not even see which of my 2 each 320 GB discs are being defragged...

Am I overseeing something?

Are there any reliable tools out there that will do the job the oldfashioned way?

Looking forward,

Maria

Hank Arnold (MVP)

Re: Defrag settings & progress invisible?
MPS wrote:
> Following a recent new install I decided to defrag now.
>
> In other OS I used to have a simple box with some choice of settings -
> do you want this or that and repeatedly etc.?
>
> Also one would have a large window showing the movemnet of data and
> clusters around the disk and one could see if the defrag would hang and
> estimate how many more hours ;-((
>
> Quite useful.
>
> Is it true that my current VISTA Home Premium does NOT show anything but
> a Defrag START button?
>
> I do not even see which of my 2 each 320 GB discs are being defragged...
>
> Am I overseeing something?
>
> Are there any reliable tools out there that will do the job the
> oldfashioned way?
>
> Looking forward,
>
> Maria

Two that I can think of:

Diskeeper
Perfect Disk

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
MPS

Re: Defrag settings & progress invisible?
Thanks Hank --

am I right to assume from your suggestion these apps are compatible as well as harmless/safe to use
with VISTA?

I'd hate to mess up 740 Gigs of Data.

Ciao, Maria

"Hank Arnold (MVP)" <rasilon@aol.com> schreef in bericht
> MPS wrote:
>> Following a recent new install I decided to defrag now.
>>
>> In other OS I used to have a simple box with some choice of settings - do you want this or that
>> and repeatedly etc.?
>>
>> Also one would have a large window showing the movemnet of data and clusters around the disk and
>> one could see if the defrag would hang and estimate how many more hours ;-((
>>
>> Quite useful.
>>
>> Is it true that my current VISTA Home Premium does NOT show anything but a Defrag START button?
>>
>> I do not even see which of my 2 each 320 GB discs are being defragged...
>>
>> Am I overseeing something?
>>
>> Are there any reliable tools out there that will do the job the oldfashioned way?
>>
>> Looking forward,
>>
>> Maria

> Two that I can think of:
>
> Diskeeper
> Perfect Disk
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Server - Directory Services

Benjamin

Re: Defrag settings & progress invisible?

Yeah, Diskeeper is certified for Vista, and it's automatic defrag works
great. No need for scheduling with manual defrags. Diskeeper
automatically takes care of defragmentation of the drives you specify,
quietly behind the scenes.

--
Benjamin
Hank Arnold (MVP)

Re: Defrag settings & progress invisible?
They certainly are compatible. I've used both on Vista Home Premium
(Diskeeper is my choice) for months now.

I've not heard of a commercial mainstream defrag program that isn't
safe. Complaints are usually about speed, effectiveness, price,
interface and such.

Regardless, always have a good, solid backup strategy.

--

MPS wrote:
> Thanks Hank --
>
> am I right to assume from your suggestion these apps are compatible as
> well as harmless/safe to use
> with VISTA?
>
> I'd hate to mess up 740 Gigs of Data.
>
> Ciao, Maria
>

> "Hank Arnold (MVP)" <rasilon@aol.com> schreef in bericht
>> MPS wrote:
>>> Following a recent new install I decided to defrag now.
>>>
>>> In other OS I used to have a simple box with some choice of settings
>>> - do you want this or that and repeatedly etc.?
>>>
>>> Also one would have a large window showing the movemnet of data and
>>> clusters around the disk and one could see if the defrag would hang
>>> and estimate how many more hours ;-((
>>>
>>> Quite useful.
>>>
>>> Is it true that my current VISTA Home Premium does NOT show anything
>>> but a Defrag START button?
>>>
>>> I do not even see which of my 2 each 320 GB discs are being
>>> defragged...
>>>
>>> Am I overseeing something?
>>>
>>> Are there any reliable tools out there that will do the job the
>>> oldfashioned way?
>>>
>>> Looking forward,
>>>
>>> Maria

>> Two that I can think of:
>>
>> Diskeeper
>> Perfect Disk
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hank Arnold
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Server - Directory Services

MPS

Re: Defrag settings & progress invisible?
Thanks guys,

I will look into your suggestions and apps right after... my holiday break!

Ciao,

Maria