Could not find this item

Tim

Could not find this item
I'm trying to delete a folder that contained a wmv file... I deleted the
file and the folder's empty but when I try to remove the folder I get the
following error:

"Could not find this item... This is no longer located in C:\users....
Verify the item's location and try again."

The folder shows up in search and of course it appears where it was
originally placed... I did a reboot and chkdsk...

Any way to get rid of the folder ??

Thanks,

brink

Re: Could not find this item

Tim;453440 Wrote:
> I'm trying to delete a folder that contained a wmv file... I deleted the
> file and the folder's empty but when I try to remove the folder I get
> the
> following error:
>
> "Could not find this item... This is no longer located in C:\users....
> Verify the item's location and try again."
>
> The folder shows up in search and of course it appears where it was
> originally placed... I did a reboot and chkdsk...
>
> Any way to get rid of the folder ??
>
> Thanks,

Hi Tim,

You can try to take ownership of the folder first, then try to delete
it. This tutorial will show you how.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html

Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Tim

Re: Could not find this item
Thanks but no joy... the command line option just fails and through
explorer, the security tab on the properties dialog says with a nice red X:

"The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be
displayed."

"brink" <brink.2x0n43@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Tim;453440 Wrote:
>> I'm trying to delete a folder that contained a wmv file... I deleted the
>> file and the folder's empty but when I try to remove the folder I get
>> the
>> following error:
>>
>> "Could not find this item... This is no longer located in C:\users....
>> Verify the item's location and try again."
>>
>> The folder shows up in search and of course it appears where it was
>> originally placed... I did a reboot and chkdsk...
>>
>> Any way to get rid of the folder ??
>>
>> Thanks,

> Hi Tim,
>
> You can try to take ownership of the folder first, then try to delete
> it. This tutorial will show you how.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> _http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_

R. C. White

Re: Could not find this item
Hi, Tim.

> Thanks but no joy... the command line option just fails

You DID run the Command Prompt *as Administrator*, didn't you? See Brink's
instruction 3 on that page.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Tim" <mtguy26505@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks but no joy... the command line option just fails and through
> explorer, the security tab on the properties dialog says with a nice red
> X:
>
> "The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be
> displayed."
>
> "brink" <brink.2x0n43@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Tim;453440 Wrote:
>>> I'm trying to delete a folder that contained a wmv file... I deleted the
>>> file and the folder's empty but when I try to remove the folder I get
>>> the
>>> following error:
>>>
>>> "Could not find this item... This is no longer located in C:\users....
>>> Verify the item's location and try again."
>>>
>>> The folder shows up in search and of course it appears where it was
>>> originally placed... I did a reboot and chkdsk...
>>>
>>> Any way to get rid of the folder ??
>>>
>>> Thanks,

>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> You can try to take ownership of the folder first, then try to delete
>> it. This tutorial will show you how.
>>
>> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html
>>
>> Shawn
>>

>> --
>> brink

Tim

Re: Could not find this item
Thanks... yes and the command line comes back with the error: "invalid or
cannot find"... it's like it's not there... except that it is <sighs>

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Tim.
>
>> Thanks but no joy... the command line option just fails

> You DID run the Command Prompt *as Administrator*, didn't you? See
> Brink's instruction 3 on that page.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "Tim" <mtguy26505@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks but no joy... the command line option just fails and through
>> explorer, the security tab on the properties dialog says with a nice red
>> X:
>>
>> "The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be
>> displayed."
>>
>> "brink" <brink.2x0n43@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

>>> Hi Tim,
>>>
>>> You can try to take ownership of the folder first, then try to delete
>>> it. This tutorial will show you how.
>>>
>>> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html
>>>
>>> Shawn
>>>

>>> --
>>> brink

R. C. White

Re: Could not find this item
Hi, Tim.

Then it may be time to bring out the super-finder: Dir!

In the Administrator:Command Prompt:
dir c:\*.wmv /s/a

If it's a big drive with lots of files, you may have time for a cup of
coffee, but if it's there, this should find it.

And, once you know the name of the folder, browse to its parent and use
Remove Directory (rmdir or just rd) with the /s switch to remove the entire
directory tree, including all subfolders and files:
rd <foldername> /s

It will ask if you're sure; say yes. Should only take a second.

Let us know what happens. It ALWAYS works - sometimes. ;^}

RC
--

news4474B21-E515-4111-A523-E68A954EBA9C@microsoft.com...
> Thanks... yes and the command line comes back with the error: "invalid or
> cannot find"... it's like it's not there... except that it is <sighs>
>
> "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
>> Hi, Tim.
>>
>>> Thanks but no joy... the command line option just fails

>> You DID run the Command Prompt *as Administrator*, didn't you? See
>> Brink's instruction 3 on that page.
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Tim" <mtguy26505@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks but no joy... the command line option just fails and through
>>> explorer, the security tab on the properties dialog says with a nice red
>>> X:
>>>
>>> "The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be
>>> displayed."

dean-dean

Re: Could not find this item
In Windows Media Player > Tools > Options, on the Rip Music tab, is that
folder the location given for "Rip music to this location"? If so, can you
change the location?

"Tim" <mtguy26505@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news4474B21-E515-4111-A523-E68A954EBA9C@microsoft.com...
> Thanks... yes and the command line comes back with the error: "invalid or
> cannot find"... it's like it's not there... except that it is <sighs>
>
> "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
>> Hi, Tim.
>>
>>> Thanks but no joy... the command line option just fails

>> You DID run the Command Prompt *as Administrator*, didn't you? See
>> Brink's instruction 3 on that page.
>>
>> RC
>> --
>> R. C. White, CPA
>> San Marcos, TX
>> rc@grandecom.net
>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>> (Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)
>>
>> "Tim" <mtguy26505@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks but no joy... the command line option just fails and through
>>> explorer, the security tab on the properties dialog says with a nice red
>>> X:
>>>
>>> "The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be
>>> displayed."

Tim

Re: Could not find this item
well this is just bizarre... the folder shows up with the dir command but it
WILL not allow me to remove it... so i tried putting a few files in there
and it created a NEW directory with the same file name... so then there were
two...both empty... i deleted the one of them and now the folder's
displaying with the files i copied into it... which of course... cannot be
deleted... same errors... it's not there... back in the old days i used
norton to fix crap like this directly on the disk... any other ideas ??

thanks for sticking with this one...

> Hi, Tim.
>
> Then it may be time to bring out the super-finder: Dir!
>
> In the Administrator:Command Prompt:
> dir c:\*.wmv /s/a
>
> If it's a big drive with lots of files, you may have time for a cup of
> coffee, but if it's there, this should find it.
>
> And, once you know the name of the folder, browse to its parent and use
> Remove Directory (rmdir or just rd) with the /s switch to remove the
> entire directory tree, including all subfolders and files:
> rd <foldername> /s
>
> It will ask if you're sure; say yes. Should only take a second.
>
> Let us know what happens. It ALWAYS works - sometimes. ;^}
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "Tim" <mtguy26505@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news4474B21-E515-4111-A523-E68A954EBA9C@microsoft.com...
>> Thanks... yes and the command line comes back with the error: "invalid or
>> cannot find"... it's like it's not there... except that it is <sighs>
>>
>> "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi, Tim.

>>> You DID run the Command Prompt *as Administrator*, didn't you? See
>>> Brink's instruction 3 on that page.
>>>
>>> RC

brink

Re: Could not find this item

dean-dean;454904 Wrote:

> In Windows Media Player > Tools > Options, on the Rip Music tab, is
> that
> folder the location given for "Rip music to this location"? If so, can
> you
> change the location?

Tim,

Have you checked into Dean Dean's idea?

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Tim

Re: Could not find this item
Sorry, yes I checked... the folder I can't get rid of is NOT the rip to
folder in media player...