Personal Folders (Downloads/Favourites etc) Lost

Mullin

Personal Folders (Downloads/Favourites etc) Lost

OK, I've installed Vista for the first time and discovered the cool feature
that Vista Personal Folder (contacts, favourites, documents etc) can be moved
ie. your "downloads" folder can be pointed to a directory on another drive if
you want to store the goodies there. Great, so I redirect Download,
Favourites and a few others to my second HDD.

The Problem:
When I made the change the second HDD was F: and my DVD drive was E:
I've since changed the drive letter allocations so the second HDD is E: and
the DVD drive is F:
Vista didn't like this, as my personal folders were all pointing to and
address on a DVD drive... as a result they have all dissapeared. Now in the
personal folder I don't even have a directory called 'downloads' or
'favourites'. Also, you can't just create a new dir as it will not have the
ability to be redirected like the original personal folders.
Another byproduct of this is I have no favourites on IE7. By that, I mean I
can't access, save or manage favourites because the location doesn't exist.
When I click 'add to favourites' or 'organise favourites' nothing happens.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mullin
dean-dean

Re: Personal Folders (Downloads/Favourites etc) Lost
Try changing the drive letters back to the way they were originally, then go
the special user folders on F: and right-click each one, choosing
Properties. On the Location tab, click on Restore Default. This should put
the location of the folders under C:\Users\(Your Name). Then change the
drive letters as you want them, and then move the special folders back to
where you want them...

"Mullin" <Mullin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news0B6F800-69C6-4CDE-8ECC-3F2C9292FEA6@microsoft.com...

> OK, I've installed Vista for the first time and discovered the cool
> feature
> that Vista Personal Folder (contacts, favourites, documents etc) can be
> moved
> ie. your "downloads" folder can be pointed to a directory on another drive
> if
> you want to store the goodies there. Great, so I redirect Download,
> Favourites and a few others to my second HDD.
>
> The Problem:
> When I made the change the second HDD was F: and my DVD drive was E:
> I've since changed the drive letter allocations so the second HDD is E:
> and
> the DVD drive is F:
> Vista didn't like this, as my personal folders were all pointing to and
> address on a DVD drive... as a result they have all dissapeared. Now in
> the
> personal folder I don't even have a directory called 'downloads' or
> 'favourites'. Also, you can't just create a new dir as it will not have
> the
> ability to be redirected like the original personal folders.
> Another byproduct of this is I have no favourites on IE7. By that, I mean
> can't access, save or manage favourites because the location doesn't
> exist.
> When I click 'add to favourites' or 'organise favourites' nothing happens.
>
> Help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mullin

brink

Mullin;453517 Wrote:
> OK, I've installed Vista for the first time and discovered the cool
> feature
> that Vista Personal Folder (contacts, favourites, documents etc) can be
> moved
> ie. your "downloads" folder can be pointed to a directory on another
> drive if
> you want to store the goodies there. Great, so I redirect Download,
> Favourites and a few others to my second HDD.
>
> The Problem:
> When I made the change the second HDD was F: and my DVD drive was E:
> I've since changed the drive letter allocations so the second HDD is E:
> and
> the DVD drive is F:
> Vista didn't like this, as my personal folders were all pointing to and
> address on a DVD drive... as a result they have all dissapeared. Now in
> the
> personal folder I don't even have a directory called 'downloads' or
> 'favourites'. Also, you can't just create a new dir as it will not have
> the
> ability to be redirected like the original personal folders.
> Another byproduct of this is I have no favourites on IE7. By that, I
> mean I
> can't access, save or manage favourites because the location doesn't
> exist.
> When I click 'add to favourites' or 'organise favourites' nothing
> happens.
>
> Help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mullin

Hi Mullin,

First, try putting the drive letters back the way they were and change
the location for the personal folders back to C:\users\(your username)"
(no quotes). Change the drives, then change the folders.

ALSO,
You can try using the Shell command to see if you locate and open them.
You can then change them to the correct locations. See this tutorial for
how to use it.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91...l-command.html

Shell commands for your user folders:
1. shell:Contacts
2. shell:desktop
3. shell:downloads
4. shell:Favorites
5. shell:SavedGames
6. shell:Links
7. shell:My Music
8. shell:My Pictures
9. shell:My Video
10. shell:Searches
11. shell:Personal (Documents folder)

If this is a no go, then you might try copying from or recreating the
folder in "C:\Users\(your username)" and add the desktop.ini for that
specific folder. You can use this tutorial as a guide.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/90...l-folders.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--