VISTA: Numerous Problems

radioman

VISTA: Numerous Problems
Hello,
My son got me a new Acer notebook PC, model #ZR1 last week. It has the new
Vista operating system equipted on it and it is giving me some troubles.
They would seem to be minor to some, but after having XP ust the troublefree
way I like it. they are a big deal to me. I've called Acer a couple times
and each time they had had me restore the system to factory specs which just
got me off the phone and no help at all.

Specifically the 3 biggies are:
1. My polaroaid digital camera, w/ software installed will not fully open
upto allow transfer of pictures to PC via USB. I sent E-mail to Polaroid in
hopes there are a patch or fix for this problem. 3 days, no answer. Sending
again after this.

2. When I download thumbnails from a site, they will not open any bigger on
the notebook than the original thumbnails. NOTE: When done from same site on
a PC with XP home, they will enlarge in about 97% of the cases.

3. Similar with screensavers. Most won't open up once downloaded.same
circumstances as above. On #1, #2, the downloads were found through Google
and the subject matter was my favorite actress, Alicia Silverstone.

Now, Does anyone know anything about any similar problems or conflicts being
reporter and / or any repairs for same.

Please help. I am a candidate for a heart transplant and my notebook is my
only companionship every day. When things go well, time flies by quickly.
these problems make time drag on and on.

Thank you to all for any ideas or suggestions.

God Bless,
Radioman (Ray Miller)

R. C. White

Re: VISTA: Numerous Problems
Hi, Radioman.

Maybe I can help with your number 1.

I know nothing of Polaroid cameras or Acer PCs. But with my new Nikon
COOLPIX L12 digital camera (and the COOLPIX 3200 that preceded it), I have
at least 3 options to move photos into my computer, either to Windows Photo
Gallery or Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0.

1. Install and run the Nikon software that came with the camera.

2. Plug in the USB cable and use Windows Explorer to copy files from the
camera to the computer. This will transfer files from either the SD card or
from the camera's 16 MB internal memory. You can set AutoPlay to
automatically transfer the photos into Windows Photo Gallery.

3. The camera uses SD (Secure Digital) cards. So I bought a SanDisk SD
card reader. (There are a lot of fancy models that read CF, Memory Stick
and other forms of flash memory, but mine is a small, cheap unit that reads
only SD, since that is the only kind I have.)

Method 3 is the one that I use almost always. Just pop the SD card out of
the camera and into the reader. Then tell PSE 4 to Get photos from camera
or card reader, and follow the prompts.

If you need more specific instructions, please tell us your camera model,
what kind of memory it uses, and what photo software you use.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX