Explorer crashes ?

Bob Johnston

Explorer crashes ?
Vista Ultimate - Recently I have started having a problem with explorer.
When I right click a file to copy, explorer sometimes crashes back to the
desktop. After two or three tries it will sometimes work, sometimes not. A
drag and drop over 2 windows always works so it is not the file itself.

dean-dean

Re: Explorer crashes ?
Have you installed any program recently that may have added a shell
extension to Windows Explorer? For example, a program that added an item to
the right-click context menu list when you right-click on a file or folder?

"Bob Johnston" <bbobjohnston@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Vista Ultimate - Recently I have started having a problem with explorer.
> When I right click a file to copy, explorer sometimes crashes back to the
> desktop. After two or three tries it will sometimes work, sometimes not. A
> drag and drop over 2 windows always works so it is not the file itself.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Explorer crashes ?
Hi Bob,

This is a shell extensions issue. The steps under "Method 2" in the following article ought to fix the problem:

Regards,

Windows« Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Bob Johnston" <bbobjohnston@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uFvVh9L9HHA.4584@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
Vista Ultimate - Recently I have started having a problem with explorer.
When I right click a file to copy, explorer sometimes crashes back to the
desktop. After two or three tries it will sometimes work, sometimes not. A
drag and drop over 2 windows always works so it is not the file itself.

sianwiseman

Re: Explorer crashes ?
I have spent the last two hours trying to eliminate the proble via your
suggestion to no avail. When I right click a file or folder I still get the
message "explorer closing etc". Where do I go from here?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> This is a shell extensions issue. The steps under "Method 2" in the following article ought to fix the problem:
>
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Bob Johnston" <bbobjohnston@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uFvVh9L9HHA.4584@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Vista Ultimate - Recently I have started having a problem with explorer.
> When I right click a file to copy, explorer sometimes crashes back to the
> desktop. After two or three tries it will sometimes work, sometimes not. A
> drag and drop over 2 windows always works so it is not the file itself.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Explorer crashes ?
Checked the event logs? It might provide more details about the crash.

--
Regards,

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> This is a shell extensions issue. The steps under "Method 2" in the following article ought to fix the problem:
>
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Bob Johnston" <bbobjohnston@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uFvVh9L9HHA.4584@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Vista Ultimate - Recently I have started having a problem with explorer.
> When I right click a file to copy, explorer sometimes crashes back to the
> desktop. After two or three tries it will sometimes work, sometimes not. A
> drag and drop over 2 windows always works so it is not the file itself.

Lee Beck

Re: Explorer crashes ?
I had a slightly different problem. In Vista 32 Win Explorer started
crashing only when I tried selecting files from certain folders - but it was
consistent. I ran the "Method 2" and found hundreds of files, which I
narrowed down by the "halfing" technique. Found the culprit and fixed the
problem. Great advice and great little program. Thanks!

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> This is a shell extensions issue. The steps under "Method 2" in the following article ought to fix the problem:
>
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Bob Johnston" <bbobjohnston@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uFvVh9L9HHA.4584@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Vista Ultimate - Recently I have started having a problem with explorer.
> When I right click a file to copy, explorer sometimes crashes back to the
> desktop. After two or three tries it will sometimes work, sometimes not. A
> drag and drop over 2 windows always works so it is not the file itself.

stshelman

Re: Explorer crashes ?

Hi,
Vista-Ultimate has some mismatches with some windows drivers that
results in explorer crash. I have a Toshiba T9 and I had this problem
with my sound card dirver . So I uninstalled it and everything went
right. Try to find what is making problem with your vista.

--
stshelman
GladiatorYU

Re: Explorer crashes ?

Hi. I have problem with crashing explorer after installing Directory
Opus. After that right click on desktop and then left click anywhere on
desktop, and explorer is down. Any solutions? Thanks in advance.

--
GladiatorYU