Consequences of deleting music, video etc folders?

joe public

Consequences of deleting music, video etc folders?

Hi,

I'd like to delete the folders that appear in the user directory -
music, video etc. I'm the only user of the computer. I presume you do
so editing these reg keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\explorer\Shell
Folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\explorer\User
Shell Folders

What I'm wondering is, are they any unforeseen bad consequences of
doing this?

Thanks.

--
joe public
brink

Re: Consequences of deleting music, video etc folders?

joe public;451275 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to delete the folders that appear in the user directory -
> music, video etc. I'm the only user of the computer. I presume you do so
> editing these reg keys:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
> Folders
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\explorer\Shell
> Folders
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\explorer\User
> Shell Folders
>
> What I'm wondering is, are they any unforeseen bad consequences of
> doing this?
>
> Thanks.

Hi Joe Public,

I would leave the personal user folders alone. They are tied into a
lot of items in Vista.

Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*
R. C. White

Re: Consequences of deleting music, video etc folders?
Hi, Joe.

As Shawn said, those are special folders, so I wouldn't go changing them in
the Registry unless you know more about them than I do.

But you can right-click on them in Windows Explorer and set their Properties
to Hidden. Will that accomplish your purpose?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"joe public" <joe.public.2wvhp0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to delete the folders that appear in the user directory -
> music, video etc. I'm the only user of the computer. I presume you do
> so editing these reg keys:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
> Folders
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\explorer\Shell
> Folders
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\explorer\User
> Shell Folders
>
> What I'm wondering is, are they any unforeseen bad consequences of
> doing this?
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> joe public

joe public

Re: Consequences of deleting music, video etc folders?

Thanks guys,

hiding them doesn't really cut it, but nice idea. I suppose I'm just
being picky about what I want to appear on menus, how I organise my
files etc - and it was easy and inconsequential on XP to permanently
remove my docs etc.

Anyway, I'll leave them be - it hardly seems worth mucking around if
there's much at risk - although I'm quite happy fiddling with the reg...

joe public;456143 Wrote:
> Thanks guys,
>
> hiding them doesn't really cut it, but nice idea. I suppose I'm just
> being picky about what I want to appear on menus, how I organise my
> files etc - and it was easy and inconsequential on XP to permanently
> remove my docs etc.
>
> Anyway, I'll leave them be - it hardly seems worth mucking around if
> there's much at risk - although I'm quite happy fiddling with the reg...

Your welcome,

Yeah, I know how you feel. Just about everything revolves around the
personal folders though, in one way or another.

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*