Clear Recent Documents

ARIS

Clear Recent Documents
I'm using Vista Home Premium. Under Favorite Links -Searches can you clear
the recent documents, recent E-mail, recent music and so on files? Thank you.
robert.stojanov@gmail.com

Re: Clear Recent Documents
Yes, you can.

dean-dean

Re: Clear Recent Documents
If you are referring to the shortcut to "Recently Changed", under Favorite
Links, that is a shortcut to a Search Folder, which is of the file type
".search-ms" (a super-hidden file extension); it lists files on your
computer that meet a certain criteria. It is not a Folder, or directory, in
the normal sense. Deleting files in that "saved Search" will delete the
actual files from your computer, wherever they may be, in whatever folder
they may be in. You can right-click on each file to choose Open File
Location, or Properties, to see where the file is actually stored.

You can delete the files in the list that is presented, but keep the above
explanation in mind...

"ARIS" <ARIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Vista Home Premium. Under Favorite Links -Searches can you clear
> the recent documents, recent E-mail, recent music and so on files? Thank
> you.

ARIS

Re: Clear Recent Documents
Thank you for your reply. So there is no way to clear those searches without
deleting the actual files? If not, does it atleast updates once a while. I
mean will the old search files be reblaced by more recent ones, or will the
list be getting longer and longer. I hope you understand what I mean. Thank
you.

"dean-dean" wrote:

> If you are referring to the shortcut to "Recently Changed", under Favorite
> Links, that is a shortcut to a Search Folder, which is of the file type
> ".search-ms" (a super-hidden file extension); it lists files on your
> computer that meet a certain criteria. It is not a Folder, or directory, in
> the normal sense. Deleting files in that "saved Search" will delete the
> actual files from your computer, wherever they may be, in whatever folder
> they may be in. You can right-click on each file to choose Open File
> Location, or Properties, to see where the file is actually stored.
>
> You can delete the files in the list that is presented, but keep the above
> explanation in mind...
>
> "ARIS" <ARIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm using Vista Home Premium. Under Favorite Links -Searches can you clear
> > the recent documents, recent E-mail, recent music and so on files? Thank
> > you.

Jeannie in WA

Re: Clear Recent Documents
I noticed that deleted files are also included in the lists and can't be
deleted because windows can't find them so they stay on the list!

"ARIS" wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. So there is no way to clear those searches without
> deleting the actual files? If not, does it atleast updates once a while. I
> mean will the old search files be reblaced by more recent ones, or will the
> list be getting longer and longer. I hope you understand what I mean. Thank
> you.
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
> > If you are referring to the shortcut to "Recently Changed", under Favorite
> > Links, that is a shortcut to a Search Folder, which is of the file type
> > ".search-ms" (a super-hidden file extension); it lists files on your
> > computer that meet a certain criteria. It is not a Folder, or directory, in
> > the normal sense. Deleting files in that "saved Search" will delete the
> > actual files from your computer, wherever they may be, in whatever folder
> > they may be in. You can right-click on each file to choose Open File
> > Location, or Properties, to see where the file is actually stored.
> >
> > You can delete the files in the list that is presented, but keep the above
> > explanation in mind...
> >
> > "ARIS" <ARIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm using Vista Home Premium. Under Favorite Links -Searches can you clear
> > > the recent documents, recent E-mail, recent music and so on files? Thank
> > > you.

Yaz

Re: Clear Recent Documents
Hey there,

I also have a file which i cannot delete permanently. I accepted the file by
mistake in a transfer in an instant messaging chat. I deleted file from
"recently changed" and deleted the same file from "recycle bin". Although I
cannot open the file in "recently changed" as it states it has been deleted.
The file still remains in the list and the icon shows the picture content
which is visible.

How can I delete the file permantently from "recently changed" so it is no
longer shown in the list and no longer on my laptop. Dell advised me to
restore my laptop back to factory settings, but surely there is a much
simpler and quicker way rather than restoring.

I have already deleted the file from "recent items", but I want permanently
deleted from "recently changed" so it is not listed".

Sorry I am not very IT minded so hope the above does not sound too
ridiculous!!

Please help......thanks

Yaz

"Jeannie in WA" wrote:

> I noticed that deleted files are also included in the lists and can't be
> deleted because windows can't find them so they stay on the list!
>

> "ARIS" wrote:
>
> > Thank you for your reply. So there is no way to clear those searches without
> > deleting the actual files? If not, does it atleast updates once a while. I
> > mean will the old search files be reblaced by more recent ones, or will the
> > list be getting longer and longer. I hope you understand what I mean. Thank
> > you.
> >
> > "dean-dean" wrote:
> >
> > > If you are referring to the shortcut to "Recently Changed", under Favorite
> > > Links, that is a shortcut to a Search Folder, which is of the file type
> > > ".search-ms" (a super-hidden file extension); it lists files on your
> > > computer that meet a certain criteria. It is not a Folder, or directory, in
> > > the normal sense. Deleting files in that "saved Search" will delete the
> > > actual files from your computer, wherever they may be, in whatever folder
> > > they may be in. You can right-click on each file to choose Open File
> > > Location, or Properties, to see where the file is actually stored.
> > >
> > > You can delete the files in the list that is presented, but keep the above
> > > explanation in mind...

TMF51

Re: Clear Recent Documents
I have the same problem with a "link" that is hung up in the recent file and
will not be deleted. The properties for the link identify it as being in
c:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Re cent, however, it is not
there, and it has 0 bytes. How can I delete it?