Trouble Back up & Restore in Vista?

tlc_13200@hotmail.com

Trouble Back up & Restore in Vista?
Perhaps I don't understand the real steps in how the backup works, but my
customer is questioning why his backup isn't working?!

He has an external hard drive attached to his VISTA machine, and he runs the
backup software but it doesn't show us the results on the external. It all
appears to look the same after it's complete.

We tested it by selecting "pictures" as a choice and it does it rather
quickly when it completed we looked on the external "J" drive and we can't
see where it saved it... but the backup software said it was successful.

Is there some place to show us the location as to where the back up went?
How can we be so certain it was successful!?
Eduardo Laureano [MSFT]

Re: Trouble Back up & Restore in Vista?
Hi, one way that you can try is by launching the "Restore Files" UI from
Backup and Restore Center. From there you'll have the ability to search your
backup contents (e.g. *.jpg) or browse for specific content in a folder
structure identical to what you have on your machine.

Alternatively you can look for a folder with your machine name at the root
of the volume you used as the backup destination. Inside of it you'll find
some folder called "Backup Set <timestamp>"

Eduardo

"tlc_13200@hotmail.com" <tlc13200hotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:B2E71A98-31B3-4248-8A27-913B491ADA2B@microsoft.com...
> Perhaps I don't understand the real steps in how the backup works, but my
> customer is questioning why his backup isn't working?!
>
> He has an external hard drive attached to his VISTA machine, and he runs
> the
> backup software but it doesn't show us the results on the external. It all
> appears to look the same after it's complete.
>
> We tested it by selecting "pictures" as a choice and it does it rather
> quickly when it completed we looked on the external "J" drive and we can't
> see where it saved it... but the backup software said it was successful.
>
> Is there some place to show us the location as to where the back up went?
> How can we be so certain it was successful!?

tlc_13200@hotmail.com

Re: Trouble Back up & Restore in Vista?
Hello Eduardo-

Thank you, we found it... it was saved on the external hard drive under the
customer's user name and under BACKUP and it displayed the backup folders.

Thank you, again!