Moving Personal Folders: Not Intuitive and With Serious Traps

René G-L

Moving Personal Folders: Not Intuitive and With Serious Traps
I have several problems with the feature Properties/Location/Move...

I have a new ACER Aspire 9410Z laptop running on Vista Home Premium. It was
shipped with two partitions on the hard disk: ACER (C where everything is
installed and ACERDATA (D, almost empty. I want to use drive C:\ for
software and drive D:\ for personal files and folders.

1. minor Problem (but needs fixing in the future!):
I therefore moved the current Users folder "Documents" to a folder I created
on D:\ called "[Current User' Name] Documents". Although this worked fine and
the Documents folder in Windows Explorer showed the files like nothing had
happened although the contents of "Documents" had obviously been written to
the location I specified (which is the intention, I take it), the other
account on my Laptop also has access to these Documents.

2. minor Problem (but needs fixing in the future!):
And when I go onto drive D:\ with the Windows Exlorer I see only a blue
folder called "Documents". Correct would be this: folders under "Current
User" should show only "Documents" and redirect to D:\[Current User's Name]
Documents\Documents, as it does. But when I look at the hard drive via
Computer\ACERDATA (D I should see the true location in order to be able to
move all the other folders (Picture, Music etc) as well.
I therefore moved them back by restoring to default location, which worked
fine.

3. minor Problem (but needs fixing in the future!):
I then wanted to move "Contacts" directly onto D:\. With the commands
Properties/Location/Move... I chose D:\ as the target location.But this
apparently means that I can not move any of the other folders (Documents,
Music, Pictures etc) to drive D:\. Vista warns me that this would mean that
the folders will merge and won't be able to relocate to original folder,
which I certainly don't want to do. Correct behaviour would be: Vista makes a
folder called "[Current User's Name]\Contacts on D:\ and shows only Contacts
under "Current User" in the folders bar of Windows Explorer.

3. Problem, this one is a serious bug!
When I want to undo what I did with "Contacts" by choosing
Properties/Location/Restore Default and click Apply I get this error: "Failed
to build the list of regular subfolders under "D:\MSOCache" Access is
denied." The folder "Contacts" can't be moved anywhere anymore, I have tried
other locations.

4. Problem:
Moreover after a Restart I now have a folder called ACERDATA (D instead of
"Contacts".

5. Serious Problem:
So at the moment I can't move anything to drive D:\ anymore, as the contacts
are sitting there without a folder and can't be moved.

Please help me get out of this mess and descibe how to organise the private
folders, so that all Users can have their personal folders on another drive
(meaning not C:\) but not look into eachothers files (That's what "Public" is
for). This needs to go into Help, where everything sounds just so easy...!

Thank you so much!
Chipper

RE: Moving Personal Folders: Not Intuitive and With Serious Traps
I have a similar problem to this one:

> 3. Problem, this one is a serious bug!
> When I want to undo what I did with "Contacts" by choosing
> Properties/Location/Restore Default and click Apply I get this error: "Failed
> to build the list of regular subfolders under "D:\MSOCache" Access is
> denied." The folder "Contacts" can't be moved anywhere anymore, I have tried
> other locations.

has anyone found a solution? I moved the Documents folder without creating a
destination folder on the data partition for it to go into - ie the Documents
folder *is* the data partition now! How can I move it back to how it was
initially on C and then be able to move it correctly?
I tried just like in the quote above and it returned same access denied
message.

Can anyone help?

"René G-L" wrote:

> [...]
> to build the list of regular subfolders under "D:\MSOCache" Access is
> denied." The folder "Contacts" can't be moved anywhere anymore, I have tried
> other locations.
>
> 4. Problem:
> Moreover after a Restart I now have a folder called ACERDATA (D instead of
> "Contacts".
>
> 5. Serious Problem:
> So at the moment I can't move anything to drive D:\ anymore, as the contacts
> are sitting there without a folder and can't be moved.
>
> Please help me get out of this mess and descibe how to organise the private
> folders, so that all Users can have their personal folders on another drive
> (meaning not C:\) but not look into eachothers files (That's what "Public" is
> for). This needs to go into Help, where everything sounds just so easy...!

kelly

RE: Moving Personal Folders: Not Intuitive and With Serious Traps
I also did the same thing. My documents folder is now Data (D). I can't
redirect it anywhere else.

Has anyone got a solution?