CANNOT FIND ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!

Annie

CANNOT FIND ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!
I'm ready to toss this darn computer along with Vista out the window!!!!!
I've only had it a few days. All I'm trying to do is download Paint Shop Pro
X and install it.

I've downloaded twice. Can't find the darn files, even with a search. When
prompted, immediately after downloading, to 'run' the file, I click on it
and nothing happens.

What is going on? I miss Windows XP!!!!! Please help me figure this out.
I'm dying here.
Bruce Chambers

Re: CANNOT FIND ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!
Annie wrote:
> I'm ready to toss this darn computer along with Vista out the window!!!!!
> I've only had it a few days. All I'm trying to do is download Paint Shop Pro
> X and install it.
>
> I've downloaded twice. Can't find the darn files, even with a search. When
> prompted, immediately after downloading, to 'run' the file, I click on it
> and nothing happens.

When you download a file, somply pay attention to where you tell Vista
to save it. (The default location is the desktop, of all things.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Dave

Re: CANNOT FIND ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!
If you are using Internet Explorer 7, when you download a file, it shows you
where it's going, and gives you a chance to change the location.

Is PSPX compatible with Vista? Some older programs are not.

"Annie" <Annie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm ready to toss this darn computer along with Vista out the window!!!!!
> I've only had it a few days. All I'm trying to do is download Paint Shop
> Pro
> X and install it.
>
> I've downloaded twice. Can't find the darn files, even with a search.
> When
> prompted, immediately after downloading, to 'run' the file, I click on it
> and nothing happens.
>
> What is going on? I miss Windows XP!!!!! Please help me figure this out.
> I'm dying here.

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: CANNOT FIND ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:48:38 -0400, "Dave" <dave@beepbeep.com> wrote:

> If you are using Internet Explorer 7, when you download a file, it shows you
> where it's going, and gives you a chance to change the location.
>
> Is PSPX compatible with Vista? Some older programs are not.

I don't know the answer for sure, but I run PSP8 under Vista here
without a problem, so my guess is that newer versions are compatible.

> "Annie" <Annie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm ready to toss this darn computer along with Vista out the window!!!!!
> > I've only had it a few days. All I'm trying to do is download Paint Shop
> > Pro
> > X and install it.
> >
> > I've downloaded twice. Can't find the darn files, even with a search.
> > When
> > prompted, immediately after downloading, to 'run' the file, I click on it
> > and nothing happens.
> >
> > What is going on? I miss Windows XP!!!!! Please help me figure this out.
> > I'm dying here.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
dean-dean

Re: CANNOT FIND ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!
Definitely download it to a folder under your user name. Try the Desktop,
which, from there, you can always move it to a different folder. If the
file is truly downloaded, you won't be able to miss it. I usually drag it
it into the Recycle Bin, if it's a setup file for a program, after running
the installation...

Do you have any anti-virus software running that might be batting it away,
so to speak?

"Annie" <Annie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm ready to toss this darn computer along with Vista out the window!!!!!
> I've only had it a few days. All I'm trying to do is download Paint Shop
> Pro
> X and install it.
>
> I've downloaded twice. Can't find the darn files, even with a search.
> When
> prompted, immediately after downloading, to 'run' the file, I click on it
> and nothing happens.
>
> What is going on? I miss Windows XP!!!!! Please help me figure this out.
> I'm dying here.

Annie

Re: CANNOT FIND ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!
I have disabled my anti-virus and downloaded to c:\user\name\desktop\blah,
blah, blah....it's nowhere on my desktop. When searching for it, clicking
'show hidden files' etc., my computer can't find it. It says it downloaded
104.63 M. Asks to launch, which it won't. Asks to run, which it won't. I
can't even find it to delete it. I seriously don't know what else to do.

To Bruce...obviously you've never had computer problems. I will never give
up on this thing. I stay up way later than normal and give my utmost
attention to my computer probs. This was my frustration speaking as I'm
trying my hardest to resolve this issue and haven't been having any luck
whatsoever. The word 'luck' is also just a figure of speech. There is no
luck with computers.

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Definitely download it to a folder under your user name. Try the Desktop,
> which, from there, you can always move it to a different folder. If the
> file is truly downloaded, you won't be able to miss it. I usually drag it
> it into the Recycle Bin, if it's a setup file for a program, after running
> the installation...
>
> Do you have any anti-virus software running that might be batting it away,
> so to speak?
>
> "Annie" <Annie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm ready to toss this darn computer along with Vista out the window!!!!!
> > I've only had it a few days. All I'm trying to do is download Paint Shop
> > Pro
> > X and install it.
> >
> > I've downloaded twice. Can't find the darn files, even with a search.
> > When
> > prompted, immediately after downloading, to 'run' the file, I click on it
> > and nothing happens.
> >
> > What is going on? I miss Windows XP!!!!! Please help me figure this out.
> > I'm dying here.

Annie

Re: CANNOT FIND ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!
So how did you download it? I'm doing it online, no CD. I would love your
help.

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:48:38 -0400, "Dave" <dave@beepbeep.com> wrote:
>
> > If you are using Internet Explorer 7, when you download a file, it shows you
> > where it's going, and gives you a chance to change the location.
> >
> > Is PSPX compatible with Vista? Some older programs are not.

> I don't know the answer for sure, but I run PSP8 under Vista here
> without a problem, so my guess is that newer versions are compatible.
>

> > "Annie" <Annie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm ready to toss this darn computer along with Vista out the window!!!!!
> > > I've only had it a few days. All I'm trying to do is download Paint Shop
> > > Pro
> > > X and install it.
> > >
> > > I've downloaded twice. Can't find the darn files, even with a search.
> > > When
> > > prompted, immediately after downloading, to 'run' the file, I click on it
> > > and nothing happens.
> > >
> > > What is going on? I miss Windows XP!!!!! Please help me figure this out.
> > > I'm dying here.

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

peter

Re: CANNOT FIND ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!
Open windows explorer and look
under...desktop/username/downloads..................
if the file is there ...right click and tick "run as
administrator"...........
see if that works
peter
>I have disabled my anti-virus and downloaded to c:\user\name\desktop\blah,
> blah, blah....it's nowhere on my desktop. When searching for it, clicking
> 'show hidden files' etc., my computer can't find it. It says it
> downloaded
> 104.63 M. Asks to launch, which it won't. Asks to run, which it won't. I
> can't even find it to delete it. I seriously don't know what else to do.
>

> To Bruce...obviously you've never had computer problems. I will never
> give
> up on this thing. I stay up way later than normal and give my utmost
> attention to my computer probs. This was my frustration speaking as I'm
> trying my hardest to resolve this issue and haven't been having any luck
> whatsoever. The word 'luck' is also just a figure of speech. There is no
> luck with computers.
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> Definitely download it to a folder under your user name. Try the
>> Desktop,
>> which, from there, you can always move it to a different folder. If the
>> file is truly downloaded, you won't be able to miss it. I usually drag
>> it
>> it into the Recycle Bin, if it's a setup file for a program, after
>> running
>> the installation...
>>
>> Do you have any anti-virus software running that might be batting it
>> away,
>> so to speak?
>>
>> "Annie" <Annie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm ready to toss this darn computer along with Vista out the
>> > window!!!!!
>> > I've only had it a few days. All I'm trying to do is download Paint
>> > Shop
>> > Pro
>> > X and install it.
>> >
>> > I've downloaded twice. Can't find the darn files, even with a search.
>> > When
>> > prompted, immediately after downloading, to 'run' the file, I click on
>> > it
>> > and nothing happens.
>> >
>> > What is going on? I miss Windows XP!!!!! Please help me figure this
>> > out.
>> > I'm dying here.

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: CANNOT FIND ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 04:02:02 -0700, Annie
<Annie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> So how did you download it? I'm doing it online, no CD. I would love your
> help.

I didn't download it all. I installed it from the CD.

But as far as downloading a file, it's the same for any file. Read
Dave's answer. It asks you where to download it to. You get the choice
of accepting the default, whatever it's set to, or changing it to
whatever you want. In my case, I download everything to a folder
called \dl that I've created for that purpose.

> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:48:38 -0400, "Dave" <dave@beepbeep.com> wrote:
> >
> > > If you are using Internet Explorer 7, when you download a file, it shows you
> > > where it's going, and gives you a chance to change the location.
> > >
> > > Is PSPX compatible with Vista? Some older programs are not.

> > I don't know the answer for sure, but I run PSP8 under Vista here
> > without a problem, so my guess is that newer versions are compatible.
> >

> > > "Annie" <Annie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
dean-dean

Re: CANNOT FIND ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!
That's a big file. Before a downloaded file is transferred to your chosen
folder location, its parts, so to speak, are downloaded to the Temporary
Internet Files folder.

Try this. Go to IE7 > Tools > Internet Options, and, on the
General tab, click on Settings, under the "Browsing history" section. In
the new window, next to "Disk space to use", try putting it at an
amount at least half of the highest number of what it says as
"(Recommended)"; for example, if it says 50- 250MB, try at least 125MB (the
default is 50, which is usually enough for browsing). Click OK.

Back on the General tab, under "Browsing history" again, click on Delete,
then click on Temporary Internet Files. Then try a download again.

If that doesn't work, it might be worth a try to create a new administrative
user account, if only temporarily, and see if downloading, while logged in
to the New Account, works. To create a new administrative account, open the
Start Menu, and click on your user picture. This opens Control Panel\User
Accounts. Then click on "Manage another account". Then click on "Create a
new account".